JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My ancestry DNA results!

So I bought one of those ancestry DNA kits and had my DNA tested. Unlike other tests which just test your DNA from your mother or fathers side, this test tests your DNA from both your maternal and fraternal side, so it's thorough. I was so excited to get my results! Turns out I'm 90% African, 7% European, 2% Asian and -1% Pacific Islander. Of my African DNA, I'm 47% Benin/Togo, 26% Cameroon/Congo, 11% Senegal, 3% South African central hunter gatherers, 2% North African, -1% Ivory Coast/Ghana. My European Ancestry is from 5% Iberian Peninsula,  1% Scandinavia, 1% Great Britain. My Asian ancestry is from Central Asia and my Pacific Islander ancestry is from Melanesia. Here's a pic of me. The first pic is me with my dad when I was younger. If you guys have taken DNA results before post your ancestry info :)

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_1449.PNG

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 minute ago, tekmantwo said:

That's interesting,  I  have not done anything along those lines but my more mature sister has done some research on the family. .maybe someday I will look into it. 

I remember the last time you showed that picture,  I  liked seeing the snake. ..

:) I was surprised to find out that I also had Asian DNA. I was expecting Native American DNA to show up because one of my great grandmothers was Native American but I guess it died out once I came along.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

5 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

:D who did you do your test through?

My sister had Ancestry.com do her test, assuming that we are related and the tests results would be the same, I don't plan to be tested...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

:) I was surprised to find out that I also had Asian DNA. I was expecting Native American DNA to show up because one of my great grandmothers was Native American but I guess it died out once I came along.

That is interesting.  I wonder why your great grandmother didn't show up?

I have always made the claim of being part Native American as well. ..:lol:

Just now, Tortuga said:

My sister had Ancestry.com do her test, assuming that we are related and the tests results would be the same, I don't plan to be tested...

Unless your identical twins, the results won't be the same. One sibling may get more parts of one parents DNA than the other. 

11 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I'm 30% Scandinavian. We are related!

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I think I am 30% Scandinavian too!

My sister did the same , whoduthunkit?...

1 minute ago, tekmantwo said:

That is interesting.  I wonder why your great grandmother didn't show up?

I have always made the claim of being part Native American as well. ..:lol:

:lol: I guess since it was my mothers great, great grandmother the DNA died out as time went on. My mom said she's gonna test hers. I'm looking forward to seeing if it shows up in her results. On a side note, I saw a video of a woman on YouTube that had results come back saying she was 100% Native American and another saying 97% Native American. That's pretty insane. I even saw 4 different people get results saying that they were 100% African and another of a woman who was 100% European. That's gotta be rare to 100% nowadays.

6 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Was it expensive?

Oh, and I'm assuming that's a dead snake? :scared::scared:

Yeah I guess you can say so. I paid $100 but if you click on this referral link, you save $10. The snake was alive :lol: It belonged to the guy that was holding the camera. https://www.ancestry.com/dna/lp/referral?extole_zone_name=friend_landing_coupon&extole_shareable_id=6324314870153389821&extole_campaign_id=6273642073131276859&extole_coupon_code=&o_xid=67694&o_lid=67694&o_sch=Affiliate+External

30 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

Unless your identical twins, the results won't be the same. One sibling may get more parts of one parents DNA than the other. 

Well, that would explain a lot...:lol:

I think her results are close enough for me.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

15 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

Yeah I guess you can say so. I paid $100 but if you click on this referral link, you save $10. The snake was alive :lol: It belonged to the guy that was holding the camera. https://www.ancestry.com/dna/lp/referral?extole_zone_name=friend_landing_coupon&extole_shareable_id=6324314870153389821&extole_campaign_id=6273642073131276859&extole_coupon_code=&o_xid=67694&o_lid=67694&o_sch=Affiliate+External

Saving 10 bucks sounds good, I don't think 100.00 is a bad deal for what you're getting, provided they aren't so swamped with requests that they start to make stuff up. That's been my concern. But I'm really curious.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

5 minutes ago, Old said:

Family DNA at  "Family Tree DNA"  is only $79. Google it.

Ya think curmudgeon would show up in a DNA test. :lol1: Might be well worth the money to find out.

How is it that the test cost but $79.00 and yet police departments have thousands of them stacked up from rapes and murders waiting for money to be processed?

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

4 minutes ago, rocket said:

Ya think curmudgeon would show up in a DNA test. :lol1: Might be well worth the money to find out.

How is it that the test cost but $79.00 and yet police departments have thousands of them stacked up from rapes and murders waiting for money to be processed?

Curmudgeon shows up in the thread "The Water Canopy-  A question without answers."

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

4 minutes ago, rocket said:

That's because the government is subsidizing the DNA testing, they want everyone's DNA on record..

:ph34r: ...where's a good conspiracy theorist when you need one...:lol:

2 hours ago, nanceebgd46 said:

Brother Jack,

Just to clarify...is or isn't that a REAL dead or alive snake...I looked at your picture several

times and concluded for myself...that it was a fake cloth snake...?  Please advise.:o.......Please!

The snake was real. I'm not scared of them at all. I've had plenty of pet snakes over the years.

2 hours ago, Old said:

Family DNA at  "Family Tree DNA"  is only $79. Google it.

I wonder if it tests your paternal and maternal side though.