JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Is this cheating? :laugh:

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4559 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Since we don't have a "general discussion" forum yet, I had to post this here :)

Marathon Runner Admits to Taking a Bus to the Finish Line

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/10/12/marathon-runner-admits-to-taking-a-bus-to-the-finish-line/#ixzz1afi4cJvN

Runners, consider this your warning: This is bound to aggravate you.

A man who placed third in the U.K. Kielder Marathon has confessed to taking a bus to the finish line from the 20-mile mark, the Telegraph reports.

Rob Sloan, 31, completed 26.2 miles in 2:51:00, but suspicions surfaced including witnesses reportedly seeing him hide behind trees until the first and second place runners passed him. Sloan initially denied the accusation and claimed his medal. "I'm upset and angry that someone wants to cast these aspersions. It's laughable, is what it is," he said.

Photos Extreme Marathons

When marathon organizers launched an investigation, Sloan quickly changed his tune. Sloan said he grew tired and admitted to taking the bus, which was made available for spectators watching "Britain's most beautiful marathon."

Officials said in a statement, "Rob Sloan of Sunderland Harriers had apparently made the decision to withdraw from the race at approximately 20 miles due to fatigue and after returning to the Leaplish Park area he decided to run the closing section of the course and crossed the finish line in third place."

Sloan may now face expulsion from his running club, Sunderland Harriers, and possibly ban from competing in future marathons. "It's not the kind of advertising we need," club vice president Anne Lillie said. "We'll be discussing Rob's future when the executive committee meets next week."

Organizer of the race and former world record holder Steve Cram noted Sloan's egregious deception. "He was the only runner in the whole of the race who ran the second half quicker than the first half," he said.

:lol1: he very nearly got away with it... wasn't he clever to not come in first or second ???

I have a feeling that the race is ran around the Kielder Dam... a very beautifu part of the world :)

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Thanks for posting this article, Musky. I know I'm off topic right now, but I just wanted to thank you because seeing this article reminded me of the race for life that we are all in, and how important it is that we encourage one another. Some of the things that we go through can be emotionally exhausting, and sometimes all we need is a little encouragement to keep going.

Thanks for posting this article, Musky. I know I'm off topic right now, but I just wanted to thank you because seeing this article reminded me of the race for life that we are all in, and how important it is that we encourage one another. Some of the things that we go through can be emotionally exhausting, and sometimes all we need is a little encouragement to keep going.

Yes may we never want to take the "Bus" :tsk:

Yes may we never want to take the "Bus" :tsk:

I'm surprised he didn't come in last given the fact that buses in England are not noted for

their speed or punctuality.....:perplexed:

Buses are not that bad anymore. They used to be but now in citys they come nearly every 10 minutes. Sundays are not as good for public traveling though. Especially in the countryside.

Now Indian buses they are the craziest. Once I went on a trip that was supposed to be 9 hours and after 2 Flat tyres and a 3 hour stop because the engine went wrong we got there about 5 hours late.

Also another time in india me and my wife were on a full bus going to the weekly market and we got to the top of this hill and waiting at the top of the hill was what seemed to be about 30 children waiting outside a school. I couldn't believe it :eek: when they then all got on what you would normaly call a very full bus here in England. Talk about sardines in a tin can! It was a good job we had got to the top of the hill before they got in as we were struggling to get up the hill without them in the bus. It was an interesting experience.

I thought this news article about the cheating athlete was quite funny though. He would of probably got away with it if his time was not quicker in the second half of the race than it was in the first.;)

• 2 weeks later...

this just reminds me that we will not survive in this race of life through short cuts

Excellent point.>:D<

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.