JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Research Guide for Jehovah's Witnesses—2017 Edition

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2283 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

26 minutes ago, Brother Arellano said:

Thanks for the update. Does anyone know if there will be a print version of this? While helpful the .pdf is still a bit cumbersome to navigate. 

There is no print edition available in English. It would be nice if it was made available in JW Library, with embedded links that could take you to the reference material at the tap of a finger

Thanks for the update. Does anyone know if there will be a print version of this? While helpful the .pdf is still a bit cumbersome to navigate. 

It will not, however, it is completely searchable in the Online Library. The PDF is if you wish to print it yourself.

____
"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

8 hours ago, jscotchie said:

There is no print edition available in English. It would be nice if it was made available in JW Library, with embedded links that could take you to the reference material at the tap of a finger

:whistling:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

When I was a kid, if you wanted to check a subject in some theological  reference, you had to go to the Public Library, find the book or document and search it through (page-by-page).  Now we want to tap a finger.  Things have changed.

My folks had "Strong's Concordance" and "Vine's Expository Dictionary" at home so that was as far as I usually went in research (plus the Watchtower indexes - or should that be indices?).  My research today is a thousand times more detailed than anything I could have imagined 60 years ago.  This is the "Good 'New' days.

7 minutes ago, jwhess said:

When I was a kid, if you wanted to check a subject in some theological  reference, you had to go to the Public Library, find the book or document and search it through (page-by-page).  Now we want to tap a finger.  Things have changed.

My folks had "Strong's Concordance" and "Vine's Expository Dictionary" at home so that was as far as I usually went in research (plus the Watchtower indexes - or should that be indices?).  My research today is a thousand times more detailed than anything I could have imagined 60 years ago.  This is the "Good 'New' days.

Is there some way it can just read my mind, so I don't have to tap a finger? :D

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

22 minutes ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

Is there some way it can just read my mind, so I don't have to tap a finger? :D

Yes, but you need to put your phone or tablet on top of your head for the next 6 hours so it can calibrate. You wife needs to post pictures.....:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I remember spending hours with stacks of of bound volumes and miscellaneous publications stacked preparing for my talks in the Ministry School. Only to have someone point out I missed a more recent article. So the good new days these are indeed. I really appreciate and love the layout of the research guide. And all the articles listed are recent! 

• 7 months later...
On 4/13/2017 at 10:49 PM, jscotchie said:

Ta da!

It's on JWL....

Finally!  The Research Guide is an excellent addition for JW Library.  The great thing is, you don't really need to install the publications referenced in it, as all articles are part of the package, even the Reasoning Book (so in a way you have at least some of the reasoning book as well).    And having the Research Guide makes searching and studying using JW Library a very good all-round alternative to using Watchtower Library.

Edited by Jonathan77

3 minutes ago, Dove said:

It's listed under Index..not Books..took me a minute..:)

Index?

My JWL doesn't have an Index folder...yet...

1 minute ago, Tortuga said:

Index?

My JWL doesn't have an Index folder...yet...

Under the main heading Publications? You can't get to it by clicking on Books, as I thought, in that list but under the subject 'Index' in that list.

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain that right the first time..maybe not this time either..:?

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

7 minutes ago, Dove said:

Under the main heading Publications? You can't get to it by clicking on Books, as I thought, in that list but under the subject 'Index' in that list.

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain that right the first time..maybe not this time either..:?

You explained it fine, the Index folder just hasn't shown up on my Android device yet but it did show up on my PC. :)

14 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

You explained it fine, the Index folder just hasn't shown up on my Android device yet but it did show up on my PC. :)

I found it on my iphone and ipad..:)

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I think I might use the RSG as part of our FW. We can pick a subject and look at all of the reference material for that subject, it will be a good way to get familiar with the RSG.

I love the RSG since all the Information is according to our latest understanding and up to date. I check it yesterday during the book-study with the subject "Gog" - and sure enough only our current understanding was listed!!!! Love it!!!!

If Satan reminds you of your past remind him of his future.

On 11/15/2017 at 6:59 PM, Tortuga said:

I think I might use the RSG as part of our FW. We can pick a subject and look at all of the reference material for that subject, it will be a good way to get familiar with the RSG.

After I got it loaded into all the devices I got to reading, mostly randomly,  almost ate up the whole afternoon. ..haha, read something,  then that reminds you about something else, then that answer makes you curious about another point and then that answer settles another point but you read a little bit past the answers and get interested in ----.....well,  y'all can see how I spent a couple 3 hours reading. ..hah, it's good for me. 

I probably would have wasted the morning trying to find MotoGP races or flying videos so I am glad I got to download the update. 

Much better subject materials and more helpful as well. ..

After all, drifting race bikes through turns at over 120mph can only hold my attention for a little while. ..I will need the New System before I can do any of that ....

Edited by tekmantwo

Added link..

On 11/15/2017 at 7:45 PM, Jonathan77 said:

Finally!  The Research Guide is an excellent addition for JW Library.  The great thing is, you don't really need to install the publications referenced in it, as all articles are part of the package, even the Reasoning Book (so in a way you have at least some of the reasoning book as well).    And having the Research Guide makes searching and studying using JW Library a very good all-round alternative to using Watchtower Library.

So excited about this too. Can do my research in my fingertips. The brothers are really working hard. Really appreciate.

As for your eyes, straight ahead they should look, yes, your own beaming eyes should gaze straight in front of you - Prov. 4:25

• 5 weeks later...
After I got it loaded into all the devices I got to reading, mostly randomly,  almost ate up the whole afternoon. ..haha, read something,  then that reminds you about something else, then that answer makes you curious about another point and then that answer settles another point but you read a little bit past the answers and get interested in ----.....well,  y'all can see how I spent a couple 3 hours reading. ..hah, it's good for me. 

I probably would have wasted the morning trying to find MotoGP races or flying videos so I am glad I got to download the update. 
Much better subject materials and more helpful as well. ..

After all, drifting race bikes through turns at over 120mph can only hold my attention for a little while. ..I will need the New System before I can do any of that ....

An ex ironworker that can read?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

An ex ironworker that can read?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Well, you know,  grunting and pointing will only work until you retire, then there's that whole domestication thing...:confused:

Good to hear from you Bro, glad the storms didn't get ya...