JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower CD Library Fails to Update

Windows 10 (64), Lenovo Ultrabook 

I have been receiving update notices to apply the Update 3 for Watchtower Library CD. When I try to download and install it, the program displays the error message "multiple programs open, make sure another program is not running". I have checked in task manager and no other Watchtower Library Cd is open. How do I get this update either installed or if it is installed, how do I get this update to stop trying? Thanks, Sam 

Hello Jonathan, thanks for the quick reply. The update starts downloading and finishes, then the pop up window asks if I want to install the update, I choose Yes. Then Windows 10 permission screen asks if I want to allow the program to make changes to the computer, I choose Yes. The program seems to close. The update displays the error message concerning another version running open. Short version, at the install.

Edited by JwSam

Added information

Viola! It updated. Here is what happened:

1) I had two Watchtower Library Cd versions on the computer, a 2015 and a 2016. I used the uninstall command of the 2015 program and it was successfully uninstalled. I tried again to reboot and update the 2016 without success, no joy Finally I deleted the directory and files from the 2015  program(the uninstall did not completely remove the program) and rebooted. Another update attempt, again, no success. 

2) I used the 2016 CD ROM and installed it without uninstalling nor deleting the 2016 Library CD.  The program was installed by going through the prompts on the installer. I attempted to update the program, it downloaded and it continued to install the update. The program closed and reopened, version 18. 7038, Update 3!

Thank you brothers for the help, all of these steps have been useful. Sam

might check your services and processes.... turning off an active service that is running sometimes might do this.

right click your taskbar:  start task manager:  turn off any processes that are watchtower library related.

could also try installing the update with "run as administrator":  just right click the install file and choose "install as administrator"

worst case...........   if you have the right CD  that can be upgraded from the internet....  just unistall reinstall and re patch....

Im really glad that someone started a thread on this.   On half the computers I have installed on, I get this error.  They have ranged from Desktops, laptops, to tablets.  I really believe that reinstalling is only a temporary solution.  I have done this and it seems to last on for like 1 update only.  Hopefully Update 3 fixes the problem because Im positive Update 1 and 2 did not fix the problem.  Desktops to me have seemed a little more stable.  Windows 10 could also have an advantage over 7 and XP.  And I have noticed that on almost all computers that installed from the ZIP that was floating around had this problem.  Like a file was not getting installed from the ZIP.  Also network installs seem to have the problem more on devices like Tablets that have no DVD drives.  Installing from the actual DVD seems to make a little better of install...less noticed update problems.

Surely there are more having Update problems than what is being reported:):)

• 6 months later...

All connection problems and update problems in the watchtower library CD have I resolved on Windows PC this way: First I had to completely uninstall the watchtower library from my PC and all it's components and then to reinstall the application on my hard disc. This fixed the problem with the internet connection. Then you must do the followings: Open first time the Watchtower Library and when asked you if do you prefer the program on start to check for updates automatically then choose no. Or you can select this option manually through the application menus. From the menu at the top, click: Library, then select: Properties, then select: Updates, and unselect the automatic updates. You must first make this settings is described above and then proceed to the next action. Change the settings of the system on your Windows PC, to make the hidden folders to be visible ..then open the following folder, (here is the way to do this): 1) Click the Start button. This button can be found in the lower-left corner of the screen, and may just be a Windows logo. 2) Click the Computer or File Explorer button. In Windows 10, this looks like a folder and can be found on the left side of the menu, or in your Windows task bar at the bottom of the screen. Then Click This PC in the left sidebar (Window 10). Follow this line: WINDOWS (C:)/User/your username/AppData/Roaming/Watchtower/WTLibrary2015/G/WTG/Updates/  and delete all files they existed in this folder if there exists any...Then open the watchtower library app and from the menu on the top open: Help, then click: check for updates... this is all. Problem is resolved.

• 5 months later...
8 minutes ago, esctec said:

stil have this isue

Which version of WTLIB are you using?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Can you borrow a copy of the 2017 DVD (say from a friend or at the Kingdom Hall library)?  That would bypass any problem directly associated with the 2016 disk.  If the 2017 version installs, it will update immediately.  You will know if the problem is associated with your device or the install disk.  This has worked a couple of times for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also having trouble doing update. I only became aware of it when a friend, who does not have internet at home, brought me her Laptop and asked me to help her update, as she prints from  Watchtower Library for her husband to use when preparing for parts.  I tried multiple times, did resets nothing seems to work. 

When I tried to update mine it did the same thing, said that another version of WT Library was open.  but none were open. 

Is there a way to reach Bethel about this? It seems that something must be amiss if this happens to so many over such a long period of time. 

wt cdrom failed to launch.JPG

I'm getting the same error message while trying to install the 1705 update. I get the popup saying to "make sure no other instances of the Watchtower library running" which there is not. But going into the "update log" found at "C:\Users\musky\AppData\Local\Watchtower\wtlibrary\E\WTE\Updates" I get the following log message:

02-06-2018 14-47-56-47M: Platform 2.10, Build 7632
02-06-2018 14-47-56-47M: Started updater thread.
02-06-2018 14-47-59-47M: ERROR: Failed to validate package: Package is not signed by Watchtower: is_from_verified_host() returned false

02-06-2018 14-47-59-47M: Update Failed
02-06-2018 14-47-59-47M: Destroying updater dialog
02-06-2018 14-48-05-48M: Destroying library update manager

Are the others experiencing this problem getting the same message in the update.log file?

That's odd. Is it possible there are different update files available? Mine worked fine.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

A brother posted this in the Meekspace forum:

Friends,
There seems to be an issue with the WT Library DVD update on some devices. The update will download and attempt to install. Then, the installation will fail due to other instances of the program being open. So far, I've seen three devices with this error. The update number is 1705. It may be necessary to wait until this error is sorted out. Our brothers from the branch are on top of it!

So I guess we wait for the branch to sort it out. 

41 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

I had one device update no problems, the other fails.

The WTLIB can create update pkgs now, have you created a pkg on the updated device and tried it on the other device?

I tried to create a pkg to share but it's 2GB..

25 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

The WTLIB can create update pkgs now, have you created a pkg on the updated device and tried it on the other device?

I tried to create a pkg to share but it's 2GB..

I created an updatepkg and it is 2.7GB. so I assume it's the entire WTLIB with all updates..whew...

Let me know if you need it. Otherwise it's pretty simple to create an update for yourself from the WTLIB.

5 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

Thanks, but I already I have one.

If anyone wants, I have a iso of the Watchtower Library complete with the 1705 update.  This one is 3gb, and will install as a new installation, or update the existing.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar64WzzZD9T3yEtyfw6KKP-ZlPQQ

Were you able to update the device that had failed to update?