JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My ancestry DNA results!

Update: 

When I first posted my DNA results, ancestry only had about 3,000 DNA references to compare. Since they now have 16,000, my results have been updated. Turns out I’m 93% African and 7% European. No Asian and Pacific Islander like I thought before. Turns out most of my DNA is from the Cameroon, Congo, and southern Bantu People’s. Here’s some updated info on my DNA results...

E067A32D-A338-43CE-B306-9C7E0726E6B4.png

D39E7750-CC66-4847-B39C-C75EB7BAC080.png

D3D0531F-8137-46E6-8ACA-F36E6ED122BD.png

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

Funny this.. I did the test last year due to my rather ungermanic looks and not knowing my mum's family very well. Her dad looked very dark. 

The first time I got my results I had a good chunk of Eastern Europe (mainly Balkan regions) which didn't surprise me. I just noticed I missed the update so I downloaded it. They have narrowed down the European results to regions rather than just "Western Europe" which I like. What surprised me is 8% Sweden which shows up as an isolated country. Also, Eastern Europe has been reduced to 8%. But understable since that set of DNA probably came from my grandfather and is slightly diluted. I am also disappointed that Europe South has disappeared.. bohooooo..You can see my before and after results here:

Screenshot_20180918-183814.jpg

Screenshot_20180918-183149.jpg

Edited by thegreenjudy

I thought this might be relevant, in case any sisters try to research their ancestry and go allllll the way back. 😂

A0590E10-F288-4BDA-88D2-A45331697CD9.gif

Edited by digital_dreamer

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

Just curious, who has a big chunk of 1 locality? I.e. my wife is 89% Europe. Me I'm a mix. Strange that my parents moved to Australia just before I was born. I expected Austrian roots. But my wife's paternal side is 4 generations Australian born (Mine has lots of pretty colours) be176312dfcb1a405aa13c5362b1c886.jpgb3bbe04e49ea54f11c99063b07fafb77.jpg

Older {waiting for wiser}

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/a-serial-rapist-eluded-police-for-years-then-they-searched-a-genealogy-site/ar-AAAsJ9E?li=BBnb7Kz

A serial rapist eluded police for years. Then they searched a genealogy site.

Like DeAngelo, Waller was arrested after police searched the genealogy site GEDmatch for leads. In DeAngelo’s case, officials did what’s called a familial DNA search of GEDmatch, in which they sought to find someone who was closely genetically related to him, and worked backward to find a suspect. Familial DNA searching, particularly as it relates to government-run DNA databases, has come into wider use around the country, but it raises complicated questions about whether it means that the privacy rights of people are forfeited, in effect, by the decisions made by their relatives.

This is interesting, they don't even need a criminals DNA to track them down..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 9/22/2018 at 8:12 PM, Tortuga said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/a-serial-rapist-eluded-police-for-years-then-they-searched-a-genealogy-site/ar-AAAsJ9E?li=BBnb7Kz

A serial rapist eluded police for years. Then they searched a genealogy site.

Like DeAngelo, Waller was arrested after police searched the genealogy site GEDmatch for leads. In DeAngelo’s case, officials did what’s called a familial DNA search of GEDmatch, in which they sought to find someone who was closely genetically related to him, and worked backward to find a suspect. Familial DNA searching, particularly as it relates to government-run DNA databases, has come into wider use around the country, but it raises complicated questions about whether it means that the privacy rights of people are forfeited, in effect, by the decisions made by their relatives.

This is interesting, they don't even need a criminals DNA to track them down..

Let me rephrase that, they don't need the criminals DNA in a genealogy database to track them down. If they have a suspects DNA they may be able to use DNA results submitted by relatives to track down the suspect.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Just now, Gregexplore said:

Tortuga DNA results 

Gremlin 88%

Funny 22% 

LOL :poke:

Wow.110%....:lol1:

Finally got my results in, would have posted sooner, but had website issues on my end.

I have a 73% rate of English, Welsh and Northwestern Europe (mainly focused in England West midlands and Wales), 26% Celtic (mainly Irish), and then this I never expected, 1% Filipino. Though I hear 1% may as well be 0%, and it can simply mean I share a gentic trait with them, but not that it may directly indicate ancestry, and that only results that are at least 15% should be considered seriously for such.

Most makes sense to me knowing my family tree. English parents, I have an Irish great grand mother on one side and a Welsh great grand father on the other. I have some French ancestry going much further back too.

I was actually expecting some Indian percentages knowing my great grandmother was raised there combined with what people have said about my skin tone, certain features in my apperance and those other relatives of my father's side who have a much darker skin tone, for years people have always said we don't quite look fully English most guesses have been Indian, Italian and Greek), even my own family members on my dad's side were surprised at this result, but there you go. Would simply seem my great grand mother was fully English but was raised in India. Still odd with the darker skin tone in that side of family though and the majority of people's observations.

Results may be subject to slight change when more research is completed, but for now that's that!

7f99be049afce07108f264979dafc356.png

20d43bfb3011e05cf0b25e0c49550d16.png

c29aec70e502b96c37be8b51d819c3da.png

I'd love to do mine... and particularly my son's.  I don't know a lot about his father's background beyond Black, American Indian and Filipino.  I don't know much about my dad's ancestry, either.. but I've got my mom's tracked (not thru DNA) all the way past the 1600s in Devon.  There is also mostly Irish and a bit of Welsh - and random other European mixes (German, French, Spanish).

'twould be fun! :) 

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

From Australia.@surfergirl a708b24104865f6ec3edcbef062c24f0.jpg&key=6756f902af3eddc62f27852334c4493330552d6849785a7a1498f024efba10eb

Older {waiting for wiser} emoji1353.png

Hey friend.  I haven't done this test.

But my grandfather before he died traced back to the First Fleet.  Owen Cavonaugh.  He was an Able sea man and was the first man to set foot on Aussie shores in 1788. In Botany Bay. Jackson Cove area. He helped sir Governor Philip out of the Boat. His name is on many plagues around Sydney.  He has a Street in Canberra named after him. My Grandfather was Mayor of Kograh in the 60's-80's. He traced us back to France.  The Huegonauts. Who fled persecution.  Then to England.  Owen married a convict. Margaret Dowling. I discovered up near Tamworth is a big Ship/ plague dedicated to the First Fleet.  Sirus is the ship. Which sank somewhere near Norfolk Osland. He was given land there in the Hawksberry area. 

So my Grandmother on my mum's side was from France.  

Then my Dads side my Great grandfather was from Germany.  I got to meet him and great grandmother. She was Irish.  My grandfather was from Scotland.  I found out last year  the ex PM. Malcolm Turnbull is a distant cousin.  His related to Grace Cavonaugh .she was Owen Cavonaughs daughter who married a Turnbull. 

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

I couldn’t put text to the screenshot. This is me. They refined it. I gained more African and more native. It was interesting. Before they, “refined”, it, it listed the various native groups. No Yurok listed, thank you. (I’m a member of that tribe) we are, ta-dah, of Mexican descent. Mostly. I haven’t done the research on where those north of us, that I am related to, came from. (Which we we’ll know, all you cousins of mine out there!) 

But this is so wonderful. And, don’t you know I delighted in sharing this with my son, (not yet in the truth) and a tad racist. 

Kids, and DNA. I have one son, green-hazel eyes, black hair, (going grey!) one son with blue eyes, brown hair, (ditto) and a daughter that is dark skinned, brown eyes, and brown hair. And, yes, the same father. In the past,I actually had ones who saw me with them actually ask if they had the same father! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

1 hour ago, Miss Bea said:

I couldn’t put text to the screenshot. This is me. They refined it. I gained more African and more native. It was interesting. Before they, “refined”, it, it listed the various native groups. No Yurok listed, thank you. (I’m a member of that tribe) we are, ta-dah, of Mexican descent. Mostly. I haven’t done the research on where those north of us, that I am related to, came from. (Which we we’ll know, all you cousins of mine out there!) 

But this is so wonderful. And, don’t you know I delighted in sharing this with my son, (not yet in the truth) and a tad racist. 

Kids, and DNA. I have one son, green-hazel eyes, black hair, (going grey!) one son with blue eyes, brown hair, (ditto) and a daughter that is dark skinned, brown eyes, and brown hair. And, yes, the same father. In the past,I actually had ones who saw me with them actually ask if they had the same father! 

How much African ancestry did you have?

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

5 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

How much African ancestry did you have?

4%. Cameroon, Congo, and southern Bantu people’s. I suspect it is from my fathers side. My maternal grandmother is 100% native. I always thought I was half native until the Yurok tribe formed. 3/8 is what I’m documented in the tribe. 

Its hard for me to think about. A sister said those low per cents were most likely where that family line began. Which is way fine with me. But, my brain does not compute. 

My daughter is doing the family tree thing. Which is interesting. She found out one of her paternal ancestors. Great, great, great grandfather, I think, was on the Dawes roll with the Cherokee nation. I think her doing a DNA would be fascinating. Her paternal Grandmother was native. You just saw it. So, I think she has more Indian, then perhaps myself. 

Her husband is Dutch. From Holland. Dutch is his primary language. 

So, my geandkids...way interesting!

8 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

43E79F12-FBB0-4358-AF9D-2952D58ACA04.thumb.png.ac878c386dcded02cf2ca07be029c584.png

1 hour ago, Miss Bea said:

4%. Cameroon, Congo, and southern Bantu people’s. I suspect it is from my fathers side. My maternal grandmother is 100% native. I always thought I was half native until the Yurok tribe formed. 3/8 is what I’m documented in the tribe. 

Its hard for me to think about. A sister said those low per cents were most likely where that family line began. Which is way fine with me. But, my brain does not compute. 

My daughter is doing the family tree thing. Which is interesting. She found out one of her paternal ancestors. Great, great, great grandfather, I think, was on the Dawes roll with the Cherokee nation. I think her doing a DNA would be fascinating. Her paternal Grandmother was native. You just saw it. So, I think she has more Indian, then perhaps myself. 

Her husband is Dutch. From Holland. Dutch is his primary language. 

So, my geandkids...way interesting!

I’m just now seeing the screenshot you posted. I don’t know how I missed that and some of the earlier posts. You have more Native American ancestry than most people. What a rich heritage. Wow, I’m majority Cameroon, Congo and southern Bantu peoples 🙂

Edited by Brother Jack

3 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

I’m just now seeing the screenshot you posted. I don’t know how I missed that and some of the earlier posts. You have more Native American ancestry than most people. What a rich heritage. Wow, I’m majority Cameroon, Congo and southern Bantu peoples 🙂

And, my spiritual brother, we are cousins!