JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Eurovision 2017

• 4 weeks later...

So far I like France's entry - a sweet song.  And the film clip is beautiful - it's Paris, so of course it is.  Now I know it makes a difference with the actual performance of course.  I think this year we are seeing a return to the more traditional format of unique songs from the countries participating.  I loathe the churned out generic music of last year's competition - another idol/talent show.  I like Eurovision to be tacky, tasteless, with wind machines and weird songs.  I like the gimmicky skating violinist, the ethnic dancing and the celebration of one's own culture.

(Have you seen Croatia?  Now that's.....interesting.....)

2 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

So far I like France's entry - a sweet song.  And the film clip is beautiful - it's Paris, so of course it is.  Now I know it makes a difference with the actual performance of course.  I think this year we are seeing a return to the more traditional format of unique songs from the countries participating.  I loathe the churned out generic music of last year's competition - another idol/talent show.  I like Eurovision to be tacky, tasteless, with wind machines and weird songs.  I like the gimmicky skating violinist, the ethnic dancing and the celebration of one's own culture.

(Have you seen Croatia?  Now that's.....interesting.....)

Yeah, I love this "Requiem"! :D At first I didn't like that there's 2 languages in one song but later I understood that it's just a typical France culture.

My favorites are UK, France, Poland. Moldova's guys were so fun to watch during their performance in Semi-Final. :loopy: 

Also I listened to Croatia's song, it's really different, but with meaning! I love this type of songs.

Spoiler

Not to be patriotic but I think the Portuguese song is definitely the best (and the only one that sang in a idiom different than English). Wonderful composition, arrangements and vocals, with a pack of simplicity and humility

English lyrics

Love for Both of Us

If one day someone asks for me
Say I lived to love you
Before you, I only existed
Tired and with nothing to give

My love, listen to my prayers.
I ask you to come back, that you want me again
I know you do not love yourself
Maybe you can slowly learn again

My love, listen to my prayers.
I ask you to come back, that you want me again
I know you do not love yourself
Maybe you can slowly learn again

If your heart does not want to give in
Do not feel passion, do not want to suffer
Without making plans of what will come after
My heart can love for both

11 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

Not to be patriotic but I think the Portuguese song is definitely the best (and the only one that sang in a idiom different than English). Wonderful composition, arrangements and vocals, with a pack of simplicity and humility

I like the Portuguese song very much. And the singer is an interesting character.

21 minutes ago, carlos said:

I like the Portuguese song very much. And the singer is an interesting character.

In reality the singer has no carrier in music. Her sister does. She wrote the song and offered to her brother for him to sing. He is a very humble person. He is very ill, and is desperately waiting for an heart transplant

1 hour ago, jayrtom said:

In reality the singer has no carrier in music. Her sister does. She wrote the song and offered to her brother for him to sing. He is a very humble person. He is very ill, and is desperately waiting for an heart transplant

Oh, I didn't knew that. I don't know how to express my own feelings after I listen to this song. As one man commented, "I listen to it 300 times and all these 300 times I cried". Genius in simplicity.

:lol2: Ha, ha, ha, the Spanish song got the last position! The song and the singer were so extremely bad that they didn't deserve anything else.

That stupid and rude boy expected this would turn him into a music star, and he has become instead the laughingstock for the whole country.

1 minute ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Spain was lame, but the winner, Portugal was well deserved!  What a very poignant and beautifully expressed and performed song.  Just like an old fashioned song contest this year.  I liked Moldova too.

Yes, the Portuguese singer was great. A beautiful song, simple and humble, without lights, choreography or any effects. Just the words and the music. It was well deserved.

I liked what he said about current music being churned out like fodder (or words to that effect), and that music should have feeling.  It resonated with the majority of Europeans that we need a return to real expression of feelings in our lives, and music can do that when properly used.  It is, after all a gift from Jehovah.

(and now it's ticking towards Midnight, so I'll catch you all later!)

Yes, the Portuguese singer was great. A beautiful song, simple and humble, without lights, choreography or any effects. Just the words and the music. It was well deserved.

That person was in a desperate need of a better hair stylist though.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

My favorite voice - Lucie Jones/Kristian Kostov

My favorite show - SunStroke Project

My favorite song - "Beautiful Mess" (because of deep meaning)

My cutest show - NAVIBAND

Worst voice - O. Torvald

Worst show - Spain :D Because it's not the right place to sing this song and make a classy Spanish show :D

It's just my opinion ^_^

I've downloaded the Eurovision album (sucker for more punishment, as if 3 late nights were not enough).  And I've just heard the RUSSIAN entry, the one that was banned.  It is a very predictable ballad, not too much to recommend it, but pleasant enough sung in a thick English accent.  Without seeing it performed, we'll never really know for sure, but I don't think it would ever have been a contender for winning.

The Portuguese singer gave the best song, no doubt.

San Marino was almost as bad as Spain.  There's a special type of torture watching Valentina Monetta perform in Eurovision, again and again.  I didn't care a jot about the song Belgium did.  Blah!

My favorite voice - Lucie Jones/Kristian Kostov

My favorite show - SunStroke Project

My favorite song - "Amar Pelos Dois" - exquisite in its simpleness

My cutest show - Hungary - he plays on a milk jug, there's a violin, and a gypsy dancer :) 

Worst voice - O. Torvald

Worst show - Spain :D Same reason as you, with San Marino a close second

3 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

I've downloaded the Eurovision album (sucker for more punishment, as if 3 late nights were not enough).  And I've just heard the RUSSIAN entry, the one that was banned.  It is a very predictable ballad, not too much to recommend it, but pleasant enough sung in a thick English accent.  Without seeing it performed, we'll never really know for sure, but I don't think it would ever have been a contender for winning.

The Portuguese singer gave the best song, no doubt.

San Marino was almost as bad as Spain.  There's a special type of torture watching Valentina Monetta perform in Eurovision, again and again.  I didn't care a jot about the song Belgium did.  Blah!

My favorite voice - Lucie Jones/Kristian Kostov

My favorite show - SunStroke Project

My favorite song - "Amar Pelos Dois" - exquisite in its simpleness

My cutest show - Hungary - he plays on a milk jug, there's a violin, and a gypsy dancer :) 

Worst voice - O. Torvald

Worst show - Spain :D Same reason as you, with San Marino a close second

I liked Russian song really. But I agree that it wouldn't be a strong contender to win the Eurovision.

San Marino was so weak. Their song reminds me old school days, it's like from 80's-90's :D Belgium was a big disappointment. Blanche has a unique voice, but her show was nothing good. But 4th place is high enough! I personally didn't like this song like people who fell in love with it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...