JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Newspaper mention of new KH being built

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2456 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Looks like it's going to be a beautiful place of worship. I guess the local friends didn't opt for the newer commercial building designs from JW broadcasting discussion on newer LDC Kingdom Hall projects or there were other considerations. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

32 minutes ago, AH173 said:

Looks like it's going to be a beautiful place of worship. I guess the local friends didn't opt for the newer commercial building designs from JW broadcasting discussion on newer LDC Kingdom Hall projects or there were other considerations. 

My question too. Several years ago the US Branch (The KH in question is in Canada, not US) informed us of a new Kindom Hall design program. All new KHs were going to be built to the same basic design which included flat roofs, aluminumn store front entries and a few other noticable improvements. So far I haven't seen none with a possible exception to one remodeled commercial building next to Interstate 5 in Tacoma Washington.

Any forum members get, or getting one of the new design Kingdom Hall? I know we are reducing the number of KHs needed, but there must be need for a new hall somewhere in the 50 states. Here is the new design and here is the one noted in the OP.

I checked Google Kingdom Hall photos and could only find one that did not look like a CAD model.

number 2.png

number 4.png

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I don't know for sure, but wouldn't flat roofs be inadvisable for areas with a lot of snow? This hall is on Manitoulin Island, about six hours north of Toronto. It has a small English congregation and an Odawa group.

It's the hall in whose territory our friend's cottage is located. We go to the cottage every year, but phone into our own congregation because we have the dogs with us.

23 minutes ago, Sylv said:

but phone into our own congregation because we have the dogs with us.

?????

Your dog's can't listen to the Congregation where you are visiting?

Your dogs do the dialing and only know the one phone number?

Your dogs get homesick and listening to a familiar meeting helps them?

As to the Hall under construction .... looking at this statement in the article "This hall is a standard building and we can make them bigger or smaller depending on the need in the area", it sounds like they are using a "standard design". It could be that flat roofs are not according to the local building code.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

35 minutes ago, Qapla said:

?????

Your dog's can't listen to the Congregation where you are visiting?

Your dogs do the dialing and only know the one phone number?

Your dogs get homesick and listening to a familiar meeting helps them?

As to the Hall under construction .... looking at this statement in the article "This hall is a standard building and we can make them bigger or smaller depending on the need in the area", it sounds like they are using a "standard design". It could be that flat roofs are not according to the local building code.

posted 2 minutes ago by Sylvie : "Phone hookup is not available for that congregation :) . And as it's not our place, we don't leave them alone in the cottage for the four plus hours we would be gone, including travel time."

I too questioned their dogs training.. :( Methinks I should just butt out and let them raise their dogs their own way. 

Does the new hall design program extend outside of the US branch? I need to check, the info is getting old.

Code might be an issue, but unlikely as codes specify the minimum snow load, in the US usually in PSF (pounds per foot), as long as the engineer will stamp it (for a public building)  it will pass code. Cabled roofs are very easy to construct with local materials and shed snow well. Few commercial buildings go with a gabled roofs as the height increases dramatically with the span. 

As far as it's being a 'standard' KH design we have had those in the NW for years. Visiting another hall it is easy to forget you are not at home. These were the 'old standards' for a given area RBC

So we have one of the new pattern  in Hiram Maine, anyone else, in the US or Canadian Branch, getting an older or new design KH?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Actually, it was the wording of the sentence (the structure) that prompted my "tongue-in-cheek" response. I gathered that you didn't want to leave the dogs - but, since I did not know that phone tie-in was not available for the local Congregation, it just sounded to me that you "phoned home" because that is what the dogs wanted :eek:

As for the new KH design, I believe there is one in South Florida (perhaps Ft Lauderdale) . If I remember right, it was one of the first, if not the first one, built with the new design. Some of our local brothers worked on it.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

8 hours ago, Qapla said:

Actually, it was the wording of the sentence (the structure) that prompted my "tongue-in-cheek" response. I gathered that you didn't want to leave the dogs - but, since I did not know that phone tie-in was not available for the local Congregation, it just sounded to me that you "phoned home" because that is what the dogs wanted :eek:

I caught the "tongue-in-cheekiness" of your question :)

As for the training of the dogs, there is no issue leaving them when we're home, but the cottage belongs to a friend. Her cottage, her rules with respect to dogs on the furniture, etc. (at home they have one chair by the window in the office they take turns sitting in, but never go on any other furniture; at the cottage they think all the chairs are by windows, so they must be fair game, and they need to be reminded). I just do not want to leave them unsupervised there, and as we can't bring them into the hall, or leave them in the car, we listen to the meetings by phone. If that means their training is lacking, I am open to suggestions. (By the way, last summer I called them back when they started chasing a bear cub that had wandered out of the woods by the cottage, and they came. That to me is the second most important command they have to obey).

I realize this is off topic, but I wanted to clear up any misunderstandings.

32 minutes ago, Sylv said:

chasing a bear cub

Which is why you are supposed to have dogs on a lease in bear country. Dogs start chasing a cub, but mama usually isn't far away. Mama will chase dogs back to you.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: