JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Brexit Ramifications

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2724 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

4 hours ago, Samira said:

after UK voted to leave the EU the Sterling lost on value

and it looks like nobody is willing to exchange, because the don't know the exact value of the Pound 

I'm sorry for reminding, but I really surprised by not seeing comments  like that

"Oh, now those Brits   people will  throw their money on the streets!"
I do remember such comments towards russians from some members here, about one year ago, when Crimea voted and russian ruble fell down.
(I have a good memory LOL) 

Nothing really personal, it's so good to be neutral :P

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

...and go where? Europe?

We might not necessarily have to "go" anywhere. We may receive instructions to stay at home with the door locked and curtains drawn. The point is to be ready for whatever happens next. You may have to leave your home if mobs are forming and roaming the streets. Who knows what's going to happen next, but it will happen fast.  Having a 3-day supply of necessities like it has been suggested by the GB is just makes good sense.....

It is interesting that Obama immediatly said that although the relationship between Britain and Europe has changed , the relationship with US remain the same ;  a very special one. This exit could be the beginning  of the end.  One of the main reasons two big wars took place in euro was extreme nationalism. It seems that Britain is going back to that trend. Now let’s wait and see how France  and Holland will react. They might joint the movement to separate instead of integrate and cooperate.

only one Britain. Great Britain is more accurate official term but most shorten it.  Some say Britain meaning the British Isles, and other just England or England & Scotland.

Same as you who are living in the States or America.:deadhorse:meaning the United :blink: States of America:poke:

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

2 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

Whats next.  Boris Johnson as Prime Minister and Donald Trump the US President.  The end is nigh! 

Do we need a new thread about the organisation's perspective on hair spray?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

8 hours ago, shans81 said:

Can someone please explain this in lamens terms? I have no idea what has actually happened, not really one for politics....only just seen posts about in on facebook

You're right Shannon, I never understood politics either. I just see political stuff in the news and I'm lost! (Who's Donald Trump? What does he do?) :confused:

But here's my question: Does this "leave" decision make any difference on the extent of the European Court of Humans Rights? Does it still (or, did it ever) cover the UK? The brothers often appeal to the ECHR when there's trouble in some country over there, including the brothers in Russia. But I never thought of Russia (or Kazakhstan, or Georgia, or Turkey, etc) as belonging to the European Union. Or do they?

20 minutes ago, Sheep said:

You're right Shannon, I never understood politics either. I just see political stuff in the news and I'm lost! (Who's Donald Trump? What does he do?) :confused:

But here's my question: Does this "leave" decision make any difference on the extent of the European Court of Humans Rights? Does it still (or, did it ever) cover the UK? The brothers often appeal to the ECHR when there's trouble in some country over there, including the brothers in Russia. But I never thought of Russia (or Kazakhstan, or Georgia, or Turkey, etc) as belonging to the European Union. Or do they?

The ECHR is not linked to the EU.  The ECHR is linked to the Council of Europe which Russia is part of.  Russia has nothing to do with the EU.

In principle, the UK will still be part of the CoE and linked to the ECHR but not the European Court of Justice as that is an EU related body.   How the law books of the UK will actually be re-written is one of the major issues around Brexit.

More here...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relationship_between_the_European_Court_of_Justice_and_European_Court_of_Human_Rights

http://wire.novaramedia.com/2016/03/brexit-what-it-does-and-doesnt-mean-for-human-rights/

Edited by seagull

4 minutes ago, seagull said:

The ECHR is linked to the Council of Europe which Russia is part of.

Okay, a little bit better. What of Russia's recent new law that says it doesn't have to abide by any decision made by any international court? Do you remember that? That law came along shortly after Russia lost in the ECHR when JWs pursued them. (I think that's the way it went.)

I think I'm pulling this thread a little :offtopic:

The Brexit drama and its ramifications will play out in the coming months, with political commentators giving these possibilities for other European countries:

• What Greece fears most is not an anti-EU referendum influenced by right-wing parties, but rather the EU pushing Greece out in order to save cohesion among the remaining members.
  • Denmark has so far relied on Britain as a strong ally in negotiations with the EU, Without Britain, Denmark won't have the locomotive to tow Danish interests.
  • Swedes probably would start to have bigger doubts about whether their voice as a smaller country without the euro would still be heard in Brussels, should the EU continue its integration process.
  • Geert Wilders, the head of a right-wing populist party, has supported a Brexit and hopes for a similar referendum to take place in the Netherlands.  His anti-muslim immigration stance is giving him a lead in the polls.
  • Hungary, as we know, was also opposed to the mass refugee influx, and was the first country to boldly close its borders. They will be having a referendum, which may further unsettle EU cohesion. Hungarians will be asked to decide whether the EU should be allowed to resettle refugees despite a lack of consent by national parliaments affected by the decision.
  • The French are some of the biggest EU skeptics: 61 percent have an unfavorable view of the union.  France still has not managed to fully escape high unemployment numbers and weak economic growth. Many French also watched with disbelief when Merkel opened Germany's borders to Syrian refugees in 2015.
Short term pain, well it will be hard financially for some as the monetary markets bounce around.  We have always had clear direction from Jehovah to keep our eyes simple, keep close to our congregations and help out our brothers and sisters, and focus on the kingdom.  These tumultuous times do affect us, but we are buffered to some extent because we are doing what Jehovah is directing us.  And we know he will look after us materially whatever happens.

Australians to see dramatic drop in flight prices to Britain as the pound slumps to its lowest level in 31 years 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

3 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Australians to see dramatic drop in flight prices to Britain as the pound slumps to its lowest level in 31 years 

You're welcome, lol.

Come over but bring an umbrella!

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

4 minutes ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

You're welcome, lol.

Come over but bring an umbrella!

Seriously I saw the price today for $1200 return in August, (normal prices are around $1888 for August)

Already booked cruise to Vanuatu mate ! Brexit was too late for me LOL   :lol1:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 hour ago, Gregexplore said:

Seriously I saw the price today for $1200 return in August, (normal prices are around $1888 for August)

Already booked cruise to Vanuatu mate ! Brexit was too late for me LOL   :lol1:

Another cruise, Greg? Vanuatu has a market just as you go out of the ship.  There is a lovely sister there who has the publications in Bislama and French displayed in her stall, along with hair braiding and other bits.  Her name is Annie, and she has a lovely lovely smile. You might meet her :)

IMG_7188.JPG

(Sorry, off-topic!)

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Another cruise, Greg? Vanuatu has a market just as you go out of the ship.  There is a lovely sister there who has the publications in Bislama and French displayed in her stall, along with hair braiding and other bits.  Her name is Annie, and she has a lovely lovely smile. You might meet her :)

IMG_7188.JPG

(Sorry, off-topic!)

Yes another cruise ...we are going as a group ! O well I will survive ha ha ha ... I assume you are in the picture on the right side LOL 

16 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

Whats next.  Boris Johnson as Prime Minister and Donald Trump the US President.  The end is nigh! 

Are these the faces of the two horned beast? :popcorn:

johnson_trump-620x412.jpg

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D