JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JWs Featured in Holby City Storyline

In the BBC medical drama series "Holby City" this week (series 19, episode 39) entitled "Keeping The Faith", the storyline mentions a widower and his daughter who are both JWs. The daughter needs an operation that the grandfather (who is a consultant surgeon in the same hospital) insists needs a blood transfusion, whilst the father and his daughter obviously require the operation without blood.

On the whole I feel it portrayed us in a positive light and was quite realistic. I liked how the surgeon consulted not only with the father but with the daughter (by herself) to ask what she really believed and wanted.

The surgeon mentioned something called HAS (Human Albumin Solution). I had never heard of it before so I checked online and as far as I can see, it's a component that comes from the plasma. Here's the official guide that comes with one of these HAS medicines:

http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/PIL.22494.latest.pdf

Attached is the GIF I made of the parts relating to JWs from this episode:

hc19_39jw.gif

It's bigger on the inside!

UNACCEPTABLE                YOUR PERSONAL DECISION
TO CHRISTIANS
WHOLE                                             Choices You
BLOOD                   FRACTIONS                 Need to Make
PLASMA           ALBUMIN—UP TO 4% OF PLASMA
                 A protein extracted from
                 plasma. Types of albumin
                 are found also in plants,
                 in foods such as milk and
                 eggs, and in the milk of
                 a nursing mother. Albumin
                 from blood is sometimes       ․․ I accept albumin
                 used in volume expanders                or
                 to treat shock and severe     ․․ I refuse albumin
                 burns. These preparations
                 may contain up to
                 25 percent albumin. Minute
                 amounts are used in the
                 formulation of many other
                 medicines, including some
                 formulations of
                 erythropoietin (EPO).

For more information on blood fractions and procedures involving the medical use of your own blood, see Our Kingdom Ministry, November 2006 Worksheets.

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

5 hours ago, Dove said:

Brother Stoffer, could you say where you watched this program

At home! ^_^

As Margaret said, it's on BBC One. I watch it on the iPlayer app, although if you're outside the UK you'll need to use a VPN to be able to watch it (smartdnsproxy.com works wonders for me.)

8 hours ago, Stoffer said:

So that HAS medicine leaflet I found is for Albumin 20% so that would be unacceptable, right?

Just read that insert again as from your post it looked like it wasn't acceptable due to the post formatting. The 20% refers to the Albumin NOT the plasma so that's ok: a personal decision. Looks like the Holby City writers did their research this time! Interesting how they didn't have any in stock though and had to order it from another hospital.

At home! 
As Margaret said, it's on BBC One. I watch it on the iPlayer app, although if you're outside the UK you'll need to use a VPN to be able to watch it (smartdnsproxy.com works wonders for me.)

I'm downloading this onto my sky box right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk