JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

DISCUSS COURT CASE HERE JW.org - Jehovah’s Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1362 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

9 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

So have people started with 'dear...' or not? If not, did you just put their name at the start?

I think if it was that important the organisation would have added that to the instructions. Just follow the instructions we have been supplied with. Do what you would normally do. No need to add to the should we or should we not. He is not going to read them all. :) pretty sure of that.

Just how I see it.

Edited by Mykyl

39 minutes ago, And_Ray said:

Addresses on envelope should be as written in the instructions PDF on the website.

Sent from my LG-H440n using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Samira said:

I was thinking about this......

33 minutes ago, JudyO said:

I think if acceptable, Dear Minister of Justice would be so much easier.

29 minutes ago, Samira said:

I agree.........it's only Putin.....he is the ruler......and  Esteemed...:D

3 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

So have people started with 'dear...' or not? If not, did you just put their name at the start?

As was stated, address the letters  exactly  as shown in the PDF file. The Governing Body already gave us our instructions,  they intend that we follow them  precisely,  to the letter....

For some reason, the thought  'he did it just so' keeps coming to mind...

These people are persecuting my Brothers and Sisters;  they are not 'dear'  to me...

If we need to put an exclamation mark after someones name, maybe someone there can absolutely confirm that,  also somebody could call Branch and ask them..

1 hour ago, And_Ray said:

Letters to Putin should start with "Esteemed Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin!".
Also when referring to the one we're writing to "you" should be with capital Y, You.
Those are some rules of Russian correspondence.

Sent from my LG-H440n using Tapatalk

I would of thought the Governing Body would of mentioned that if it was critical to our letters. I have sent my first batch with Dear President Putin, and Dear Mr Medvedev etc etc 

When 100s of thousands of letters start arriving they will have to take note of the general message content of the letters. This is going to go global, I can feel it. If just the pioneers, elders and ministerial servant send 1 letter to some or all of the  6 individuals as they should if they are going to set an example to everyone else. Then they are going to get over a million letters each. 

This will not go unnoticed however we start the letters. :)

Edited by MentalProject

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

3 minutes ago, MentalProject said:

I would of thought the Governing Body would of mentioned that if it was critical to our letters. I have sent my first batch with Dear President Putin, and Dear Mr Medvedev etc etc 

When 100s of thousands of letters start arriving they will have to take note of the general message content of the letters. This is going to go global, I can feel it. If just the pioneers, elders and ministerial servant send 1 letter to some or all of the  6 individuals as they should if they are going to set an example to everyone else. Then they are going to get over a million letters each. 

This will not go unnoticed however we start the letters. :)

Yeah I thought the same that's if it was important it would have been mentioned...it was only after this thread I even considered it. Well I've started mine with 'dear' now as feel weird not to!

I am preparing to write my 6 letters but cannot bring myself to refer to President Putin as "dear" or "esteemed" neither seem appropriate as I personally don't hold him "dear" or "esteemed" It just makes me feel hypocritical for the same reasons I would not address the pope as your holiness or a priest as reverend. So I was thinking of writing ;

Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin President of Russia

Sir,

I am writing regarding ..................

Does that seem appropriate do you think? Or am I wrong?

4 minutes ago, BibleSteve said:

I am preparing to write my 6 letters but cannot bring myself to refer to President Putin as "dear" or "esteemed" neither seem appropriate as I personally don't hold him "dear" or "esteemed" It just makes me feel hypocritical for the same reasons I would not address the pope as your holiness or a priest as reverend. So I was thinking of writing ;

Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin President of Russia

Sir,

I am writing regarding ..................

Does that seem appropriate do you think? Or am I wrong?

That seems totally fine to me. I agree I do not want to put esteemed or dear. I put Mr President Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin,....

Brother Andrej posted this interesting information:

Also when referring to the one we're writing to "you" should be with capital Y, You. 
Those are some rules of Russian correspondence

Thank you Andrej, can you or anyone else explain some of these Russian grammatical rules, such as why is there an exclamation mark placed after the name/title of the salutation?  Why is a capital "Y" used every time "you" or "your" is written, is this only when addressing government leaders or for even letters between friends? 

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

3 hours ago, carlos said:

Maybe something like this:

1.- Express your concern for the harassing of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia and the threat of banning them.

2.- Explain why JWs are not extremists or a threat for any government.

3.- Explain some ways in which being one of JWs has helped you be a better person and citizen.

4.- Request to stop the persecution against JWs.

Great ideas! Thank you Carlos!

33 minutes ago, BibleSteve said:

Paul instructed us to respect and honor those in positions of authority in the world.  We do so, not because they deserve it but to respect Jehovah who allows them to stay in their station.  We honor or respect their office, not the man.

(Rom 13:7)  7Render to all their dues: … to the one who calls for honor, such honor

16 minutes ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Brother Andrej posted this interesting information:

Those are some rules of Russian correspondence

Thank you Andrej, can you or anyone else explain some of these Russian grammatical rules, such as why is there an exclamation mark placed after the name/title of the salutation?  Why is a capital "Y" used every time "you" or "your" is written, is this only when addressing government leaders or for even letters between friends? 

Capital Y is using in formal letters to show respect to the addressee. It's also in Lithuanian.

Find the letter in Your language: https://www.jw.org/download/?docid=702017108&output=html&fileformat=PDF&alllangs=0&track=1&langwritten=ES&txtCMSLang=E&isBible=0

____
"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

13 hours ago, Miss Mouse said:

someone refresh my memory was it Malawi ?

I remember that! I was about 7 years old and my parents had a piece of paper with addresses written down. They explained to me what we were going to do and why. I wrote my own letter and sent it off. I fully expected to receive a reply back and was so disappointed when it didn't come. :) 

44 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

Special report on JWB

https://download-a.akamaihd.net/files/media_broadcasting/f6/jwb_E_201703_14_r720P.mp4

Very sobering.

Elders sent a text to everyone to read the jw.org news and to get writing a letter.

Thank you soooo much! At the end, Brother Sanderson sending message to Russian witnesses in Russian!!!

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

13 hours ago, Miss Mouse said:

I'm so excited I'm beside myself ( now there are two of me) . I remember doing a similar campaign years ago ......someone refresh my memory was it Malawi ? I would like to be a fly on he wall in the post office when all these letters start arriving lol . 

Makes me  think of  Daniel 11:44  ......perhaps the reports will be our letters . ( just thinking out loud)   

I remember writing letters to Malawi many years ago, alone and also with the congregation..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

OK so I wrote; 

Vladimir Putin President of Russia

Dear Sir,

As one of Jehovahs witnesses I write concerning the recent change in attitude by the law authorities in Russia suggesting that Jehovahs Witnesses are an extremist group and considered a threat to other people within your country.............

Feeling more comfortable now as its a formal term and not a friendship one and shows respect

In each of our different languages, we have a format/way of writing official letters - I would use what is expected for the language I am writing in. 

In other news: I used the link Johan provided and sampled a couple of languages....some have extra addresses to write to, for example, all the Russian Embassies in the Branch territory. Cool!