JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

DISCUSS COURT CASE HERE JW.org - Jehovah’s Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1390 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On 2018-02-08 at 11:30 PM, Victoria said:

More bad news. Some more publications are claimed exteremist. Some more brothers and sisters are charged with a crime because of attending meetings. Now they can go to jail for 10 years. Really scary.

Dont be afraid sister. Jehovah is in full control. Nothing happens without him allowing it. I will keep praying for you all dear friends. ♥️

Sister, I just asked Jehovah to watch out for you dear ones and somehow, to reassure you of His love. And protection. Keep praying. We will too, and one day, this will be but a memory. And, we will be discussing our faithful Russian brothers and sister as examples of loyalty to Jehovah. Down through the ages. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

On 2/8/2018 at 5:30 PM, Victoria said:

More bad news. Some more publications are claimed exteremist. Some more brothers and sisters are charged with a crime because of attending meetings. Now they can go to jail for 10 years. Really scary.

23 hours ago, Victoria said:

Yes,  I meant that, but I didn't no the details till today. Now I am TERRIFIED. 

Indeed, my dear sister, we are all unitedly praying for you and your husband. We are asking Jehovah to keep you out of harm's way, or if not, to give you undeniable evidence of his presence and strength close by your side. You are not alone!

Dear sis Victoria.

I keep trying to think how i would feel there and i honestly cannot imagine except scared. I know it may not seem to help now. But millions are praying for you all daily.
In yrs to come you will look back on this time and wondered how you managed. It will be through jehovahs spirit.
I wish we could all give you the support you need.
Much love and prayers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

On 2/9/2018 at 6:31 PM, Victoria said:

Yes,  I meant that, but I didn't no the details till today. Now I am TERRIFIED. 

It is not everywhere. There are hot spots. the two towns are 3200 kilometers apart. russia is a huge country overall. Most Witnesses have merely tightened an already cautious deportment. They now must look over their shoulder more than in the past. They still laugh. You could think of the Jewish pogroms of a century ago, which were very bad when they happened. But they did not always happen.

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

23 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

If it weren't so late and I wasn't chronically overworked, I'd translate this for you all.

For now, all those with sufficient French and German skills can enjoy a very powerful appeal by a Déborah CHARLIER, a French lawyer who studied at Louvain Catholic University.

WOWW!!! What an articulate speaker! And she speaks with such conviction it would sound like she was one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Like you, I wish I had the time to translate it. It would take a major effort for me to do so, since she speaks European French, and I only speak Quebecish.

I wonder if we can ask @Dages in here to help out.

JW Russia.org; https://jw-russia.org/news/18021313-287.html

Karelian Prosecutor's Office Selects a Liturgical Building from the Finnish Religion

13 Feb. 2018

An interesting legal turnaround unexpectedly took the case, which on March 2, 2018 will be considered in Petrozavodsk city court on the suit of the first deputy prosecutor of the Republic of Karelia to the "Religious Association of Jehovah's Witnesses" in the Republic of Finland (Jehovan todistajat -uskonnollinen yhdyskunta). The subject of the claim is a liturgical building with an area of 460 square meters. m., located in the center of Petrozavodsk (Pervomaisky Avenue, 52), which the prosecutor's office wants to turn into the ownership of the Russian Federation.

In 1998, the building was purchased for 150 000 USD by the Society of the Watchtower, Bibles and Treatises of the Kingdom of Norway (Vakttårnets Bibelog Traktatselskap). After 9 years, in 2007, the Norwegian religious organization decided to give the building to Russian co-religionists. For this purpose, a donation agreement was concluded, and the Local Religious Organization of Jehovah's Witnesses Petrozavodsk became the owner. Finally, in March 2017, the ownership of this liturgical building was transferred to the "Religious Association of Jehovah's Witnesses" in the Republic of Finland. Later, the Petrozavodsk religious organization was liquidated. However, foreign religious organizations continue to officially exist.

The Karelian Prosecutor's Office asks the court to annul the donation agreement concluded in March 2017 in order to confiscate the building that temporarily belonged to the Petrozavodsk community. As the basis for his claim, the prosecutor's office cites 2 innovative grounds: the transaction is illegal, because there is between two persons of the same religion of Jehovah's Witnesses (?), And the transaction is illegal, because the parties to the deal wanted to keep the property inside the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses (?).

February 6, 2018, the case took a new turn: after hearing about the prosecutor's claim, the Norwegian organization of Jehovah's Witnesses applied to the Petrozavodsk city court, the one that bought this building in 1998 and in 2007 presented it to the Petrozavodsk community. Norwegian Jehovah's Witnesses reasonably stated that if the court takes the position that the gift agreement between two religious organizations of the same faith is illegal and entails invalidity of the transaction, then the 2007 donation contract must be invalidated. And then, on the basis of Art. 167 Civil Code of the real estate object must be returned to the Norwegian "Society of the Watchtower, Bibles and Treatises." Norwegians recall that Article 1 of Protocol No. 1 to the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms guarantees the protection of property: "Every natural or legal person has the right to respect for his property. No one shall be deprived of his property except in the public interest and under the conditions provided for by law and the general principles of international law. " The court allowed the Kingdom of Norway's "Watchtower Society, Bibles and Treaties" to participate in the case as a third person claiming independent claims regarding the subject of the dispute.

Thus, three states are involved in this litigation. A hearing involving the plaintiff (Russian prosecutor's office), the Finnish defendant (Jehovan todistajat -uskonnollinen yhdyskunta) and the Norwegian third person (Vakttårnets Bibelog Traktatselskap) will continue on March 2, 2018 at 10:00.

What a beautiful hall inside!

Edited by Omoyeme

• 2 weeks later...

According to jw.org, the authorities have unjustly ruled to keep Brother Christensen locked up in pre-trial detention until August 1, 2018?!  His [sham] trial reconvenes on February 26th.

Please brothers and sisters let's keep him, and our Russian, Eritrean, Korean, and remaining spiritual family, who are unjustly incarcerated, in our prayers! :bible2:

On 2/12/2018 at 11:51 PM, ChocoBro said:

If it weren't so late and I wasn't chronically overworked, I'd translate this for you all.

For now, all those with sufficient French and German skills can enjoy a very powerful appeal by a Déborah CHARLIER, a French lawyer who studied at Louvain Catholic University.

Wish this was in English, don’t understand a word she is saying but looks like she is a good speaker? What is the main points she is saying? Seems it’s about JW’s

On 12/02/2018 at 10:51 PM, ChocoBro said:

AMAZING a modern day Gamaliel... fabulously moving.  

On 2/25/2018 at 10:44 AM, BroJPM said:

Wish this was in English, don’t understand a word she is saying but looks like she is a good speaker? What is the main points she is saying? Seems it’s about JW’s

With a name like Jean-Pierre, you should speak French. Don't you? It is indeed about JWs. I wish I had the time to translate it for you.

Does anyone know how to get a translation from French (or German) to English?

On 2/25/2018 at 10:44 AM, BroJPM said:

Google German translates the title as "defense speech for the persecution of Jehovahs Witnesses".

1 hour ago, booboo said:

Google German translates the title as "defense speech for the persecution of Jehovahs Witnesses".

It absolutely does not. Google translate renders the translation "Defense speech for human rights against persecution of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia"

Edited by ChocoBro

9 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

It absolutely does not. Google translate renders the translation "Defense speech for human rights against persecution of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia"

Wont it be wonderful when this language thing is not an issue! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

20 minutes ago, booboo said:

50A855F8-3850-4691-9EC8-2457FBBAA4FD.jpeg

You: verteidigungsrede für die gegen Verfolgung der Zeugen Jehovas

(not a German sentence)

Youtube: Verteidigungsrede für die Menschenrechte gegen Verfolgung der Zeugen Jehovas in Russland

For Google Translate to even remotely work, it's important input the sentence that is to be translated without anything missing.

Like Stavro said, copy and paste is easier but I guess it's not that easy on a phone either.

Edited by ChocoBro

Eh hmm!!...returning to the original topic(s) of discussion...

jw-russia.org: https://www.jw-russia.org/news/18022814-290.html

In Orel, a 35-day Break in the Hearing of the Case of the Danish Jehovah's Witness

28 February 2018

On February 26, 2018, the Oryol District Railway Court granted the defense's motion and granted Dennis Christensen extra time to review the case file. Earlier, the Sovietsky District Court of the city of Orel severely restricted him in this right, giving him only 2 weeks to get acquainted with 2,500 pages of documents in a non-native language.

In connection with the hearings in the city of Orel is the Consul of the Royal Embassy of Denmark in Moscow, Jean Christine Demirci.

The hearing in the Zheleznodorozhny District Court of Orel will continue on April 3, 2018 at 10:30.