JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library on DVD

1 minute ago, rocket said:

We had the letter about the 2016 JW WT Library on DVD read last night.  It was pointed out rather emphatically that the 2015 will not update to the 2016 version of the program so everyone needs to install the 2016 JW  WT Library on DVD program for it to update every month.  From members here we are getting conflicting info, someone has it wrong, either the 2015 JW WT Library does or it does not update to the 2016 version.

The letter seemed pretty clear that we needed to order and install the 2016 WT Library DVD to get the monthly updates. I'm sure the brothers had a good reason to send the letter...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I think this is one of the things we will have to wait until a) someone tries at the end of January / start of February to update WTLib 2015 and that update changes the wtlib.exe file version or B) someone receive a copy of WTLib 2016 to see if it has any change on the wtlib.exe file version.

Either option, again, we must be patient. Yes, they're training us on that!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

I thought it was interesting that 3 years ago I was telling everyone "I bet someday we will no longer need the CD/DVD of the library and that everything is going to downloads and updates."  What a great thing this has turned out to be. And what a savings in cost that the brothers are putting into place.  Donated funds need to be used in the best way possible and electronic publications and the like are not the future, they are now!  I also like that the slave recognizes that there is a large number of dear friends out there that will never be able to either afford or figure out anything electronic and so will still provide the hard copies of everything they need to stay caught up. The chariot is on the move but not so fast that any should be left behind. :) 

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

The letter seemed pretty clear that we needed to order and install the 2016 WT Library DVD to get the monthly updates. I'm sure the brothers had a good reason to send the letter...

Yeah thats how it seemed to be read and indicating.  To be honest I am kind of wondering if the faithful slave will eventually make the whole thing a download or that each congregation get like 3 copies and then everyone just share it.  That would also save a ton of money.  Maybe someday.  

I assume there are some that use the DVD and are not able to install it on their computer,  such as a work computer or public access computer.  I wonder how they will get the updates.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

If they were to make Watchtower Library downloadable, I would like to see it more customizable.  What I mean by that is the ability to pick and choose what publications to download.  So you may not want all the Watchtowers going back to 1950, so you only pick the ones you want, and it downloads them.  I suppose in a similar way JW Library does.  Or you may not the videos in the study bible because you already have them elsewhere.  It would make the initial download very small, and save on download data usage.

It has been mentioned about combining the two apps.  The apps do use different data files for the publications.  Unifying the data files would make it easier to maintain, and updates could use the same downloads.

If the current WT Library is not updateable to 2016, it does seem a bit late in the day to announce it.  We were told months ago to put in a request to order it if we wanted it, along with the other annual items.  And of course some, like me, did not order one because we expected not to need one.

7 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

If the current WT Library is not updateable to 2016, it does seem a bit late in the day to announce it.  We were told months ago to put in a request to order it if we wanted it, along with the other annual items.  And of course some, like me, did not order one because we expected not to need one.

This misunderstanding is why we were told to get our order in asap.  Some in the Congregation like yourself thought the 2015 would update but the letter made it clear that it does not update to the 2016 program.  One question that was left open was whether or not the 2015 would continue to update data one a year.  I suspect the 2015 was a beta program and the 2016 is the real deal.  The new program updates data every month.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

15 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

That may be why the recent letter was issued...

8 hours ago, rocket said:

We had the letter about the 2016 JW WT Library on DVD read last night.  It was pointed out rather emphatically that the 2015 will not update to the 2016 version of the program so everyone needs to install the 2016 JW  WT Library on DVD program for it to update every month.  From members here we are getting conflicting info, someone has it wrong, either the 2015 JW WT Library does or it does not update to the 2016 version.

As Richard's correction (above in this post) shows, it seems lots of brothers got the Watchtower Library mixed up with something else. A brother in another congregation whom I know, an elder, read the letter. And he thought it was about Watchtower Online Library! And that's what he told the congregation! He completely missed the part about the DVD!

I assume there are some that use the DVD and are not able to install it on their computer,  such as a work computer or public access computer.  I wonder how they will get the updates.

I was in the same dilemma as I was only using my work laptop so had to get one of the mods from here to provide me the Wat library in a special format that would allow me to use it on my laptop.
Finally I decided to get my own personal laptop & keep anything personal off my work computer.
I just ordered the CD-ROM this week. Many times I have wanted an article from the 80s or 90s and couldn't get them using the online library. Just waiting for it to come in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, dilip kumar said:

50cda08d65b170e57cc88220e42b6ddf.jpg

Sent from my LG-E988 using Tapatalk

Should i uninstall the whole thing and install it thru dvd ?

Sent from my LG-E988 using Tapatalk

Mine does the same thing, I'm going to wait for the 2016 DVD.

In theory the 2015 can update every month, every week, every day.  It checks for updates every time you use it.  It does not update because only that one mid-year update package was provided.  If they made an update package every month, the app would find it and update.  So it not so much that monthly updates are specific to 2016, but from now on monthly update packages will be provided.  Of course the way the updates are packaged could have changed which is more specific to the 2016 edition.

Just to clarify, it seems the WT Library app does not check for build numbers, only what update package you last downloaded.  That  is why some have build 6421, then some who downloaded later got the re-issued package with the 6435 build.  Its not really a bug with the update feature.

This new edition does appear to be late this year.  Normally by the end of December some congregations have received it.

2 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

In theory the 2015 can update every month, every week, every day.  It checks for updates every time you use it.  It does not update because only that one mid-year update package was provided.  If they made an update package every month, the app would find it and update.  So it not so much that monthly updates are specific to 2016, but from now on monthly update packages will be provided.  Of course the way the updates are packaged could have changed which is more specific to the 2016 edition.

Just to clarify, it seems the WT Library app does not check for build numbers, only what update package you last downloaded.  That  is why some have build 6421, then some who downloaded later got the re-issued package with the 6435 build.  Its not really a bug with the update feature.

This new edition does appear to be late this year.  Normally by the end of December some congregations have received it.

Yes "in theory" but this is not the case. Let me explain it. According to a brother that works in Spain Branch, build 6421 has a bug (6405 in Spanish edition) it blocks future updates. All brothers that updated in August 2nd to 12th downloaded the first updatepackage (All July 2016 pubs and wtlibrary.exe build 6421 with bug) Brothers in the Branch came to realize. For that reason in August 13th to 16th the servers with update files were down/offline, nobody could update until August 17th, that day, another updatepackage (apparently same update but wtlibrary.exe build 6435 bug fixed) was upload (many of us had update... too late maybe?) So perhaps 2015 edition would have been definitive or last WTL, or maybe that was the plan, but for now, we'll wait for a new edition. 

On 30/12/2016 at 6:12 PM, Tortuga said:

I cannot update at work because I am behind a very restrictive proxy. So I just copy all the contents in the Watchtower Library folder and paste them in the same folder of my work computer. It works like a charm. :)

On 29/12/2016 at 1:16 AM, Qapla said:

Mine has not updated. It still says I have build 6421.

When I check for updates it says none are available.

Yeah.. I haven't seen Klingon update either LOL   :lol1:

Just be patient ... :D

Edited by Gregexplore

spelling

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

3 hours ago, Qapla said:

I have been checking sub-space - but, so far, no word yet

Why is sub space a good thing but sub par is a bad thing?

:whistling: