JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New World Translation (Study Edition) (nwsty)

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1764 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I must express my gratitude for the new study edition. Having spent some time going through the Bible book of Luke, I've come to Appendix C, which does not appear in the printed editions of the Bible. It's all about Jehovah's name and the restoration of it. Jehovah's name does not appear in the manuscripts to the Christian Greek Scriptures as we know them today, so how do you know where to insert it? This Bible explains it in simple terms.

Let me take an example. Whereas in the old reference bible, the footnote to Matthew 1:20 reads:

“Jehovah’s.” J3,4,7-14,16-18,22-24(Heb.), יהוה (Yeho·wahʹ); Gr., Κυρίου (Ky·riʹou), without the definite article, “Lord’s.” The Holy Scriptures, by J. N. Darby, 1920 (corresponding to the German “Elberfelder Bibel,” 1891), says in a ftn on Mt 1:20: “ ‘Lord’ without the article, signifying as very often, ‘Jehovah.’ ” This is the first of 237 places in the Christian Greek Scriptures where the divine name “Jehovah” occurs in the main text of this translation. In addition it occurs 72 times in the ftns but not in the main text. See App 1D.

Appendix 1D contained this:

1:20+ Ky; J3,4,7-14,16-18,22-24

Useful, of course, if you knew how to use it.

But here's the information as it's presented in the new study edition. The study note reads:

Jehovah’s: This is the first of 237 places in the Christian Greek Scriptures where the divine name, Jehovah, occurs in the main text of this version.—See App. C.

Jehovah’s angel: This expression occurs many times in the Hebrew Scriptures, starting at Ge 16:7. When it occurs in early copies of the Septuagint, the Greek word agʹge·los (angel; messenger) is followed by the divine name written in Hebrew characters. That is how the expression is handled at Zec 3:5, 6 in a copy of the Septuagint found in Nahal Hever, Israel, dated between 50 B.C.E. and 50 C.E. (See App. C.) A number of Bible translations retain the divine name when rendering the expression “Jehovah’s angel” in this verse.—See App. A5 and App. C.

The commentary in appendix C reads:

MATTHEW 1:20 “Jehovah’s angel”

REASON(S): The expression “Jehovah’s angel” occurs many times in Hebrew in the “Old Testament,” starting at Genesis 16:7. When “Jehovah’s angel” occurs in early copies of the Greek Septuagint, a translation of the “Old Testament,” the Greek word agʹge·los (angel; messenger) is followed by the divine name written with Hebrew characters. That is how this expression is handled at Zechariah 3:5, 6 in a copy of the Greek Septuagint found in Nahal Hever, Israel, which some scholars have dated between 50 B.C.E. and 50 C.E. It is noteworthy that when later copies of the Greek Septuagint replaced the divine name with Kyʹri·os in this and many other verses, the definite article was omitted. This may be another indication that Kyʹri·os replaces the divine name here and in similar contexts.

SUPPORT: The use of the divine name here is further supported by the following reference works that mention this occurrence of Kyʹri·os as referring to God or as an equivalent of the Tetragrammaton. It is also supported by a number of Bible translations into different languages that use such renderings as Jehovah, Yahveh, Yahweh, יהוה (YHWH, or the Tetragrammaton), LORD, and ADONAI in the main text or that otherwise, in footnotes and marginal notes, indicate that this is a reference to Jehovah God.

A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, revised and edited by F. W. Danker, 2000, lists Matthew 1:20, 24; 2:13, 19; 28:2 under the definition of “lord” as “a designation of God.” It goes on to say: “Without the art[icle] . . . , like a personal name.”

The reference work Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament, 1991, (Vol. 2, pp. 329-330) lists Matthew 1:20, 24; 2:13, 19; 28:2 as verses where Kyʹri·os is “used in the NT [New Testament] of Yahweh/God.”

The Holy Scriptures, by J. N. Darby, 1920 (corresponding to the German Elberfelder Bibel, 1891), says in a footnote on this verse (as well as in footnotes on Matthew 1:24 and 2:13): “‘Lord’ without the article, signifying, as often, ‘Jehovah.’”

The Restored New Testament, by Willis Barnstone, 2009, states in a footnote on the expression “an angel of the Lord”: “From the Greek . . . (angelos kyriou), from the Hebrew . . . (malakh yahweh), . . . A literal rendering would be Yahweh’s malakh or ‘messenger.’” In the main text of Matthew 28:2, this translation reads: “An angel of Yahweh.”

The Complete Jewish Bible, by David H. Stern, 1998, capitalizes the word “ADONAI” in this verse. In the introduction to this Bible, the translator explains: “The word ‘ADONAI’ is used . . . wherever I, as the translator, believe ‘kurios’ is the Greek representation of the tetragrammaton.”

The Companion Bible, with notes by E. W. Bullinger, 1999 printing, capitalizes LORD in the main text of Matthew 1:20 and adds this footnote: “the LORD = Jehovah.”

The Original Aramaic New Testament in Plain English (An American Translation of the Aramaic New Testament), by Glenn David Bauscher, 2012, says in this verse, as well as at Matthew 1:24; 2:13, 19; 28:2: “The Angel of THE LORD JEHOVAH.”[J29]

The Holy Name Bible, revised by A. B. Traina, 2012, says in this verse, as well as at Matthew 1:24; 2:13; 28:2: “the angel of Yahweh,” and at Matthew 2:19: “an angel of Yahweh.”[J32]

The Hebraic Roots Bible (with study notes), published by Word of Truth Publications, 2012, says in this verse, as well as at Matthew 2:13, 19; 28:2: “a Cherub of YAHWEH,” and at Matthew 1:24: “the cherub of YAHWEH.”[J31]

The Aramaic English New Testament, (Third Edition), by Andrew Gabriel Roth, 2008, says in this verse, as well as at Matthew 28:2: “a messenger of Master YHWH,” and at Matthew 1:24; 2:13, 19: “the messenger of Master YHWH.”[J30]

The Messianic Jewish Shared Heritage Bible, 2012, uses ADONAI in this verse. The glossary on page 1530 explains: “When written in small capitals, it [ADONAI] refers to God’s personal name YHWH as given in the Hebrew Bible. This personal name is God’s ‘covenant name,’ used when God is relating to the Jewish people in an intimate way.”

The Newberry Study Bible, by Thomas Newberry, 1890 printing, (Hodder and Stoughton, London), p. 2. At Matthew 1:20, “LORD” appears in small capitals, and the marginal note says: “Heb. Jehovah.”

OTHER TRANSLATIONS: J3, 4, 7-14, 16-18, 22-24, 28-41, 43, 45-50, 52, 55, 59-61

Easier? Better? I'm happy anyway. So, happy digging. Let's see what you can find.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Here's another detail. Matthew 25:34 reads:

Then the King will say to those on his right: ‘Come, you who have been blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the founding of the world.

In the reference bible, the only footnote is for 'founding', and it reads:
Lit., “a throwing down [of seed].” Gr., ka·ta·bo·lesʹ.

In the new Study Bible, you find these enlightening comments:

inherit: The basic meaning of the Greek verb is for an heir to receive something as a right, often because of relationship, such as a son receiving an inheritance from his father. (Ga 4:30) But here, as in most occurrences in the Christian Greek Scriptures, the term is used in the broader sense of receiving something as a reward from God.—Mt 19:29; 1Co 6:9.

the Kingdom: In the Bible, the term “kingdom” is used in several different ways, including “the region or country governed by a king,” “kingly power,” “a realm,” and “being ruled by a king.” Here it is evidently used in the sense of receiving the benefits or blessings of being ruled by God’s Kingdom and enjoying life within its realm.

founding of the world: The Greek word for “founding” is rendered “to conceive” at Heb 11:11, where it is used with “offspring.” Here used in the expression “founding of the world,” it apparently refers to the conception and birth of children born to Adam and Eve. Jesus associates “the founding of the world” with Abel, evidently the first redeemable human of the world of mankind whose name was written in the scroll of life from “the founding of the world.”—Lu 11:50, 51; Re 17:8.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/b/r1/lp-e/nwtsty/E/2017/40/25#h=201:0-201:126&s=34&study=discover

Looking forward to getting commentaries to more Bible books and to have this edition accessible via JW LIBRARY later this year.

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures Study Edition (nwtsty) is now available to download in Norwegian.

https://www.jw.org/download/?booknum=0&output=html&pub=nwtsty&fileformat=JWPUB%2CMOBI%2CPDF%2CRTF%2CTXT%2CBRL%2CBES&alllangs=0&langwritten=N&txtCMSLang=N&isBible=1

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Acts has been added to the English Study Bible. Also, you can now listen to some of the study notes. Example, go to John 1:1 and listen to Sahidic Coptic Translation of John 1:1 being read.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Found it. It's online.. Ty

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

At the moment you can only listen to the study notes in the app JW Library, and not the WOL.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 5/31/2018 at 10:44 PM, TonyWenz said:

Ok. I played John 1:1 study notes from the app. Thanks for the heads-up. emoji106.png

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

Good morning - I am so new to this technology.  Please tell me how you listened to the study notes from the app.  Thanks

Just a reminder. Check out the C3 Appendix article Verses Where the Divine Name Does Not Appear as Part of Direct or Indirect Quotations in the Book of Acts. It is very enlightening.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Study edition is now available in Dutch. They released Matthew, Mark and Luke.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk

You will find it very useful, I’m sure.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”