JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"Critical Times" by EK Johnathan (SPOILERS)

http://criticaltimesnovel.blogspot.com/

Critical Times - "Luke Harding is an ambitious young police officer with a promising career and a bright future ahead of him. His beautiful wife, Amy, is nearly the perfect picture of a loving and supportive spouse. Little does Luke know, she's also secretly studying with the Witnesses, and humanity is about to plunge headlong into the Great Tribulation, threatening his world and everything in it".

Edited by Shawnster

Just finished reading it. Only thing I didn't like was ...

Spoiler

It should have had them know they were fighting against Jehovah by the end and not just be shocked that God was real as they were being dealt with by the big blue man. :)

I know it's fantasy. 

Edited by Mykyl

1 hour ago, Dages said:

That ending... ho... that ending...

I was a little bit troubled because it's different from what we read about Armaggeddon in his previous books... but heh, why not :)

I've not read Critical Times yet.  Is the difference perhaps a reflection of a revised understanding we have gotten since the first 2 books were released? 

There's a big church burning in Cambridge, Mass. USA right now.

All firefighters have been ordered to evacuate the building.

Couldn't help but think of this book.:huh:

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I have really enjoyed reading those 3 books.
It makes me wish many more brothers would write about these subjects becuse it makes it so real to us as well as opens our minds to what MIGHT happen. And the different brothers imagination.
I am hooked on this genre(theofiction) but there is not enough of it around.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Mykyl said:

Hide contents

It should have had them know they were fighting against Jehovah by the end and not just be shocked that God was real as they were being dealt with by the big blue man. :)

I know it's fantasy. 

All l  remember about that was when Luke said:

"You’re a fool, Meade. You brought this on yourself! You thought… You thought you could fight against God!” 

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

On 12/3/2016 at 8:46 AM, Mykyl said:

Hide contents

I know it's fantasy. 

All l  remember about that was when Luke said:

"You’re a fool, Meade. You brought this on yourself! You thought… You thought you could fight against God!” 

Screenshot_2016-12-04-08-25-29-1.png

cat2_e0.gif

1 hour ago, Dages said:

"I am God" what a fool, he got what he deserved.

But, I like the song just a few pages before.

According to Reuters, the Navy is bolstering it's supply of fighter Jets for......? haha! Wow!!

cat2_e0.gif

I am 3/4 of the way thru and I have not read anything about a cry of peace and security. That seems to be a BIG missing piece. It should have happened at the beginning before the crack down of religion. Odd. 

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

1 hour ago, trottigy said:

I am 3/4 of the way thru and I have not read anything about a cry of peace and security. That seems to be a BIG missing piece. It should have happened at the beginning before the crack down of religion. Odd. 

“You’re taking this far too personally, Luke. This isn’t me against
you. This is your country taking necessary actions to protect its
interests.”
“What interests?”
Peace and security. The eradication of religious sects.”
“What does that have anything to do with me?”
Meade looks at me dubiously before scoffing. “Really? You’re
going to play dumb? We both know you were cooperating with the
Witnesses. You were bound by law to take action against them, and
instead, you aided them. We have all the evidence right here,” Meade
says, waving the folder in the air. “You want to look at it?”
“You put me up to it, Meade. I was working for you.

Peace and security is only mentioned once, in passing, on page 212.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Odd that the writer would overlook such a big piece of Bible Prophecy.

I am picturing a chapter about how police work was getting easier as the economy was improving. Then the nations announced some big peace accord between Jews and Arabs or something # maybe even global celebrations that things are finally getting better. Then he could have noted the new law that kept getting referred to as being passed, then arsons, then them getting weapons, then things tumbling as churches got closed and morals went down quickly and crime escalated.

Most of the book - so far - has been really good. It was just not having that big celebration of "peace and security" at the beginning that has thrown me off a bit. Maybe he just wasn't sure how to write that in.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

52 minutes ago, trottigy said:

Most of the book - so far - has been really good. It was just not having that big celebration of "peace and security" at the beginning that has thrown me off a bit. Maybe he just wasn't sure how to write that in.

Hi Jerry

Are you having a hard time putting the book down? I got my wife started on it this morning. Consequence: I cooked breakfast, had to prepare lunch, and expect to cook dinner. She has a hard time putting a good book down. :D

Now about "Peace and Security". A big celebration of "peace and security" sounds like conjecture to me. Are we not assuming too much when we apply such importance to one prophecy when there are so many coming to fulfilment in the same period.

Fulfilment of prophecy is most often understood in hindsight. "3 Whenever it is that they are saying, “Peace and security!” then sudden destruction is to be instantly on them," doesn't allow much storyline  between "peace and security" and sudden distruction. And who is this  'they'? And how loud are 'they' saying it?  The author has assigned 'they' to a global law enforcement. All conjecture at this point in time. 

I thought it was subtley incorporated into the story. The announcement of peace and security may come from a source we are not expecting and possibly without it being notrd immediatly or with great discernableness. Shouted from the rooftops or just saying it, the results will be the same. :)

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I saw this post yesterday and was hooked! Read 200+ pages in the first day. Yeah ok some parts are missing according to bible prophecy that we anticipate not a bad read, based on those parts missing of course. I like the portrayal of how militarised the nation became overnight! The hatred for religion is portrayed well. Remember I'm only 200+pages in, e book download still another 400+ to go. 

49 minutes ago, Old said:

Hi Jerry

Are you having a hard time putting the book down? I got my wife started on it this morning. Consequence: I cooked breakfast, had to prepare lunch, and expect to cook dinner. She has a hard time putting a good book down. :D

Now about "Peace and Security". A big celebration of "peace and security" sounds like conjecture to me. Are we not assuming too much when we apply such importance to one prophecy when there are so many coming to fulfilment in the same period.

Fulfilment of prophecy is most often understood in hindsight. "3 Whenever it is that they are saying, “Peace and security!” then sudden destruction is to be instantly on them," doesn't allow much storyline  between "peace and security" and sudden distruction. And who is this  'they'? And how loud are 'they' saying it?  The author has assigned 'they' to a global law enforcement. All conjecture at this point in time. 

I thought it was subtley incorporated into the story. The announcement of peace and security may come from a source we are not expecting and possibly without it being notrd immediatly or with great discernableness. Shouted from the rooftops or just saying it, the results will be the same. :)

Yep, haven't put it down. Good thing we are on vacation.   :)

Soon .....

3 hours ago, trottigy said:

I am picturing a chapter about how police work was getting easier as the economy was improving. Then the nations announced some big peace accord between Jews and Arabs or something # maybe even global celebrations that things are finally getting better. Then he could have noted the new law that kept getting referred to as being passed, then arsons, then them getting weapons, then things tumbling as churches got closed and morals went down quickly and crime escalated.

I think it's understandable.  Have we had any Watchtower articles dedicated to this subject?  We've had entire articles on Armagddon and the Great Tribulation (including charts, videos at the convention, etc...) But the cry of peace and security has barely been discussed in the pages of the Watchtower recently.

Plus, it sounds like the author is putting the attack on false religion prior to the cry of Peace and Security.  That is what I used to think would happen, too; that religion would be turned on and, after the destruction, we'd have peace and security.  It appears though, that it's the opposite.  The cry first, then the destruction of false religion because Thessalonians says peace first then sudden destruction.  

I'm 1.2% of the way into the book.  Friday, October 30, 4:28pm.  

I like how his characters are flawed/imperfect.  In both "The Unrighteous" and "Critical Times" the main characters make mistakes. 

Spoiler

Amy should have been more upfront with Luke a lot sooner.  There really was no reason for her to hide studying with the Witnesses for so long.  No, it was a bad idea to ambush Luke with the spaghetti dinner with Walter and Chelsea.  How else was he going to react but badly?  

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

I think it's understandable.  Have we had any Watchtower articles dedicated to this subject?  We've had entire articles on Armagddon and the Great Tribulation (including charts, videos at the convention, etc...) But the cry of peace and security has barely been discussed in the pages of the Watchtower recently.

And yet this singular topic has garnered over 2 thousand posts on JWTALK. Most interesting.

Are we fascinated by it? Why? Is it of utmost importance this day?

I don't know, but the attention it has been given here is interesting.

I have to ask why? :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

5 hours ago, Dages said:

We are kinda already in the beginning of the GT in this book... so I assumed the Peace and Security was just before the beginning of the book.

This.  It's hard to see, but it's there.  The Great Tribulation has started.  Churches are being burned and people have pretty much turned against religion.  It's not until several chapters into the book that the US finally bans religion, but it's clear we've already stared down that path when the book opens.  Amy and the Witnesses do a lot of sneaking around in their studies and it's not because Luke is opposed.  Luke doesn't know Amy is studying.  Amy thinks Luke would be favorable if he found out.  Therefore, they are sneaking around for some other reason.

It doesn't seem like a peaceful time, though.  The news reports are full of terrorism, riots and chaos.  If Peace and Security had been declared prior to the start of the book, then there should have been an early chapter where it was discussed and how the latest wave of unrest is in sharp contrast to the previous state of peace.

16 hours ago, trottigy said:

You and I have a different opinion on what Peace and Security is going to be like.  I don't see it as a time of low crime and massive economic growth.  People doing meth or actively living the gang lifestyle don't care one way or the other about these things.   The police, I feel, will still have their hands full with day-to-day crime and violence.   Solving climate change (or at least halting it's growth), defeating terrorism and bringing peace in the Middle East between Israel and all of rest of the Arab world will not matter to the drug pushers and human traffickers and the gang bangers.  It might affect gun runners though.   Perhaps better economic situations will help with South American refugees.  Middle Eastern refugees would definitely be helped by a cessation of hostilities in that region.

If "Peace and Security" is accomplished over a period of time through a series of events and if it's not one solitary declaration, then there most likely won't be celebrations and parades.  It will be simply a feeling of euphoria that slowly forms and spreads.  Of course, maybe this would stimulate the economy and we'd see increased employment.  We need to keep in mind this is a global development and this belief in peace and security is going to be felt all around the world.  If economic growth is part of the equation, then all nations should see such increases.  

15 hours ago, Old said:

I've seen others make this same comment.  The fact is, we do know who they are (or will be) in this prophecy.

(1 Thessalonians 5:3) 3 Whenever it is that they are saying, “Peace and security!” then sudden destruction is to be instantly on them

They and them are the same group of people.  That's a simple rule of grammar.  Who are they?  They are the people who are going to be destroyed.  Who will be destroyed?  The political, religious and commercial elements of this world and all those who support them.  

So the scripture is saying "Whenever it is that the [political, religious and commercial elements] are saying 'Peace and security!' then sudden destruction is to be instantly on them."

I've also seen people focus on the word "saying"  as if it could be untrue.  In fact, an elder years ago said "the world could be burning" and they'd be saying peace and security.   It doesn't make sense that this "saying" is going to be a lie.  It will not be true peace and security, we know that, but it's not going to be a lie as if the political, religious and commercial elements are trying to fool the populace.  No, the context of this passage and the entire bible makes it clear that these people will believe they've achieved a sizable measure of peace and security unheard of in history.  Granted, we know its a thin veneer and this peace won't last long before the world is plunged into chaos so great that it will destroy all human life if Jehovah doesn't step in.  Still, the people about to be destroyed will believe this declaration.  The only way they will believe this if the big issues threatening peace and security seem to have been dealt with once and for all.    

10 hours ago, Old said:

And yet this singular topic has garnered over 2 thousand posts on JWTALK. Most interesting.

Are we fascinated by it? Why? Is it of utmost importance this day?

I don't know, but the attention it has been given here is interesting.

I have to ask why? :)

It's the next thing we're waiting on.  It will be visible and noticeable.  At least, that's what we think.

And we can't see how we're going to get there, so it fascinates us.

We also talk alot about the destruction of false religion.  We can see how that might happen, however, because it seems like hatred of religion is growing every day.

10 hours ago, Shawnster said:

It's the next thing we're waiting on.  It will be visible and noticeable.  At least, that's what we think.

And we can't see how we're going to get there, so it fascinates us.

We also talk alot about the destruction of false religion.  We can see how that might happen, however, because it seems like hatred of religion is growing every day.

And we'll know "the declaration of Peace AND Security" has happened for sure as INSTANTLY after (according to 1 These 5:3) False Religion will be fully attacked. This is also the part I found odd in the book. He describes it as a slow and gradual thing - instead of an instant thing - as the Bible describes. 

Anyway, still a fun read. Interesting the way they had to obey - even though doing so seemed crazy. Also, how they had to leave everything. I can totally picture that. 

Soon .....