JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower CD Library Fails to Update

46 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I created an updatepkg and it is 2.7GB. so I assume it's the entire WTLIB with all updates..whew...

Let me know if you need it. Otherwise it's pretty simple to create an update for yourself from the WTLIB.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AusPP2qBpA29gYwXkWZoGKcGrGjVQA

This is the WTLibrary.E.WTE.1705.BUNDLE.UPDATEPKG it was created by WTLIB and is an updatepkg file and not an ISO. I haven't used the file and I don't know what it does, I hope someone finds it useful. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

7 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AusPP2qBpA29gYwXkWZoGKcGrGjVQA

This is the WTLibrary.E.WTE.1705.BUNDLE.UPDATEPKG it was created by WTLIB and is an updatepkg file and not an ISO. I haven't used the file and I don't know what it does, I hope someone finds it useful. 

The 1705 update package is only 319MB, What is in this package that makes it 2.59GB?

I would like to get the 1705 stand alone update package.

Edited by Musky

5 minutes ago, Musky said:

The 1705 update package is only 319MB, What is in this package that makes it 2.59GB?

Don't know. WTLIB created a 2.0GB file, then created a 318MB file then merged them before it was finished. I'm assuming it's the entire WTLIB program...

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I also made the Update Package and offered it - I have no place to upload it to so did not post a link, just the offer to email it since JWTalk does not let me upload a file this large.

Mine is 2,720,387

It seems it is an entire update/install package.

I have not tried it since mine updated just fine

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

3 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Mine is 2,720,387

Mine is 2.59 GB (2,785,675,583 bytes)

I hope size doesn't matter...

30 minutes ago, Musky said:

I would like to get the 1705 stand alone update package.

I tried to apply the pkg that I created and WTLIB says it is already up to date and wont apply the pkg. Now I wonder if you try the pkg if it will just apply the 1705 update portion of the file..

Well, I downloaded Richard's  file and  attempted to use it. I chose "manual update" and pointed it to the package file. It did the same as it did with the "over the air" update and said please wait, but then it gave me the same error message about another instance of the WT Library running.

Two odd things. First, even though Richards file was 2.59GB, it said it was doing the 1705 update only, so I guess it checks what it needs to update and just uses those files. But, like I said, it didn't work.

Second oddity, When I go into my WTL now and tell it to "check for updates" it tells me "there are no updates available." even though it still is only version 1704. It's like something in Richard's package changed the info file that the upgrade process uses to version 1705, even though my version is still 1704.

This is getting kind of fun! :lol:

1 minute ago, Musky said:

Well, I downloaded Richard's  file and  attempted to use it. I chose "manual update" and pointed it to the package file. It did the same as it did with the "over the air" update and said please wait, but then it gave me the same error message about another instance of the WT Library running.

Two odd things. First, even though Richards file was 2.59GB, it said it was doing the 1705 update only, so I guess it checks what it needs to update and just uses those files. But, like I said, it didn't work.

Second oddity, When I go into my WTL now and tell it to "check for updates" it tells me "there are no updates available." even though it still is only version 1704. It's like something in Richard's package changed the info file that the upgrade process uses to version 1705, even though my version is still 1704.

This is getting kind of fun! :lol:

Well, we learn something every day if we aren't careful...

I hope I didn't break anything...

Has anyone tried deleting their JWL and installing it fresh instead of just updating?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

13 minutes ago, Musky said:

Another possibility is that the Branch just pulled the 1705 update and will reload it once they fix the issue? Can someone confirm that it is still available for downloading?

Just now, Qapla said:

Has anyone tried deleting their JWL and installing it fresh instead of just updating?

"JWL" Or WTL?

Since it's been working perfectly up until this update package, I would like to try and figure out what the problem is. I would hate to uninstall it and have to download ALL of the updates that came out since the DVD release, just to have to do it all again with the next update package. 

2 minutes ago, Musky said:

Since it's been working perfectly up until this update package, I would like to try and figure out what the problem is. I would hate to uninstall it and have to download ALL of the updates that came out since the DVD release, just to have to do it all again with the next update package. 

I was hoping to find out if my file would do a full installation. It doesn't bother me to experiment with your PC...😁

3 hours ago, Musky said:

The update I gave you worked on my PC so I don't understand how the root problem would be a corrupt file. OTOH perhaps the current file doesn't work with all systems and they are redoing it..

The update package that you can create will be a large size because its not just the latest update but a complete update package.  It can be used on any version from 2016 onwards to update it the current one.  

As for my device that failed, it wasn't to do with the latest 1705 update.  It was still on 1701, and was failing on installing 1702.  So the fail is not 1705 specific.

Seems that similar information is on the "Updates to Watchtower Library" (Windows only) thread

I too am having the same experience of getting the "No updates available" box after trying the 1705 update several times and failing.

Maybe it was withdrawn because of corruption. I had no problem with any of the other updates. Hopefully will be up again soon.

16 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

Thanks, but I already I have one.

If anyone wants, I have a iso of the Watchtower Library complete with the 1705 update.  This one is 3gb, and will install as a new installation, or update the existing.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar64WzzZD9T3yEtyfw6KKP-ZlPQQ

Thanks I will try this.  I   tried again to update this morning and it said there were no updates. But I don't even have the daily text for 2018 right now, nor any 2018 workbooks.  (I use WTLIB mostly as a back up for deep digging and use the JW Lib app more and more, and quick searches on wol. it will take 2 hrs to download so will let you know how it goes. if it works I will bring it on a stick for the other person I was trying to help to the meeting tonight. 

And thanks for the other info about Brothers at Bethel being on top of it. That is comforting to know. I wish they had the option of email for tech support like the App has

• 3 weeks later...

Had the exact same issue as Musky and NorhternSister. I could install from the DVD (2016) and get the 1702 update to install correctly. The 1705 update failed with the same log file that Musky posted.

Trying the package created by Jonathan77. I will update after I get a chance to install it.

So I installed the package from Jonathan77 and that worked fine (Thanks for the work there Jonathan77).

Got this error

image.png.b4d9761c83003cdc4896ca2f46e9b5b8.png 

only one instance of WT LIbrary running.

trying to apply 1706 update resulted in this log file:

25-06-2018 09-57-54-57M: Platform 2.10, Build 7632
25-06-2018 09-57-54-57M: Started updater thread.
25-06-2018 09-57-59-57M: Extracting the update package: C:\Users\TTEvans\AppData\Local\Watchtower\WTLibrary\E\WTE\Updates\WTLibrary.E.WTE.1706.UPDATEPKG
25-06-2018 09-58-03-58M: Applying the update to your library...
25-06-2018 09-58-03-58M: Moving the publication indexing files...
25-06-2018 09-58-03-58M: Starting indexer
25-06-2018 09-58-03-58M: 09:58:03:450 06/25/2018 Begin: D:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\WATCHTOWER\WATCHTOWER LIBRARY\E\RS_DATA_INDEXING\INDEX.RULES
25-06-2018 09-58-03-58M: 09:58:03:460 Start rule: Build
25-06-2018 09-58-03-58M: 09:58:03:460 Build: wte.BUILD
25-06-2018 09-58-03-58M: 09:58:03:470 Fatal: Initializing: wte.BUILD
25-06-2018 09-58-03-58M: Ure: Processing build file: D:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\WATCHTOWER\WATCHTOWER LIBRARY\E\RS_DATA_INDEXING\WTE.BUILD  Processing info file: D:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\WATCHTOWER\WATCHTOWER LIBRARY\E\RS_DATA_INDEXING\PUBS\BA_E\BA_E.INFO  File was missing.  
25-06-2018 09-58-03-58M: 09:58:03:480 06/25/2018 Ignored: IndexLibrary()
25-06-2018 09-58-03-58M: 09:58:03:480 End rule: Build
25-06-2018 09-58-03-58M: 09:58:03:480 06/25/2018 Done: elapsed 0s30msec
25-06-2018 09-58-03-58M: Finished indexing.
25-06-2018 09-58-03-58M: ERROR: Updating the library failed. No LIDX found!     <=========

25-06-2018 09-58-03-58M: Update Failed
25-06-2018 09-58-03-58M: Deleting d:\Program Files (x86)\Watchtower\Watchtower Library\E\rs_data_indexing
25-06-2018 09-58-04-58M: Deleted
25-06-2018 09-58-04-58M: Destroying updater dialog
25-06-2018 09-58-06-58M: Destroying library update manager

The LIDX error seems to be the issue. Anyone know what that is? Any fixes?

image.png

image.png

I don't know.  The only time I got a failure message was when I had left the previous years version on the hard drive.  I had a copy of 2014 (I think or 2015) and the new DVD would not load until I uninstalled them through the Windows 10 uninstall process.  Every other instance (from 1993 until present has loaded).  I can't offer any explanation other than to use the "file-search" in Windows and see if any remnants of any other version (or part of an installation) exist....😧