JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Lets Talk About Rice

On 3/27/2017 at 4:58 PM, Omoyeme said:

I've been cooking, exclusively with Indian basmati rice for years.  I eat it as a base with African stews. But, lately I've been creating my own stir-fry recipes using cubed meat, curry spices, garlic, onions, veggies while cooking this in coconut oil.  Sometimes I like a little "heat" to my dishes so I'll add some cayenne pepper, chili powder or chitpole.

Oh great...now I'm hungry! :wacko: :chef:

I would love to get some African stew recipes! Sounds delicious.

I grew up with a rice dish that's sort of like Hungarian goulash -you know, almost everything but the kitchen sink.

Cook your fav rice

Add: cooked/ browned ground beef cooked with  onions so they sautee with the meat and add cooked green peas and a few spices like garlic, salt , pepper, oregano,  and combine it all in the pot once rice is all done,,  then to the pot add a dollop or two of  honey and sprinkle over it grated Romano or parmesan cheese.

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

4 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I grew up with a rice dish that's sort of like Hungarian goulash -you know, almost everything but the kitchen sink.

Cook your fav rice

Add: cooked/ browned ground beef cooked with  onions so they sautee with the meat and add cooked green peas and a few spices like garlic, salt , pepper, oregano,  and combine it all in the pot once rice is all done,,  then to the pot add a dollop or two of  honey and sprinkle over it grated Romano or parmesan cheese.

It's been 14 months since I had to give it up, this dish made me drool, I miss rice so bad.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

2 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

It's been 14 months since I had to give it up, this dish made me drool, I miss rice so bad.

Nothing feels as good as healthy feels. And in the new system we will be completely healthy , to enjoy every good thing that Jehovah made for us to enjoy. Hang in there friends, the best is yet to come.

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

Thanks Vincent, I literally don't eat anything anymore. Today I had 7oz of elk burger on an onion bun with dill relish and mustard for lunch, no breakfast. Then just ate a nutrition bar before bed. I should be a skinny-minny, nope.

I cannot wait till the NS where I can actually eat.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

On 3/26/2017 at 9:29 PM, hatcheckgirl said:

Brown rice, on the other hand, has significantly more arsenic than white rice and should be avoided or consumed rarely.

:scared: I thought that "brown" rice"  is healthy ??? :wall:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Omoyeme said:

Next time you're out grocery shopping Bro. Matthew, may I suggest purchasing a good quality Chinese 5-spice seasoning? It's perfect for stir-frying and it will add a whole new dimension to your cooking. :)

4.jpg

I've got something like that, looks akin to what I used :)

The one I have is quite good, though Im, looking for versions without added sugar in but everything else the same. I've recently found where to buy a natural soy sauce which is all natural whole ingrediants too, known as "Tamari soy sauce".

https://www.kikkoman.co.uk/product-range/tamari-gluten-free-soy/

Edited by EccentricM

Last night I took basmati rice and added  a tin of coconut milk added one chopped onion a half teaspoon of Thai green paste and a half a teaspoon of curcuma powder then just before the rice was cooked I added a chopped banana and stirred it in, result? it was delicious!

I like to make Chinese restaurant style rice, often with shrimp and chicken.

I have a rice cooker and I typically cook my rice in broth. Then I put some onions to cook in a little oil and add the chicken and shrimp, then I'll add the rice, one egg, that I stir up with the rice, diced carrots with peas, scallions, and a little salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper, then I mix in the soy sauce and mix everything up real good, and serve up and try to eat while as hot as possible. It's really good. Almost as good as the restaurants.

I also live in cajun country, and I really need to learn to make Jambalaya lol. I can make chicken etoufee. You start with a roux. Most people make it with Tony's instant roux, but it's not that difficult to make. It just takes patience. You mix some flour with oil and stir it until, as my cajun lady friend told me once, "it's the color of an old penny". If you don't live in the US and thus don't know the color of an old penny (especially if you're in a place like Canada where they no longer have pennies, here's an illustration)

image.png.cb92df6116d0fc6fcf4b26d95bb9c5a7.png

when it's that color, you add in onions then the chicken and seasoning and serve it over rice.

I made a gumbo once, and the way I made it was similar to the etoufee, but with more water, and I added chicken, shrimp, and I think sausage, and, that too, is meant to be served over rice. Rice is very popular in south louisiana.

19 hours ago, Omoyeme said:

Next time you're out grocery shopping Bro. Matthew, may I suggest purchasing a good quality Chinese 5-spice seasoning? It's perfect for stir-frying and it will add a whole new dimension to your cooking. :)

4.jpg

I need to try this

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...