JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Coffee: K-Cups

29 minutes ago, Old said:

What is an off brand Kcup?

I thought that Keurig owned the patent which has expired so all brands except Keurig are off brand, or is it something else? Are we talking store brands?

On the side of the box, in small print, it says it's single serving pods are not affiliated with or approved by Keurig Incorporated. I called it an off-brand because it didn't mention Keurig anywhere except the fine print.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On the side of the box, in small print, it says it's single serving pods are not affiliated with or approved by Keurig Incorporated. I called it an off-brand because it didn't mention Keurig anywhere except the fine print.

There are indeed some pods that will not fit the Keurig. Of course you have to find out after the hole is punched into it, then you throw it out I guess!

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

1 hour ago, walkr2 said:

There are indeed some pods that will not fit the Keurig. Of course you have to find out after the hole is punched into it, then you throw it out I guess!
Nope. Empty pod into a filter and pour  water thru it.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

38 minutes ago, pnutts said:

Nope. Empty pod into a filter and pour  water thru it.

...that's what my wife did with the "Caribbean Delight" coconut, caramel & hazelnut flavored coffee that was plugging our machine..:)

1 hour ago, bagwell1987 said:

That's why I don't use Keurig anymore. I have a Bunn, it takes all kinds of Kcups

Hmm..I should have researched a little more before I bought my second Keurig..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

16 hours ago, Tortuga said:

:)

Hmm..I should have researched a little more before I bought my second Keurig..

We bought the new Keurig from Costco when ours gave up but found Keurig changed its technology and would only use it's own Kcups. I wasn't happy with being told I couldn't buy whatever I wanted so returned it. Come to find out so many people returned it for the same reason they told Keurig about it and almost stopped carrying it.

I decided to change anyway. I like our Bunn coffee maker so I looked into a single cup maker and they had one. A bit more expensive but it's been really good. You pour in your cup of water each time but that way you don't have a whole reservoir of water that can turn gummy.  Plus you can do your own ground coffee as well, just don't grind it too fine. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 0:57 PM, Tortuga said:

Occasionally someone will give us some ground coffee so I have used the reusable K-Cup adapter many times for the ground coffee. I have found that most of the ground coffee that we have been given is ground too fine to do well in the adapter, it plugs up.

I have coffee beans from Stumptown Toasters that I will course ground and use the replacement/adapter. I didn't realize it was the texture that was defeating the adapter use.  I will look for the biodegradable cups. 

Someone gave me a bag of that Stumptown and got me drinking coffeee again. Husb bought the K machine. When it dies, I will not replace.

Edited by kejedo

Just now, kejedo said:

I have coffee beans from Stumptown Toasters that I will course ground and use the replacement/adapter. I didn't realize it was the texture that was defeating the adapter use.  I will look for the biodegradable cups.

The course ground should work, the fine ground may cause problems.

On Thursday, February 02, 2017 at 4:36 PM, walkr2 said:

McCafe....all flavors

I had some McCafe this morning, it tasted good except the filter had broken and I had coffee grounds all over the place. :eek:

CA today, 85 miles mostly coast mountain roads. Fortunatly there is a McDonlalds bout 40 minutes out. Time to stop for breakfast, sausage, egg and cheese McGiddle and a large latte. Start from home at six, stop at Micky Ds for breaky and on to Woodburn for rehearsals starting at 8:30. Back home at 6:20.  Luck of the draw, we were the car parked closest to the exit. 

It is a wonderful life!! :D

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Does anyone have an opinion about a travel version of single cup coffee maker? I have a gold filter I set on top of my cup but MH won't do that and has asked for a travel version. Been looking on Amazon, reading the comments but would welcome some first hand observations.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Jarred said:

A co-worker recommend this coffee. So far very happy with it. Good quality for the money. Caza Trail Coffee, Organic Extra Bold Medium Roast, 100 Single Serve Cups https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EDHW96O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8d.Xyb6213G55

Thanks, I'll check it out. We recently bought another box of Starbucks House Blend at Costco and then saw the Caribou coffee at Sams, so we have a lot of coffee at the moment. :eek:

I see you are in the East East Bay Area, is that Antioch/Pittsburg area?

2 hours ago, Jarred said:

A co-worker recommend this coffee. So far very happy with it. Good quality for the money. Caza Trail Coffee, Organic Extra Bold Medium Roast, 100 Single Serve Cups https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EDHW96O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8d.Xyb6213G55

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This is the one I've bought for MH, he does like it. But I find him sneaking into my box more often than I'm happy with:tsk:

• 4 months later...
On 2/18/2017 at 6:09 PM, bagwell1987 said:

Does anyone have an opinion about a travel version of single cup coffee maker? I have a gold filter I set on top of my cup but MH won't do that and has asked for a travel version. Been looking on Amazon, reading the comments but would welcome some first hand observations.

I've gone back to a Melita  single cup paper filter coffee maker. Works perfect every time. I get to tailor the strength based on how I feel in the morning. I've learned to enjoy the ritual. images.jpg.a0784ca092ef087cdf64d9e531272c92.jpg

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

12 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I've gone back to a Melita  single cup paper filter coffee maker. Works perfect every time. I get to tailor the strength based on how I feel in the morning. I've learned to enjoy the ritual. images.jpg.a0784ca092ef087cdf64d9e531272c92.jpg

12 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I stopped  using a French press before this because  I get super fine grinds at the bottom and because the glass carafe  broke. 

I'm eyeballing this one too, I like it because it's simple and can pack easy in the travel kitchen bag we have.

I'm using a french press right now but like you said, the sediment, meh, not good. But I use it for my tea more, it works perfect.

We drink cold pressed iced coffee in later spring to October then switch to hot so I'll need to decide on one by then.