JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Schools Prepare for Potential Shutdown

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2626 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

My three secondary (high school) home students have chosen Earth and Space Science for this year. I wrote a h.s. curriculum for this subject just a year or so ago, but cannot find it. I will be directly tutoring math and grammar but want to teach the parents how to homeschool for all other subjects. I'm satisfied with the planner I came up with and gave the families options on how to use a planner and count credits.

I just finished creating an  Earth and Space curriculum that can be administered with parents as facilitators . I have 5 crossword puzzles with Earth and Space vocab and some matching cards. Then I printed out references from our literature, mostly Watchtowers and Awakes, that cover these subjects. I am suggesting that each of the three scholars pick one article a week to read through and then summarize it for the other two.

The activities I wrote so far are: How is a cling peach like the structure of the earth? (inner core, outer core, mantle, crust) - Demonstrating the rock cycle using jelly beans (heat and pressure), - Chocolate assisted Glacier movement,  Displacement using the rocks we collect, a clear bowl or glass and a marker;  A density tower using household liquids and food coloring; Rocket ships and Newton's Third law using balloons, string, and straws.  If they get through this early in the year, I would like to do some other mineral characteristics like strike, Moh's hardness scale, crystal structure, breakage and streak.  Each student can research his or her own interest and make a lapbook, if desired. 

We learned  from the comfort mag that David picked 5 smooth stones which suggests that they may have been bank run. We could try to duplicate his method of sling shooting (in a vacant open field).

On 8/13/2016 at 0:06 PM, kejedo said:

No Child Left Behind has been replaced with Every Student Succeeds Act. Wonder how that's working out:

One small example -  In Florida,parents of third grade honor students are suing because their children are not being promoted to fourth grade. They have been assigned to repeat third grade, despite having already finished it with honor grades.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/08/12/parents-sue-when-third-grade-honors-students-are-not-promoted-to-fourth-grade/ 

Kids with disability and minorities will be left out do to the fact that Schools and Teachers are not equip to deal or handle them  so they will be pass a long as all ways as  of today there are about 23% of Kids with  disability in the US , there are capable of learning  but there will be passed long . with out be teached and the teacher and School dont wont to know  how sad, i fill very sorry for these kids and the ones coming 

Edited by bobby

8 hours ago, bobby said:

Kids with disability and minorities will be left out do to the fact that Schools and Teachers are not equip to deal or handle them  so they will be pass a long as all ways as  of today there are about 23% of Kids with  disability in the US , there are capable of learning  but there will be passed long . with out be teached and the teacher and School dont wont to know  how sad, i fill very sorry for these kids and the ones coming 

23 per cent is a very modest estimate of students whose needs are not being met, imho.

10 hours ago, kejedo said:

23 per cent is a very modest estimate of students whose needs are not being met, imho.

oh i know its higher the schools dont went you to know the true #s do to the fact that there would be to many Q. and

fer of the mom and dad taking there kids out of school to home school them they have try to out law it hear in Cailf more 

than one time  

1 minute ago, bobby said:

oh i know its higher the schools dont went you to know the true #s do to the fact that there would be to many Q. and

fer of the mom and dad taking there kids out of school to home school them they have try to out law it hear in Cailf more 

than one time  

Wow!

• 2 weeks later...

I so wish I had a teacher like you for my granddaughters Pauline.  My granddaughter is going into Grade 3 and she hasn't learned a thing about the earth, and the solar system save but what I've taught her.  My husband often comments, what exactly are they teaching there? 

We started here

I home schooled my middle daughter who was reading well below her grade level and within 6 months was caught up, and surpassed her grade level.  My granddaughter is also having a hard time spelling, any tips other than repetition, rewriting and playing with the words....

Example, she has a spelling list, the words are:

Hard

Twenty

Thirty

Longer

Angry

Also

Monday

There's 3 more, which I can't recall.  I've had her first write the words, saying each letter.  She tries to read by sight recognition, but often mistakes an A for an L.....which is odd, am beginning to wonder about learning disabilities.  Will have to see.  Then we read the words together, and then I quiz her asking which word is which.  She's better at selecting the word out of the list...... and finds it difficult to write too.

Thank you, dear Sis. I had a fun and successful  rock walk with our homeschool group today.  Here are a few ways to teach spelling. http://teachmama.com/fun-ways-to-learn-spelling-words/ Personally, I glue larger letters onto a magnet and let the student arrange them on a cookie sheet. At third grade, unless there are vision problems, old scrabble letters can be used on magnetic tape.  I am not sure if the homeschool parents in my cong. want to teach cursive. I would recommend learning to print in the traditional 'italic script' which quickly lends it self to penmanship. en.islcollective.com has some useful spelling pages (with pictures) that you can customize. Correct spelling is not especially reinforced in school.  Asking her what she would like to spell may pre-empt the school assignment, if any there be.  Many school teachers are challenged when it comes to spelling.  We will definitely have fun with that planet video.  YS

On 9/20/2016 at 10:12 PM, Dustparticle said:

How low can it go?

:bible2:Dear brother, its very low and the Bible gives insight about the hope. It is really about the protection of the body being respectful to the God of life... 

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

On National Exams, homeschoolers average 87 th percentile, about 30 points over public school scores.

How does this compare to my local School District? In this highly touted and tightly regulated NY area, the Elementary School has earned a national score of 2, or severally below average, which would translate to approximately 20 to 21st percentile.

The middle school has been rated 3 on a national score, significantly below average, and translating to approximately 30 to 31st percentile, nationally.

The high school national rating is 5, just average, or translating to 50 -51st percentile, which would demonstrate the validity of the 30 plus percentile differential between homescholars and those publically educated.

A  pio sister has a Bible Study on the street right  next to our central school district location. Sis went to check in with her BS a few days ago and ran into a 'scary clown,' who has evidently taken up residence on this  street. I have no personal opinion or info on the scary clowns. If it is a 'hoax,' why perpetuate or jeopardize one's own standing/reputation/ by moving in to a dwelling which is yards from the local school buildings,  donning  a scary clown outfit with makeup, and walking around the school complex?  Theories abound, and I was told about this by another Sis in the car group. I haven't talked to the Sis who has the Bible student, but I am pretty sure her BS was at today's meeting.  Can it get any weirder?  (Rhetorical question.) Sadly, the answer is, "yes." 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It seems that some educators in Finland are proposing an interdisciplinary approach

http://www.theearthchild.co.za/finland-will-become-first-country-world-get-rid-school-subjects/

At least on paper, this sounds a bit similar to Foxfire, which has been around for decades.  

Edited by kejedo

• 3 weeks later...

A few news flashes caught my attention last night on NY/ NJ evening news (didn't catch all details as it was meeting night)

i.) School nurses are being trained to administer anti Heroin over-dose drug. http://6abc.com/news/school-nurses-provided-with-overdose-reversing-drug-in-ocean-co/1634943/  Apparently, this has been catching on for more than a year.( a bit ot: Some stores have made this available without  Rx.)

ii.) Many school cafeterias would be closed if they were judged by restaurant standards. Not brand new discoveries, but the number of unsafe school cafeterias in on the rise.

iii.) NY's  only Culinary High school has not had any working kitchens since June.  Students watch videos and read cook books. Halfway though this school year and not a single piece of cooking has been prepared.  http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/12/01/food-finance-high-school-stoves/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bobby, you probably remember when we were kids, being in awe when seeing the first small digital calculators at Radio Shack. They were at the time something like $125.00. No more Pee Chees...:D If you could ever afford one. Check out the prices in 1973

http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/radio_shack_original_prices.html