JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library on DVD

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, pholmes38 said:

Just had update 1710, includes the latest publications

1.1GB :eek:

It does contain all of the new releases.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, jwhess said:

My WTL library is updating as we speak.  I assume it will be version 1711 when it is done.  I will check back when it has finished.

Its 2 GB and still loading...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2GB, of which about 1.9 is files I already have installed.  Videos from the Study Bible, and now videos from the Pure Worship book, are included in the package every time.  Is there really any need to include these in every update package?  Its a waste of download.  

Since I use the Online Library more and more now, I am thinking about removing WT Library from the computer.

13 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

2GB, of which about 1.9 is files I already have installed.  Videos from the Study Bible, and now videos from the Pure Worship book, are included in the package every time.  Is there really any need to include these in every update package?  Its a waste of download.  

Since I use the Online Library more and more now, I am thinking about removing WT Library from the computer.

Br. Jonathan, I think the update overwrites the older version.  It was almost 2 GB before (version 1710) and it will be only slightly larger when the update is finished.  It takse some time to update but it doesn't take much more space.  I am still waiting for this data to be available on my JW Library app in the future.  Many of us can't make regular use of the WOL because we don't have internet service available except at home.  So we need the downloaded data to study.

And ... we never know what updates may be in some of those videos and images  :shrugs:  as well as some of the other files/publications we already have loaded

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 8:54 AM, Skye said:

Thankfully I have the 2015 one! But I worry for the new (and not-so-new but nevertheless forgetful-ones-who-didn't-order-it-but-now-need-it) who have neither the 2015 nor the 2016 one, what happens? Is that clause in the T&C still there regarding not sharing the files with others?

I was told that we should only share the WT library CD with someone who was regularly attending the meetings.

I wondered as soon as the second WT library CD came out why there was a new CD every year. I had other programs that not only updated data on occasion but you could actually download an update to the program when necessary.  Why was there any need for yearly CD's to be produced?

39 minutes ago, Witness1970 said:

I was told that we should only share the WT library CD with someone who was regularly attending the meetings.

I wondered as soon as the second WT library CD came out why there was a new CD every year. I had other programs that not only updated data on occasion but you could actually download an update to the program when necessary.  Why was there any need for yearly CD's to be produced?

Br. Randall, there is no need to get a CD (now DVD) to load the Watchtower Library on your computer. You can download the original program from JW.ORG online.  But as Br. Tony and I were just discussing, not all of us have online access or just minimal access. So for these brothers, the DVD disk is the only practical way to load the program.  They have to wait an entire year to get the updates. 

You can share such a disk with those who agree to be bound by the "software agreement" listed in the install portion of the disk.

The update package contains the same files as before, except for a few extras.  The videos and most of the files are the same.  Its designed so it can update the library from any version from 1701 or higher.  Over the course of 2018,  it has downloaded over 10gb of updates, with 1gb or less of actual updates.

3 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

Some don't have internet at home either! Just cell data. Very limited. Very expensive.

Do you know you are downloading and using your limited expensive data on downloading files you probably already have. 

I would much rather have an update function that checks the individual files for newer versions and only download the ones required, not a whole package.  I think the update provision is a great idea, but its not implemented very well.

1 hour ago, Jonathan77 said:

I would much rather have an update function that checks the individual files for newer versions and only download the ones required, not a whole package.  I think the update provision is a great idea, but its not implemented very well.

This is an excellent place to recycle the point made in our June Elder's School (SCE).  The Branch Instructor used an expression that I have adopted.  We were discussing the various projects or assignments or opportunities in Jehovah's Organization.  He reminded us..."Efficiency is not a fruit of the spirit.  Patience is."

Does that mean that we should be wasteful of resources.  Every KB, MB and GB downloaded costs money.  Not only the organisations' money that we donate, by also bills to your telecom provider.  Efficiency may not be a fruitage of the spirit, but Jehovah is an efficient God.

34 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

Does that mean that we should be wasteful of resources.  Every KB, MB and GB downloaded costs money.  Not only the organisations' money that we donate, by also bills to your telecom provider.  Efficiency may not be a fruitage of the spirit, but Jehovah is an efficient God.

I do not have the data to answer such a question (unless it was supposed to be rhetorical).  You would have to be in charge of the finances, the manpower allocations, the training time, the other projects that might be delayed while pursuing efficiency in this one specific area.  We would need to know the resources needed to accomplish the task, the space  (both physical and digital) to do the work, the expertise needed, the cost analysis between choice A and B, and so on.  I certainly do not have any of that information.  I think that the ones in charge of these decisions know much more about it than I do.  So my best guess answer to your question would be,  yes...all things considered, this is the most practical and cost effective method at this time.  Resources may be freed up in the future or other changes might allow the adoption of another method at another time.

I am sure that you can write to them and make suggestions for improvement.  The brothers at Headquarters  have always been pleasant to me when I ask questions.  My trust is that with their expertise, their greater knowledge of the global situation and their direction by Holy Spirit makes this the best choice at present....:wink:

The brothers have already made changes to the way they encode the videos.   The method they used before resulted in a video with an average bitrate of 1500k.  Now, while still maintain high quality, the new method normally results in a much lower bitrate, and also a smaller file.  Sample presentation videos are now only about 10% of what they used to be.  

• 4 weeks later...

Before

image.png.f0b5c213504512498cd99766417dbf77.png

After

image.png.52e1b7ae1c364fbd2c21f051dfb3cfc9.png

Interesting that it is only the update number that has changed - the Version and Build remained the same - this would seem to indicate that only the data has changed and, perhaps some bug fixes, but no additional features were added.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

Interesting that it is only the update number that has changed - the Version and Build remained the same - this would seem to indicate that only the data has changed and, perhaps some bug fixes, but no additional features were added.

I noticed that too. Maybe that's why the update went so quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

First and foremost.  I must admit, I haven't read each members contribution.  I am new to the forum and to be honest, a little hesitant to get involved.  I've been in the TRUTH now since 1950, aged ten.  My own personal WT library consisted of every publication, from the Informant..predecessor of the KM.  I had the complete year book collection etc.  So when the Society introduced the CD of the WT Library.   Wowee!  Space at home had come almost to a standstill.  Apart from the society's publicatins, I also had a large library of other books.

Preparing for a public or student talk, suddenly  a click here and there, and all was reveald.  Prior to that.  My desk was cluttered with many books. Pads and pencils.  Now a few clicks, cut and paste and that's it, or is it?  Researching the old way....Bible, wt's whatever your eyes were searching.  Your research expanded.  Now with today's IT, all is different.  Yes I have tablet.  NO I never use it in the ministry or on the platform.  Perhaps it's just me, but.  Technology is good and sometimes not so good.  A sudden failure in the telecommunications systems and.  ZILCH.

I love how the WT desribes our electronic toolbox as power tools ... and I tell you what? Today  in the supermarket I came across a deaf person who was surprised jw.org was in NZSL ... I honestly believe (also in line with the many novels I've read about the NS) that technology is and will continue to play a large role in communications teaching tools and research both now and into the NS.  We are being trained now, not just to be preachers and teachers to those in today's world, but also to those in the next.  

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."