JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library on DVD

31 minutes ago, Hope said:

Question - is ALL the DVD information available online?  It's nearly impossible to purchase a laptop with a DVD drive anymore.. :(  It's a bit of a drag, too.

A portable DVD drive can be purchased for as little as $12 on Amazon. Probably even less on Ebay, I didn't check.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

33 minutes ago, outwalkin said:

No. The WT Library goes back much further but we have close to 20 years of info in the WOL. I mostly now only use the WOL unless there is a reference I want that is only on the WT Library.

The WT Library is a treasure! I enjoy using it and I am sure there must be many more ways to do research or study using the Library that I am not aware of. I like the tips given.

43 minutes ago, Hope said:

Question - is ALL the DVD information available online?  It's nearly impossible to purchase a laptop with a DVD drive anymore.. :(  It's a bit of a drag, too.

Last year I used my wife's PC to put the WTLIB DVD on a flash drive and then used the flash drive to install the WTLIB to my laptop...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

8 hours ago, zodwertj said:

Beginning with the 2016 edition, updates will become available about once a month. Thus, after you install this edition

Does this mean we have to install the 2016 edition from the DVD or do we just update the previously installed 2015 edition?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Does this mean we have to install the 2016 edition from the DVD or do we just update the previously installed 2015 edition?

It appears that you will need the 2016 version to gain the new features.

Edited by Old

lap over from previous comment

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 minute ago, Old said:

It appears that you will need the 2016 version to gain the new features.

Is there any indication that we can get that version electronically or do we have to get the physical DVD?

Like Sister Fae, I prefer doing research on WTLibrary. Much greater range than online tools. WTs from 60 years ago show how we have come to the current understanding thru the years.

I find that very few know how take advantage of it's features (there are many I haven't put into practice.) One feature I use a lot is it's ability to extract scriptures from any documeent from any source, even Time Magazine should they every cite any scriptures. If I am preparing a talk I copy the outline to the clipboard, then CTRL+ALT+C and all the citations appear in the document area. Same can be done with the study WT. I have brought this up to many and their response has been "I didn't know that." :eek: Really helpful if you get a phone call early in the morning saying "We need some one to give talk #190 today, can you do it?" 

That is just one example of the capabilities of WTLibrary.  (See Exercise 14 in the help section.)

Reading the wording of the letter carefully, it does not say that the 2016 edition will be the last.

"Beginning with the 2016 edition".  Does this imply that they will be a 2017 edition?

"at the end of 2017, you will not need to request a new DVD" .  Do not NEED to request, but can I request one anyway?

And do not forget about those without internet access to update, or new ones, they can request a DVD.

It does sound strange that they would not use the update feature already included in the 2015 edition to update to 2016.  

Reading the wording of the letter carefully, it does not say that the 2016 edition will be the last.

"Beginning with the 2016 edition".  Does this imply that they will be a 2017 edition?
"at the end of 2017, you will not need to request a new DVD" .  Do not NEED to request, but can I request one anyway?
And do not forget about those without internet access to update, or new ones, they can request a DVD.

It does sound strange that they would not use the update feature already included in the 2015 edition to update to 2016.  

The 2016 edition would be updated every month, but the 2015 edition can only be updated twice a year

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

With the update package that was released mid-2016, it not only contained publications, but also a new build of the application file.  So the update feature in 2015 has the capability to download the new builds.  Thus they could still use that, and we would all get the 2016 edition build via a download.  Then with the 2016 installed, the monthly updates will take place.

30 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

With the update package that was released mid-2016, it not only contained publications, but also a new build of the application file.  So the update feature in 2015 has the capability to download the new builds.  Thus they could still use that, and we would all get the 2016 edition build via a download.  Then with the 2016 installed, the monthly updates will take place.

That is what I thought they would do. Must be a reason why it isn't in the plan. 

35 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

2 minutes ago, Old said:

That is what I thought they would do. Must be a reason why it isn't in the plan. 

You're right but some builds had bugs/errors, for example the first update packages contained build 6421 in english version and build 6405 in spanish version... both with errors.  Many of us updated and we did not notice this. Shortly after we received a new build 6435 with out bugs but WTL didn't update again. Many brothers installed WTL 2015 with error build file and they can't update unless they re-install it. For that reason a new compilation like 2016 version is needed. Sorry my english is not good.

1 hour ago, zodwertj said:

You're right but some builds had bugs/errors, for example the first update packages contained build 6421 in english version and build 6405 in spanish version... both with errors.  Many of us updated and we did not notice this. Shortly after we received a new build 6435 with out bugs but WTL didn't update again. Many brothers installed WTL 2015 with error build file and they can't update unless they re-install it. For that reason a new compilation like 2016 version is needed. Sorry my english is not good.

My copy of 2015 updated twice and I now have build 6435 installed.  When the Dec/Jan update occurs, it should be the same build as the 2016 DVD.

7 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

That would seem to make sense, however when I rejected the offer of the 2016 cd saying I don't need it will auto update the literature servant said that will not happen we will need the new 2016 cd, So I ordered one.

It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step :- Jer10:23.

Not a day goes by wherein the truth of this scripture is not reaffirmed

That would seem to make sense, however when I rejected the offer of the 2016 cd saying I don't need it will auto update the literature servant said that will not happen we will need the new 2016 cd, So I ordered one.

What's the point then to make the program capable of Internet update but in the same time limit it to updates within a year... It's stupid. And the whole point is to save money on DVD's, and that ain't going to happen if we have to order each new cd. I'm certain that we will get everything that we need as an update pack over the Internet.

Sent from my LG-H440n using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, And_Ray said:

What's the point then to make the program capable of Internet update but in the same time limit it to updates within a year... It's stupid. And the whole point is to save money on DVD's, and that ain't going to happen if we have to order each new cd. I'm certain that we will get everything that we need as an update pack over the Internet.

I agree, but who am I to argue.

It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step :- Jer10:23.

Not a day goes by wherein the truth of this scripture is not reaffirmed

1 hour ago, And_Ray said:

Must be a language problem here.

Stupid? not are word we use to dicuss theocratic topics.

Who is stupid?

39 minutes ago, Old said:

Must be a language problem here.

Stupid? not are word we use to dicuss theocratic topics.

Who is stupid?

Brother Andrew said few post above that the literature servant told him that the WT LIBRARY program will not update itself  to 2016 version but he has to order new CD.

And beginning last year, the brothers made the program able to update itself with little update files downloaded over the internet. So that makes it possible to reduce the number of DVD's needed to be produces because everyone that already has the 2015 version will just update over the internet to the latest version.

So based on the saying of the literature servant in Andrew's congregation I got the idea that the brothers made it possible for the program to update to new publications within a year ( like the update that we had that included the publications up to July 2016 ) but in the same time not be able to update to the next year build of the program.

That IDEA is stupid, nonsense... completely useless in every aspect. Based on my knowledge in software development, no sane software developer will make a program that will function like i explained above. 

I didn't mean to offend anyone or sound rude for that matter... just expressing my opinion. And while maybe the word 'stupid' doesn't convey the same meaning in English... I will stand behind what i said earlier.

2 hours ago, And_Ray said:

It seems that was the plan, but as mentioned above the first update from June 2016 contained a bug that prevented the program from further updating. Although a second update some days later corrected the issue, the many users who had already downloaded the first one are stuck with that version, since it will not update (unless you manually change the .exe or manually add an update or uninstall and reinstall from the DVD, then update).

So I guess the brothers are sending the 2016 DVD to make sure everyone has the update feature working, and then will only produce a limited number of DVDs every year afterwards, just for new users.