JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library on DVD

There is only one update available at the moment - the "July 2016 update".  Both the earlier and the later updates were labelled the "July 2016 update".  So if you had the first, you didn't get the later.  But when the "December 2016" or "January 2017", or whatever it will be is released, the app will find it and download it.

I too still think it will update.   I'm always right,  except when I'm wrong :) 

I also think the last point in the letter is because so many have been ordering the new DVD they do not need because of the update feature, and they feel the need to make it clear so that next year the same thing does not happen again.

Edited by Jonathan77

10 minutes ago, carlos said:

It seems that was the plan, but as mentioned above the first update from June 2016 contained a bug that prevented the program from further updating. Although a second update some days later corrected the issue, the many users who had already downloaded the first one are stuck with that version, since it will not update (unless you manually change the .exe or manually add an update or uninstall and reinstall from the DVD, then update).

So I guess the brothers are sending the 2016 DVD to make sure everyone has the update feature working, and then will only produce a limited number of DVDs every year afterwards, just for new users.

I was unaware of such issue because it has not happened to me. I have 2 versions of the program, English and Macedonian, both updated smoothly and without any problem.

Even if there is a bug, it can be easily fixed with a patch sent over the internet. I would rather spend 1 day and write a complete guide with pictures and screenshot about how to apply the patch that could hypothetically be sent to each BOE and then they would distribute it then to produce hundred of thousands of DVD's. Again, that's just my opinion.

36 minutes ago, And_Ray said:

I was unaware of such issue because it has not happened to me. I have 2 versions of the program, English and Macedonian, both updated smoothly and without any problem.

Even if there is a bug, it can be easily fixed with a patch sent over the internet. I would rather spend 1 day and write a complete guide with pictures and screenshot about how to apply the patch that could hypothetically be sent to each BOE and then they would distribute it then to produce hundred of thousands of DVD's. Again, that's just my opinion.

Well, just i can say that WTL 2015 definitly had troubles to update and it was a pilot, useful to test. Maybe in English edition not, but for example,  updates to portuguese edition never was released. The WTL has the update feature in this version but, it does not update. So Why a 2016 edition? we don't know all details, Just the Branch know how to proceed. Trust on them. ;) 

Mine has not updated. It still says I have build 6421.

When I check for updates it says none are available.

I did receive the link for the update that was offered on the forum and tried to update manually. When I do, it says "Update package has already been applied" and it still says I have build 6421 not build 6435.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

4 hours ago, Qapla said:

Mine has not updated. It still says I have build 6421.

When I check for updates it says none are available.

I did receive the link for the update that was offered on the forum and tried to update manually. When I do, it says "Update package has already been applied" and it still says I have build 6421 not build 6435.

Yes, that's my point. A patch online is useless if you cannot apply it. For that reason (and i repeat it again) a new edition is needed. 

Edited by zodwertj

Edit

On ‎27‎-‎12‎-‎2016 at 11:25 AM, zodwertj said:

and will include any new program features that may be added.

What would they mean by that? I'm long hoping for a feature that makes it possible to prepare the Watchtower within the WT Library. Ability to mark, underline and/or make notes. Wouldn't that be nice?!

2 hours ago, zodwertj said:

Yes, that's my point. A patch online is useless if you cannot apply it. For that reason (and i repeat it again) a new edition is needed. 

As far as I know, this update has not been "officially" released. It is possible that the link I received was actually for the 6421 update and not the 6435.

All of the other updates that came through the update feature have worked as they were supposed to. I figure that when the 6435 update is "officially" released, through the update feature, I will get it and it will work just fine.

I do not see the need for a new edition in my case. The WT Library is not the only application/program I have that is updated on a regular basis. Some of updates are for the data files while others update and/or replace the actual .exe file. 

32 minutes ago, molnarj said:

I'm long hoping for a feature that makes it possible to prepare the Watchtower within the WT Library. Ability to mark, underline and/or make notes. Wouldn't that be nice?!

I do not see this as being a feature that will be offered for the WT Library app - but instead, one for the JW Library app.

The WT Library is intended to run on Windows based PC's - the kind you have at your desk at home .... not something you take to the meeting. It is a research/study tool. The JW Library app is designed for your Windows/Android/Apple based portable device - and it already has some features for studying.

1 minute ago, Qapla said:

The WT Library is intended to run on Windows based PC's - the kind you have at your desk at home .... not something you take to the meeting. It is a research/study tool. The JW Library app is designed for your Windows/Android/Apple based portable device - and it already has some features for studying.

Do you think that at some point, they will merge both programs? It's easier to develop one Windows program or app than two.

No, I do not see them merging them since the WT Library contains nearly twice the publications as the JW Library app. The JW Library was designed to be portable, thus the less data/footprint.

2 hours ago, richietj77 said:

Do you think that at some point, they will merge both programs? It's easier to develop one Windows program or app than two.

For a long time I (and many others) expected an Android version of Watchtower Library, but that seems less and less likely. Both the Online Library  and JW Library contain pubs from 2000 onwards, and it seems the brothers want us to use those. Having the older pubs in your PC is useful for research, but I don't think there will be a mobile edition.

On the other hand, in a couple of years Windows emulators for Android will be able to run Watchtower Library. Right now there are some which can, but their poor performance makes them unusable.

26 minutes ago, carlos said:

For a long time I (and many others) expected an Android version of Watchtower Library, but that seems less and less likely. Both the Online Library  and JW Library contain pubs from 2000 onwards, and it seems the brothers want us to use those. Having the older pubs in your PC is useful for research, but I don't think there will be a mobile edition.

On the other hand, in a couple of years Windows emulators for Android will be able to run Watchtower Library. Right now there are some which can, but their poor performance makes them unusable.

I have a version WT Library on my Android phone. I just checked and the WTs only go back to 2000 just like JWLibrary. It automatically updates. Todays text is current as are the workbooks which I didn't even know were on there. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 hours ago, Qapla said:

As a side note:  there are quite a few of us who use Windows 10 tablets at the meetings (and have no intention of switching).  We run the WT-Library on our meeting tablets.  I use the JW Library app more often for the meeting itself but I can call up the DVD version when I need it.   Just a reminder that we have 3 platforms in use (not just Android and Apple).

9 hours ago, Old said:

I have a version WT Library on my Android phone. I just checked and the WTs only go back to 2000 just like JWLibrary. It automatically updates. Todays text is current as are the workbooks which I didn't even know were on there. 

By your description that sounds like one of those apps that simply serve as an interface for the Online Library or that download publications from there. Very different from the 'genuine' Watchtower Library. :)

Yesterday when they read that letter in our meeting I did not understand that there will be no more DVD editions of the Watchtower Library. What the letter said is that since the 2016 edition is updatable it will not be necessary to order a new DVD by the end of 2017. That doesn't mean it won't be possible to order it, just that it's not necessary if you already own the 2016 edition. I think new publishers will still be able to order their own copy.

34 minutes ago, carlos said:

Yesterday when they read that letter in our meeting I did not understand that there will be no more DVD editions of the Watchtower Library. What the letter said is that since the 2016 edition is updatable it will not be necessary to order a new DVD by the end of 2017. That doesn't mean it won't be possible to order it, just that it's not necessary if you already own the 2016 edition. I think new publishers will still be able to order their own copy.

Exactly my understanding also :) 

11 hours ago, jwhess said:

As a side note:  there are quite a few of us who use Windows 10 tablets at the meetings (and have no intention of switching).  We run the WT-Library on our meeting tablets.  I use the JW Library app more often for the meeting itself but I can call up the DVD version when I need it.   Just a reminder that we have 3 platforms in use (not just Android and Apple).

Yes, the DVD version can/will run on a Windows tablet.

Also, I know we have three platforms - that is why I made this statement:

11 hours ago, jwhess said:

The JW Library app is designed for your Windows/Android/Apple based portable device

The fact that some use Windows portable devices and may even use the DVD version on that device does not change the intended use. The DVD version was designed for the PC long before the popularity and wide use of portable devices. The JW Library app is designed for portable devices - even though the Windows version will also work on the PC.

14 hours ago, richietj77 said:

Although it may seem true that continuing to develop two Windows apps is not as "easy" as what we have now, remember, the JW Library app is a multi-platform app while the WT Library app is not.

So, it would not necessarily be easier to merge the WT Library app into all three of the platforms that the JW Library app is available for.

Edited by Qapla

4 minutes ago, dvds said:

Is it just me or no brazilian portuguese updates yet?

Like i said before:

On 28/12/2016 at 4:15 AM, zodwertj said:

Well, just i can say that WTL 2015 definitly had troubles to update and it was a pilot, useful to test. Maybe in English edition not, but for example,  updates to portuguese edition never was released. The WTL has the update feature in this version but, it does not update. So Why a 2016 edition? we don't know all details, Just the Branch know how to proceed. Trust on them. ;) 

We had the letter about the 2016 JW Library on DVD read last night.  It was pointed out rather emphatically that the 2015 will not update to the 2016 version of the program so everyone needs to install the 2016 JW Library on DVD program for it to update every month.  From members here we are getting conflicting info, someone has it wrong, either the 2015 JW Library does or it does not update to the 2016 version.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25