JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

DISCUSS COURT CASE HERE JW.org - Jehovah’s Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1362 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Another family member arrested.

Ref: https://jw-russia.org/news/18052416-323.html

Perm: a criminal case for faith, a believer sent to prison

24/05/2018

The 48-year-old Alexander Soloviev, a resident of Perm, who is suspected of professing the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses, was sent to a temporary detention facility. He was detained in the evening of May 22, 2018. The issue of electing a preventive measure against him should be decided on May 24.

Alexander Soloviev and his wife Anna returned home after a trip abroad. Friends who came to meet them at the railway station Perm-2, saw that law enforcement officers drove up to the car, put handcuffs on Alexander, and drove them and his wife in different cars to an unknown destination.

All through the night, from 22 to 23 May, searches were conducted in their apartment, during which all documents for property, electronic devices, media, wi-fi-router, photographs, a collection of Bibles were seized.

Alexander Soloviev is in the temporary detention center on the street. Ural, 90, in the city of Perm. His wife has been released so far.

Those SOS were waiting for them all along!

April 19 2018 jw-russia.org: In Bashkortostan, the believer was sent to SIZO for 52 days

During the mass searches that took place in Ufa on April 10, 2018, one of the local residents, 32-year-old Anatoly Vilitkevich was arrested.

Update May 25 2018 jw-russia.org Anatoly Vilitkevich - who is he?

Article includes an address for letters to be send

6 hours ago, humblebumblebee said:

It's umbelievable! I got used to getting bad news. Such a great news surprised me. Why did they let him go? What next?

BTW I saw the news in the Internet, I don't know any details.

On 5/24/2018 at 1:43 AM, Victoria said:

But I think I feel a real Christian for the 1st time.

How often that is true. It's not until a person stares persecution and threats right in the face that he draws close to Jehovah so deeply to seek refuge. For that reason he may feel it's the first time he has ever really been a Christian. That being said: I am probably not a Christian... yet. I feel for you in your surroundings, Victoria. But your comment has made me wonder about my own precarious situation, hoping I will react the same way as you when I am faced with circumstances like that. You have no idea how much your example inspires me. Thank you.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:00 PM, humblebumblebee said:

correction: Alexander Soloviev

jw-russia.org: Perm: a criminal case for faith, a believer sent to prison

Update: jw-russia.org Believer in Perm was transferred from the detention centre for house arrest

The investigator for especially important cases, AE Leontyev, asked the court to elect a preventive measure in the form of detention in relation to the believer. The investigator was supported by A. Kostarev, senior assistant to the regional prosecutor. However, the court found it possible to apply a softer measure - in the form of house arrest.

Solovyov is forbidden to leave the apartment, use the telephone and the Internet, send and receive mail and SMS, communicate with people who are persons involved or witnesses in this criminal case.

There is no end to it!

jw-russia.org: Three people were arrested in Tatarstan after mass raids

On May 27, 2018, in Naberezhnye Chelny (Tatarstan), law enforcement officers invaded the 10 apartments of local residents suspected of professing the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses.  Arrested

37-year-old Ilham Karimov,

30-year-old Vladimir Myakushin and

25-year-old Konstantin Matrashov.

jw-russia.org: Valentin Osadchuk - who is he?

This is the second profile of our brothers held for his faith in prison. Not extremists at all but loving and caring.

once again an address is included, so ones that are able can show love and support to our brothers in return.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:43 PM, Omoyeme said:

In Kabardino-Balkaria, the court ruled to block four sites of Jehovah's Witnesses

Update - Good News!

jw-russia.org: The Court of Appeal overturned the decision to ban the site jw-russia.org

On May 30, 2018, the Supreme Court of Kabardino-Balkaria cancelled the decision of the lower court to block four sites, including the official information site "Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia" (jw-russia.org).

2 hours ago, humblebumblebee said:

On May 30, 2018, the Supreme Court of Kabardino-Balkaria canceled the decision of the lower court to block four sites, including the official information site "Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia" (jw-russia.org).

Earlier, in February 2018, the Prosecutor's Office of the city of Prokhladny (Kabardino-Balkaria) applied to the Prokhladnensky District Court for a lawsuit on blocking jw-russia.org on the territory of Russia, as well as three other unrelated sites about Jehovah's Witnesses. The reason for the prosecutor's appeal, presumably, was the article " In the Elbrus for Faith, a Peaceable Honored Person Is Sent ", dedicated to the unfair prosecution of 70-year-old local believer Arkadi Hakobyan.

The district court judge Tahir Metselov refused to participate in the "Watchtower Society, Bible and Pennsylvania treaties" case, despite the fact that the Society claimed its rights to the site jw-russia.org, indicated the existence of a copyright protection mark on this site and sent her representative to protect her rights. As a result, the case was heard with the assistance of Assistant Prosecutor Czapski DS, who stated that the sites should be banned only because they contain information about Jehovah's Witnesses. In the court session, the court did not enter the Internet and did not investigate the sites.

On March 20, 2018, the Prokhladnensky District Court granted the prosecutor's claim, deciding to restrict access to this site. However, now, 2 months later, the appellate court reversed and terminated the proceedings in this case.

:thumbsup:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

More arrests!

jw-russia.org: In the Magadan region, three believers were arrested On May 30, 2018, 31-year-old Konstantin Petrov, 41-year-old Yevgeny Zyablov and 65-year-old Sergey Erkin were arrested in Magadan on suspicion of professing the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses. Believers are in a temporary detention facility.

39-year-old believer arrested in Khabarovsk In the evening of May 30, 2018 in Khabarovsk was taken into custody 39-year-old Ivan Pujda. It is noteworthy that the decision to arrest Ivan Pujda was issued by the court in Magadan, where on the same day three believers were arrested.

Update on brother Dmitry Mikhailov

In the Ivanovo region arrested 40-year-old believer 

Earlier, on April 20, 2018 , he was recognized as suspected of involvement in the activities of an extremist organization - under travel restrictions.

On May 29, 2018 - taken into custody - now suspected of "financing" extremist activities.

In Tatarstan the fourth believer is taken into custody 

24-year-old Aydar Yulmetyev was arrested on May 29, 2018 in Naberezhnye Chelny, who is suspected of professing the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses.

(see post 4558) His arrest was preceded by mass searches in the homes of local citizens, as well as the arrest of 37-year-old Ilham Karimov, 30-year-old Vladimir Myakushin and 29-year-old Konstantin Matrashov. It is known that one of them, Vladimir Myakushin, was given a preventive measure in the form of detention for a period of 57 days, until July 25, 2018.

Edited by humblebumblebee

On 6/1/2018 at 6:53 AM, humblebumblebee said:

Practically speaking, this means that I can restore all the deletions made from that source in the 'extremist free' version of 'Dear Mr. Putin - Jehovah's Witnesses Write Russia.'

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/826384

The original is still risky, though, as there are a few quotes from Watchtower publications. Mostly, though, both books confine themselves to purely secular sources. Both are free and it is hoped that they may somehow influence things for the better.

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

2 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

I down loaded it, and need to get back to it. Thanks, brother. 

If you do, download it again. Tommy was hasty in its release and has combed it over since for better wording and removal of some errors.

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

Okay, do I understand this correctly? Dennis Christensen presided over a Bible study meeting at a Kingdom Hall in Russia one year ago. He has been jailed for a year in pre-trial detention, after police broke in with SWAT team gear to arrest him. Several motions to have him released on his own recognizance have proved unsuccessful and bank accounts have been frozen, leaving his wife to fend for herself. Only now, after a year in prison, is his case finally coming to trial, having been postponed several times.

And…a key prosecution witness is an individual who will testify out of sight, his or her voice garbled by electronic means. Are you kidding me? For a Bible teacher? Is it prosecution theatrics to plant the notion that Jehovah’s Witnesses are as dangerous as the mob?

And then…more evidence that this escalation is unheard of, at least in the Orel court, it turns out that no one knows how to make the machine do what it is supposed to. The witness’s testimony is garbled to such an extent that nobody could understand it, and the trial was postponed until they either got someone who knew what he was doing or brought in a better machine. “Try speaking in syllables,” the judge (or someone) had said, but it was no good.

Look, you want to fear the authorities, “for it is not without purpose that it bears the sword,” and it sure has been bearing it lately with Jehovah’s Witnesses, the subject of numerous SWAT team searches in various parts of Russia. One tries not to invoke images of Boris and Natashia from Bullwinkle, but with reports like these it is hard to banish the thought.

Prosecutors attempted to restrict news media coverage to the trial. But Dennis doesn’t see himself as a criminal and stated such secrecy would impede a fair trial. The judge agreed with this and denied the motion of the prosecution.

http://www.tomsheepandgoats.com/2018/06/a-dangerous-criminal-that-everyone-can-see-is-not.html

RUSSIA: FURTHER RAIDS, ARRESTS OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

Wednesday 6 June 2018
RUSSIA: FURTHER RAIDS, ARRESTS OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

http://www.forum18.org/archive.php?article_id=2385

Law enforcement agencies launched multiple armed raids on Jehovah's
Witnesses' homes in four further regions. Long interrogations followed,
including of an 83-year-old woman. Courts put another five people in
pre-trial custody as they face criminal investigation. Twelve Jehovah's
Witnesses are now behind bars, with at least 30 facing criminal cases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Incredible!...Russian authorities are upset that JW representatives have appealed to the ECHR about their property case! (The needle on their haughty meter is "smoking and about to explode!)

https://www2.stetson.edu/~psteeves/relnews/180605c.html

Russian government defends liquidation of Jehovah's Witnesses organization

GOVERNMENT VIEWS BAN OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES POSITIVELY

Russian side files objections on appeal in E.C.H.R.

by Dmitry Marakulin

Kommersant, 5 June 2018

The government of the Russian Federation sent to the European Court of Human Rights (E.C.H.R.) objections regarding the case of the "Administrative Center of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia and its head, Vasily Kalin,  who late last year appealed against the illegal liquidation of the religious organization and seizure from the Jehovists of a property complex located in an elite district of St. Petersburg with a value of around two billion rubles. In the estimate of the Russian authorities, the liquidation of the Jehovists' organization was "the positive obligation of the state."

Russia considers the Jehovah's Witnesses' appeal to the E.C.H.R. to be unacceptable--because of the abuse by the plaintiffs of their right (article 17 of the European Convention)—and it requests refusing them. "The liquidation of the religious organization 'Administrative Center of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia' was fashioned on the basis of the provisions of current legislation and the interference in the right of the plaintiff was proportional to the legal goals sought and was necessary in a democratic society," the objections of the Russian government indicated. At the same time, as follows from the document, the liquidation of the Jehovists was not simply the right but the "positive obligation of the state."

22 minutes ago, Omoyeme said:

Incredible!...Russian authorities are upset that JW representatives have appealed to the ECHR about their property case! (The needle on their haughty meter is "smoking and about to explode!)

https://www2.stetson.edu/~psteeves/relnews/180605c.html

I did the 😡 because it makes me angry our brothers are suffering like this. But only for a little while longer.

Just like the Psalmist we wonder:   Psalms 94:10 “How long, O God, will the adversary keep taunting? Will the enemy treat your name with disrespect forever?”

Edited by Loopy

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

After three books, you would think I would have learned not to release them prematurely. You would think I would learn that reading them through a few times and handing them to proof-readers is not enough. I think this book needed more corrections than the other two combined. Maybe because it was more ambitious. Maybe because most paragraphs weren’t written concurrently and many first appeared somewhere else in modified form. Even the ’extremism free’ version fell short of its goal. I have fixed it.

It’s embarrassing. And I apologize to whoever downloaded it. I got impatient, is all I can say. Download it again, if you will. The price is the same: free. All errors are out, and most were not really errors in the first place, but just clunky expressions or oddball punctuation that I brought under control.

Hmm. Is there a search tool that looks for ending a sentence with a preposition? I still have a few of those, but other than an English teaching harrumphing over it, the sin is not that great. And the education chapter strikes me as a little too unfocused. But overall, I am happy with Dear Mr. Putin, and whoever has downloaded it, I invite them to do it again

For anyone to whom this is new, the book is a collection of news reports, both from Western and Russian sources, of the April 20th trial, July 17th appeal, ban of the Bible, confiscation of the property, and tribulations of Brother Christensen, followed by a defence of some of the most slanderous charges against us, followed by some writing designed to put the truth in the best light to ones in that land. Not everyone will like some of Part 2 (the defences), for some of the charges made against us are truly vicious, and it is hard to defend them without going there. The Introduction of the book provides adequate warning. For anyone interested, info to download it is on my profile page.

(This forum is not a bookstore, and the administrators are indulgent in my case. Possibly they agree with me that the material is important and that , so far, there is nothing comparable.)

can you give a link to it Tom?

The post Sandra made on the article I have to admit I got cross-eyed reading it. I couldn't even understand it by reading between the lines. Reading wht you write probably help me understand what's going on.

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

On 6/12/2018 at 7:20 PM, bagwell1987 said:

can you give a link to it Tom?

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/815620