JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Discussion Forum
JWTalk Forums

DISCUSS COURT CASE HERE JW.org - Jehovah’s Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia

21 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Have at it!

Well, I didn't find another translation that renders: 'piles'. There were 'tumors' (ASV, GNB, GW), 'tumors of the groin' (ISV) & 'disease' (BBE). However, I did notice something else. What the NWT renders:

"he began causing panic and striking them with piles";

The 'Brenton' Bible - along with Darby & ERV similarly - renders:

"he brought evil upon them, and it burst out upon them into the ships, and mice sprang up in the midst of their country, and there was a great and indiscriminate mortality in the city"

Must be some pretty significant manuscript discrepancies regarding this passage.

Adding to my previous comment,

Gill's Exposition says:

" it seems to be what we commonly call the piles, and has its name in Hebrew from the height of them, rising up sometimes into high large tumours:"

Jamieson-Faucet-Brown Commentary calls them:

"bleeding piles".

Strongs says the word can be translated:

"a mound". 

'Piles' is thus appropriately rendered as the disease as it "has its name in Hebrew from the height of them, rising up sometimes into high large tumours" (Gills)

4 hours ago, 1MKnight said:

Well, I didn't find another translation that renders: 'piles'. There were 'tumors' (ASV, GNB, GW), 'tumors of the groin' (ISV) & 'disease' (BBE). However, I did notice something else. What the NWT renders:

"he began causing panic and striking them with piles";

The 'Brenton' Bible - along with Darby & ERV similarly - renders:

"he brought evil upon them, and it burst out upon them into the ships, and mice sprang up in the midst of their country, and there was a great and indiscriminate mortality in the city"

Must be some pretty significant manuscript discrepancies regarding this passage.

Actually it was both piles and jerboa (mice)  mentioned at 1 Sam 6:4.

7 hours ago, 1MKnight said:

The freewheeling Message translation also can always be depended upon for some zingers:

God was hard on the citizens of Ashdod. He devastated them by hitting them with tumors. This happened in both the town and the surrounding neighborhoods. He let loose rats among them. Jumping from ships there, rats swarmed all over the city! And everyone was deathly afraid. 

8 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Pfft. 

Time to shut down the church then eh? Yeah? What? No?

Actually the Bible can't be banned as extremist according to Russia's law. But the judges said NWT is not the Bible at all. They can say anything they want. Anyting.

7 hours ago, Victoria said:

Actually the Bible can't be banned as extremist according to Russia's law. But the judges said NWT is not the Bible at all. They can say anything they want. Anyting.

Perhaps this is the way that the last of the people who have the right heart condition in Russia get to make a choice. As one brother in Africa, in a broadcast, noted, he was amazed at the resources that Jehovah made available on the chance that even one person would respond when they travelled hundreds of kilometres to give a witness. No doubt there would be individuals in Russia who do not agree with what their government is doing to our brothers and sisters. Let's all pray for those in Russia but let's also remember that these things need to occur and Jehovah has it under control.  As Jesus said, (Matthew 5:11, 12) . . .“Happy are you when people reproach you and persecute you and lyingly say every sort of wicked thing against you for my sake. 12 Rejoice and be overjoyed, since your reward is great in the heavens, for in that way they persecuted the prophets prior to you.

Edited by garryspicer
Spelling mistake

17 hours ago, alohapaulette said:

Actually it was both piles and jerboa (mice)  mentioned at 1 Sam 6:4.

Interesting, 1 Sam 5:6 is the verse I was evaluating. I am getting the impression that it may have started as a scribal error - seeing the mice mentioned one chapter later, and added them to the aforementioned verse. 

14 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

The freewheeling Message translation also can always be depended upon for some zingers:

God was hard on the citizens of Ashdod. He devastated them by hitting them with tumors. This happened in both the town and the surrounding neighborhoods. He let loose rats among them. Jumping from ships there, rats swarmed all over the city! And everyone was deathly afraid. 

Oh yes, the 'Message'. If i recall correctly, this one is heavy on the Trinitarian interpretations. 

16 hours ago, Loopy said:

https://www.jw.org/en/news/legal/by-region/russia/court-upholds-ruling-declare-bible-extremist/

Well, things just got harder for our dear friends in Russia. :(

So, that means more prayers, and more loving care from Jehovah. And, they touched Jehovah’s eyeball. Again. It will be interesting to see the consequences of that action. Most interesting.

On 04/01/2018 at 10:27 AM, Omoyeme said:

Definitely Sis! But I'm going to pray more for Brother Christensen and his wife Irina. -_- 

(His trial is next month.)

So true, I always try to mention the Russian brothers in prayer and I have learnt at least the first names of  Paulos Eyasu, Isaac Mogos, and Negede Teklemariam ; so now I and have added Dennis and irina (their family name easier to remember) to my "hit list"  I have felt in my own life Jehovah's loving arms go around me in times of crisis, so I know that he will comfort them all.  I prayed they would let Brother Christensen have a bible and from the reports it seems he must have one now, so you see my prayer WORKED!!  (I'm kidding I know there were millions of others praying for him too.)