JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My ancestry DNA results!

In other news...

Apparently a lot of white supremacists are finding out they aren't as 'white' as they thought they were. :lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

In other news...

Apparently a lot of white supremacists are finding out they aren't as 'white' as they thought they were. :lol1:

We're all mutts. 

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

47 minutes ago, Sophy said:

Seriously?  :D:D 

Yes, it was in the news. I didn't read the whole article so I'm not going to post a link but the knuckleheads said if they are part African it just meant there were white people in that part of Africa. ..:nope:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 4 weeks later...

I've always been very pale but after watching the PBS show Finding Your Roots, I had hoped I too would have an interesting mix of ethnicities, but it turns out I am 99.8% european/white with the other 0.2%  "indeterminate."  At least now when I just tell ppl that I'm white Canadian and they say "no but really, what's your background?"  I can prove with numbers that my ethnicity is in fact as boring as it sounds.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2017 at 4:34 PM, Tortuga said:

In other news...

It doesn’t get any better than this :lol:

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

On 10/13/2017 at 6:17 AM, A fellow servant said:

I had a DNA test performed last summer  and this was the results:

50%  Great Britain

28%  Ireland

22%  Other regions

Which company did you use?

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

40 minutes ago, A fellow servant said:

Jack,

I used ancestry.com   site   it was on sale this past summer.

On the website you can see specifics like what the other regions are. I had to wait like 2 years before they updated their data base before they could tell me what the other regions are. The way they redesigned the site is a little bite confusing when you try to see your results but you can see those specifics.

I watched the program, Finding Your Roots, last night on PBS, and it was a real revelation for the singer Carly Simon to find out that her DNA is 10% sub-Saharan African through her great grandmother who was brought to Cuba as a slave.

On the flip side, the host Henry Louis Gates Jr. said that it's a surprise to many African-Americans that most of them have as much as 20% European ancestry. 

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

My mother was adopted so we knew nothing about her biological family so I had a dna test.  (went through myheritage as it was on sale for $69).If you order from amazon, prime, you get free 2 day shipping also.    Myheritage also accepts free uploads from my ancestry and 23&me.  A nice way to get additional info free.  I also uploaded mine to dna.land.  ( free).  The results were similar to myheritage.  

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2017 at 2:56 PM, Brother Jack said:

So I bought one of those ancestry DNA kits and had my DNA tested. Unlike other tests which just test your DNA from your mother or fathers side, this test tests your DNA from both your maternal and fraternal side, so it's thorough. I was so excited to get my results! Turns out I'm 90% African, 7% European, 2% Asian and -1% Pacific Islander. Of my African DNA, I'm 47% Benin/Togo, 26% Cameroon/Congo, 11% Senegal, 3% South African central hunter gatherers, 2% North African, -1% Ivory Coast/Ghana. My European Ancestry is from 5% Iberian Peninsula,  1% Scandinavia, 1% Great Britain. My Asian ancestry is from Central Asia and my Pacific Islander ancestry is from Melanesia. Here's a pic of me. The first pic is me with my dad when I was younger. If you guys have taken DNA results before post your ancestry info :)

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_1449.PNG

Very cool.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

One day I may get to do a blood test. but I do love family history.

My Grandfather traced his family back to the First Fleet when he was alive. Owen Cavanough was my Many Greats back. He discovered The Cavanoughs had fled persecution From France.

They were the Heugonauts..So this is my Mums side. then from France to England. then in 1788 Owen Cavanough he as a Royal Able Seaman who married a convict.

But was in charge of looking after Governor Phillip aboard the Sirius. till It reached Australian shores. I recently discovered His daughter was Grace married a Turnbull. So I am related to the present Prime Minister. So guess you could say he is my distant cousin.

Then my Nana on my Mums side she was also from France.

then My Dad's side His Dad was from Scottland,  My Nana's family her dad was German came straight out after the war to start a new life. Changed his name. He married an Irish girl.

So I am a good mixture. 

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

• 7 months later...