JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

NHS cyber-attack: GPs and hospitals hit by ransomware

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2524 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39899646

A major incident has been declared after NHS services across England and Scotland were hit by a large-scale cyber-attack.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39901382

A massive ransomware campaign appears to have infected a number of organisations around the world.

Computers in thousands of locations have apparently been locked by a program that demands $300 (£230) in Bitcoin.

There have been reports of infections in as many as 74 countries, including the UK, US, China, Russia, Spain, Italy and Taiwan.

Many security researchers are linking the incidents together.

17 minutes ago, And_Ray said:

Don't.
Click.
Untrusted.
Links.
It's that simple.
No, you did not win 1.000.000€ on lottery.
No, your grandparents did not leave you their fortune.

Sent from my LG-H440n using Tapatalk

This one was scary though. "The unusual bug, in Microsoft anti-malware software such as Windows Defender, could be exploited without the recipient even opening the message."

"Microsoft makes emergency security fix"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39856391

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

This one was scary though. "The unusual bug, in Microsoft anti-malware software such as Windows Defender, could be exploited without the recipient even opening the message."

"Microsoft makes emergency security fix"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39856391

Yeah. Read about that few days ago. But Microsoft fixed it the day it was discovered. So we arrive at lesson #2. Keep all your software up to date :)

6 hours ago, And_Ray said:

Don't.
Click.
Untrusted.
Links.
It's that simple.
No, you did not win 1.000.000€ on lottery.
No, your grandparents did not leave you their fortune.

This one is slightly different to opening an email from the lovely lady in Nigeria who promises to send you money.  

Unlike most other attacks, this malware is spreading primarily by direct infection from machine to machine on local networks, rather than purely by email,” Lance Cottrell, chief scientist at the US technology group Ntrepid.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

One additional way to protect yourself besides virus and malware protection is to buy a separate drive and have your C drive cloned to it and then disconnect it from the computer.  This protects all your installed programs and data from this type of attack as well as a drive dying on you.  All you have to do is unplug the C drive and plug the cloned drive in it's place. (Best done by computer guru as config is necessary) The only thing you lose is what you put on the computer after cloning. It is best to reclone at lease once a year.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Win 10 upgrades happen 2 x a year, so before then I backup my c drive, just in case. Works good for replacing those infected with viruses too.  :pistols:

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

On 5/12/2017 at 9:31 PM, GeordieGirl said:

This one is slightly different to opening an email from the lovely lady in Nigeria who promises to send you money.  

Sooo true.  That one is the Nigeria 419 advance fee fraud/scam. I received many emails, faxes and letters over the years from "Abacha's widow" stating that I have anywhere from 10 to 30 million dollars in an overseas account and all I have to do is send them my bank details so that they can wire the funds to my account! :clown:

Some politician on a BBC news clip insists that British nuclear subs are not using Windows XP. Didn't know whether to laugh or not.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

So....

Is it true that viruses and ransomware are actually created by the virus protection companies and are actually an electronic extortion?

Is it true that the knee-jerk response to a cyber attack is to install a rogue virus protect app without realizing that it opens a back door to all of the data you are trying to protect?

:scared: 

Where's a conspiracy theorist when you need one?...:lol1:

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Another cyber-attack is underway, this time more insidious and on a much larger scale:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/05/18/another-large-scale-cyberattack-underway-experts?cx_cid=newsdaily-edm-2017

We are going to see this on an increasing scale, it simply can't be contained.  When we lose control of computer systems, planes can't fly, traffic lights don't work, hospitals can't function, and we are really stuck.  Gearing up for troubling times - add this one to the pile of "things hard to deal with".

(It's nice we have our JWapp contained on our phones/tablets.  However, if the electricity grid is out, our electrical Bibles will be useless - I've must learn how to use the Bible again :) )  

19 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

(It's nice we have our JWapp contained on our phones/tablets.  However, if the electricity grid is out, our electrical Bibles will be useless - I've must learn how to use the Bible again :) )  

I agree.  When doing personal study I use my hard copy Bible.  I take my hard copies of the NWT, SJJ and GKR book, as well as the hard copy WT for Sunday's meetings.  I've become a stickler for this for the fact that I have attended  congregation meetings where the electricity failed but fortunately the brothers had a back-up plan.  

19 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

But if we have temporary power disruption at the KH we can still read our tablets.  :D

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, Old said:

But if we have temporary power disruption at the KH we can still read our tablets.  :D

16 Likewise, let your light shine before men, so that they may see your fine works and give glory to your Father who is in the heavens.:D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

10 hours ago, SusanE said:

"The NSA and other organizations have handcrafted global networks to fail, and not just fail, but fail spectacularly leaving maximum destruction in their wake....It is my belief that agencies like the NSA are unleashing some of their own exploits to the public on purpose. But what does this accomplish?  For one, it makes the use of false flag attacks more viable. If attacks like Ransomware continue to escalate, the public may in a sense become normalized to them. What if one of these attacks targets major financial elements? Say the large networks of algorithmic computers that dominate stock transactions today come under threat; what would be the result? Most likely complete market disaster. And, almost everyone in the world will believe the culprit was some kind of terrorist hacking group, rather than the establishment itself, which has the most to gain from this brand of catastrophe."

The author's agenda is NSA bashing.  Lets not lose sight of what is actually handcrafted here - satan's web of greed and discord, his system of things, full of all sorts of his machinations.  There isn't any need to go into the deeper things of who and what.  This person's opinion counts for naught.