JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Magnitude 7.4 earthquake hits new zealand

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2659 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

My Bed is still rocking with aftershocks as I type this. Waiting to see if there is a Tsunami alert as it went on for five mins.

We are getting 5.0's and higher through the cok strait right up to Lake Taupo in the North Island.  The whole country is a shaking. Damage is expected in the South Island.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Was listening to "We Won't Forget You" last night.

This is not just a song title, it is an assurance from your worldwide family.

When you are shaken, we all are shaken.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

May our love surround you like a warm embrace.

(((((((((Our brothers and sisters in New Zealand))))))))

:(

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Live: Massive quake hits NZ,  aftershocks follow
30 min ago
111 emergency lines are down and there's damage to buildings in both the South and North Islands. Aftershocks have been felt in the hour after, getting many from their beds.
Praying!

https://i.stuff.co.nz

Edited by SUNRAY

added link

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Friends..if you go to my previously posted link and click under the picture, there are ongoing details..imminent tsunamis..south and north islands..continued strong aftershocks..dirty water coming from some taps, etc.  

Edited by SUNRAY

changed word

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Just checked my Latest Quakes app.

The USGS recorded the initial quake in Amberly as a 7.8. :o Only 14 miles down, too.

No wonder the aftershocks are so powerful!

The map shows the epicenter was relatively close to the coast.  Which would trigger the tsunami alert.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Just driven through our town, to check on Tom's mum. Power is out in most of our city. Difficult to guage damage. But looks like all structures are intact. 

Probably won't be the same story for South Island, haven't heard yet how bad things are there. Last Christchurch quakes, we never felt up here like we have this one. 

Bed is swaying still as I type this with the odd aftershock.

It's 2.30 am in the morning the quake hit after midnight. So any vids on youtube that are now appearing with eq happening in broad daylight are fake.

Have been tied into Dutchsinse live on youtube. Updates are flowing fast there.

There is a tsunami warning issued in fact waves have started to hit Wellington but at this stage are very small, and it is beach warning only, we should be all good with that.

That's all i know for now I'm sorry.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

There are reports of injuries coming in ... but not sure where or how bad. Areas in wellington have been evacuated but I think this is just a precaution as at the moment the only legit warning i get is for the beaches.  Lots more to come as day breaks I'm sure.

Praying and hoping that you and the friends are OK Mandi. Just wondering during a massive earthquake, what precautions are taken locally ? Would sleeping in the car or staying outdoors away from power lines and trees be safe ? Are most structures there in your neighborhood concrete block construction or wood ? Please take care Sis. Tell Tom Hi for us...

24 minutes ago, Your Brother said:

I was just going to post that. Initially the tsunami was only 1-2metres predicted. Water has pulled out from Wellington bays, that link is saying a tsunami as much as 5 metres may affect East Coast of NZ. Reports of a building down and injuries with rescue helicopters. We have had in excess of 100 good sized aftershocks since midnight.

I'm fine yes. We are in tsunami safe designated area in my home. But am worried about other brothers and sisters. I bombarded my poor CoBE's cell phone with updates as I'm getting them instantly from dutchsinse live on youtube, everyone is reporting in from NZ there. Some are even up hills waiting for the all clear.

Not sure things are going to be as good as they appear right now ... this quake lasted up to 5 minutes.