JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What's the Weather like where you live?

1 minute ago, Loopy said:

Flooding around there?

Goodness! Whole towns in some area are under water. Arkansas, Missouri, just awful. I may complain about our weather, but I don't want that either.

Yes, the weather men are calling it the '100 yr rain' - the congressman on the radio report said we have had three (3) '100 yr rains' lately.  We have had areas flood where that has NEVER happened.  South of me it was reported they a  10 in of rain!  That area is very low lying so our brothers/sisters are in a mess there!  Please keep them in your prayers.  Last Sunday the freak storm that was so bad had many of us not being able to leave home for the COs last day.    Yesterdays storm has caused all kinds of havoc, flooding, large trees down - a real mess.  During the electrical storm last night, while lights were out, all I could think of was 'what Armg will be like weather-wise.'   Along our property lies  a very flooded bayou and we live on a lake, so I can watch the alligators go one way and the snakes swim the other way.  Needless to say, we respect those creatures Jehovah has made so I am inside the house and will be for awhile!  

Welp, it's 36f at 10 am. Brrrrr!! Feels like 30. 

Didnt sleep well last night. Woke up this morning with sinus. Due to allergies or weather related.

Fell asleep on the couch....DANG! Missed service again.  :shrugs:

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

1 hour ago, Loopy said:

Welp, it's 36f at 10 am. Brrrrr!! Feels like 30. 

Didnt sleep well last night. Woke up this morning with sinus. Due to allergies or weather related.

Fell asleep on the couch....DANG! Missed service again.  :shrugs:

Next time you can't sleep, use the time to write not-at-home letters.  Then, if you sleep through field service, you will still have spent some time in the ministry. ^_^

Edited by Friends just call me Ross

Spell check *eye roll*

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

It's 7:04 pm right now and it's 84 degrees in Arlington TX. It's supposed to get up to 87 tomorrow.

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

11 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

It's 7:04 pm right now and it's 84 degrees in Arlington TX. It's supposed to get up to 87 tomorrow.

Rub it for in Brother Jack, rub it in. It's a balmy 41f with a feels like temp of  32f here. 

Edited by Loopy

2 minutes ago, Loopy said:

Rub it for in Brother Jack, rub it in. It's a balmy 41f with a feels like temp of  32f

Lol I don't see how y'all do it up there. Y'all's winters are too cold and too long :whistling:

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

3 minutes ago, Loopy said:

Rub it for in Brother Jack, rub it in. It's a balmy 41f with a feels like temp of  32f here. 

How warm does it get in the summer and with how high humidity?

1 minute ago, Brother Jack said:

Lol I don't see how y'all do it up there. Y'all's winters are too cold and too long :whistling:

Yeah, we have a saying up here. 9 months of winter and 3 months bad snowmobiling. :lol1:

12 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

How warm does it get in the summer and with how high humidity?

Tuff question. We can have a couple hot days in the 80's and the next week could be anywhere from 50-70's.

Seriously, Actually, depending on the summer it can get pretty warm here. Sure, 70-80 something range.

I'm hoping we have a warm summer....when & if it ever gets here.

Ask Ross tho. She lives about 30 minutes away from the lake and it can be 10-15f higher out there. 

Especially when she's out in the fields working in the hay. It can be mighty hot out there.

But at least we don't get hurricanes. Have had a tornado or 2 around here, but nothing overly dangerous. 

2 hours ago, Loopy said:

Tuff question. We can have a couple hot days in the 80's and the next week could be anywhere from 50-70's.

Seriously, Actually, depending on the summer it can get pretty warm here. Sure, 70-80 something range.

I'm hoping we have a warm summer....when & if it ever gets here.

Ask Ross tho. She lives about 30 minutes away from the lake and it can be 10-15f higher out there. 

Especially when she's out in the fields working in the hay. It can be mighty hot out there.

But at least we don't get hurricanes. Have had a tornado or 2 around here, but nothing overly dangerous. 

Well at least it doesn't get hot where you live. It gets very hot in Texas, especially south near Houston with 100% humidity. Here in North Texas we get 100 or more degree summer days easily with up to 100% humidity. In 2011 we reached 40 consecutive days with 100 degree or more weather and 70 100 degree or more weather days for the whole year. The record is 42 consecutive 100 degree days in 1980. In 2011 I was working in a warehouse with no air conditioning and it was always at least 5 degrees hotter inside. Several times I thought I was gonna pass out. Several did. I live in tornado alley and tornados are very common here. They are so common that many of us don't get in protective shelter when we hear the tornado sirens going off because we are so used to it. I know myself and everyone I know here doesn't get in the bathroom unless they hear strong winds. Not the smartest thing in the world to do, I know. Here's a link showing records of hot days in Dallas. https://www.google.com/amp/amp.livescience.com/16036-dallas-heat-record.html

Edited by Brother Jack

7 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

Well at least it doesn't get hot where you live. It gets very hot in Texas, especially south near Houston with 100% humidity. Here in North Texas we get 100 or more degree summer days easily with up to 100% humidity. In 2011 we reached 40 consecutive days with 100 degree or more weather and 70 100 degree or more weather days for the whole year. The record is 42 consecutive 100 degree days in 1980. In 2011 I was working in a warehouse with no air conditioning and it was always at least 5 degrees hotter inside. Several times I thought I was gonna pass out. Several did. I live in tornado alley and tornados are very common here. They are so common that many of us don't get in protective shelter when we hear the tornado sirens going off because we are so used to it. I know myself and everyone I know here doesn't get in the bathroom unless they hear strong winds. Not the smartest thing in the world to do, I know. Here's a link showing records of hot days in Dallas. https://www.google.com/amp/amp.livescience.com/16036-dallas-heat-record.html

Nope, too hot fir me. 100% humidity would kill me. I like it warm, not like living in Hades. :lol1:Wow! I'll bet most people stay in the house with the a/c roaring. 

Nope, seen too many tornado alley type shows on the weather channel (storm trackers). I can't imagine living in fear of those things. 

Just seeing the total destruction left behind by those tornadoes is awful to see.

As much as I dislike winter, I'll just shovel the snow and dress really warm. 

I can't imagine being out there in field service for too long in that heat. 

Well, one tornado siren, black clouds, a puff of wind & i'd be leaving a cloud of dust behind me as I was booking it to a safe place. 

***trembling at just the thought of a tornado****

2 minutes ago, Loopy said:

Nope, too hot fir me. 100% humidity would kill me. I like it warm, not like living in Hades. :lol1:Wow! I'll bet most people stay in the house with the a/c roaring. 

Nope, seen too many tornado alley type shows on the weather channel (storm trackers). I can't imagine living in fear of those things. 

Just seeing the total destruction left behind by those tornadoes is awful to see.

As much as I dislike winter, I'll just shovel the snow and dress really warm. 

I can't imagine being out there in field service for too long in that heat. 

Well, one tornado siren, black clouds, a puff of wind & i'd be leaving a cloud of dust behind me as I was booking it to a safe place. 

***trembling at just the thought of a tornado****

Lol hades. I can't really complain though because I really hate the cold. I'll take the heat any day. Maybe being up north it wouldn't be too bad because it's a dry cold in some places. Tornados are so common here that they really don't scare you until you see one in person. The sound and sight of one is enough to give your a heart attack. Spring has my favorite temperature. I like gentle warm sun with a slight breeze. I don't look forward to spring every year because spring is when we have the severe weather and tornadoes. And sometimes tornadoes hit very close to my house. The good thing about tornadoes is that they may skip over you and land somewhere else. Hurricanes and earthquakes get everybody. As far as field service goes, a lot of brothers wear short sleeve shirts in summer. I don't because I think it's too casual. It's not uncommon to see our brothers drenched in sweat out in service. During summer I carry a small towel out in service to wipe off the sweat before I go to the next door or else you'll be embarrassed and unpresentable in service. Anyone who lives here knows that when your outside talking on the phone you have to frequently wipe the sweat off the screen from it resting on your face. Some people's phones even end up "water damaged." Mechanics here make a killing repiring car ac systems.

Our heat is over 40C/104F in the summer, but it is a dry heat.  Easterly winds blowing in from the desert makes it dry.  It is bearable, and the air-con is on all the time.  Witnessing is hard in the late morning to late afternoon - good time to do calls.  But when there is a cyclone up north, we will have humidity (not 100% like you Bro Jack!).  Perth has pretty stable weather all year round.  I think anyone would enjoy living here, despite the high heat over the long summer months.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:20 AM, Friends just call me Ross said:

Next time you can't sleep, use the time to write not-at-home letters.  Then, if you sleep through field service, you will still have spent some time in the ministry. ^_^

"not-at-home" letters... what do they look like? What would they say? Is there are place I should be able to find that info? :-)

4 hours ago, Proverbs 3:5-6 said:

"not-at-home" letters... what do they look like? What would they say? Is there are place I should be able to find that info? :-)

You just put the presentation you were going to make in person down on paper, stick it in an envelope and leave it for the householder to find when they finally get home.

Neatly hand-written is preferred, but I have to type mine.  I usually start off with "Sorry I Missed you.  The reason I am writing is..."

^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

2 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

You just put the presentation you were going to make in person down on paper, stick it in an envelope and leave it for the householder to find when they finally get home.

just a friendly reminder:

KM 11/96 p.2

Question Box

▪ What should we keep in mind when writing letters to householders whom we have been unable to find at home?

For a variety of reasons, we are finding it increasingly difficult to contact people when we visit their homes. Some publishers have found letter writing to be a practical way to reach them. While this can produce some good results, there is a need to consider some reminders that can help us to avoid some difficulties:

Do not use the Society’s return address. This would improperly indicate that the correspondence was sent from our offices, causing unnecessary problems and sometimes extra expense.

Make sure you have the correct address and sufficient postage.

Do not address letters to “Occupant”; use a specific name.

Do not leave letters in the door when no one is at home.

Brief letters are best. Enclose a tract or a magazine rather than attempt to write out a lengthy message.

Typewritten letters are much easier to read and create a more favorable impression.

Letters are not counted as return visits unless you have personally witnessed to the individual previously.

Okay, today's "balmy" morning (9:40 am) spring U P temperature is 35f with a feels like temp of 24f. 

It feels extra cold cause the wind (20 mph with gusts of 31) is coming from the north off Lake Superior. 

Beng what we called a Yooper this temp this time of year is no surprise. 

10 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Neatly hand-written is preferred, but I have to type mine.  I usually start off with "Sorry I Missed you.  The reason I am writing is..."

^_^

Oh I like that  :-)  so... do you do that for select addresses? or just for people you already have talked to or even those you haven't met? Do you leave it attached to a magazine or tract? Do you make mention of coming back?  I just noticed Carole's reminder of direction given in the KM 11/96 p.2  - I appreciate the highlighting of and bringing that to my attention about the do not leave letter in the door - would a sticky note then be what is appropriate or it would be a mailed letter meaning it is to someone you have then met - not a "cold call"? (if that is an appropriate term in this case)

Edited by Proverbs 3:5-6

I read Carole's response just after

Hi Jenny.

Most of us in our (Ross' and me) congregation when we go to an RV we'll have a brief note prepared (post it, or paper clipped) on the publication just in case they're not home. That's one way. Also it's a good way to start time before the meeting for service. If they're home we just leave it in there.

We even started taking down addresses for places in the territory that are marked "No Trespassing" or places like apartments, trailer courts (we only have one of those here). Than we can mail them a brief letter and include a tract. Whether we hear back from our them or not we've done our job letting them know about Jehovah. 

21 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

My weather app was correct. It's 87 degrees right now.

12 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

My weather app was correct. It's 87 degrees right now.

I can't wait to show a temp above the 30's. When that'll happen? I'm not holding my breath. Cruise boats normally start up the 15th of May. Consider this: they say it's generally +10f on the water. Wearing a hooded sweatshirt, Winter jacket, & gloves, is not my idea of seeing a tourist attraction.

IMG_0328.JPGThis is today's temp at about 6:15 pm. I've had clothes on the line outside since Friday afternoon. They are still damp.

Edited by Loopy