JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dr. Who recommendations

I made no claims as to the truth of that supposition. I merely pointed out the difference in M being male or female and the Doctor being male or female.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Just now, Qapla said:

I made no claims as to the truth of that supposition. I merely pointed out the difference in M being male or female and the Doctor being male or female.

I know, but I mean, here we are talking about a supernatural form of regeneration, and people are concerned that it’s a regeneration from male to female.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I'm not concerned at all - I do not watch the show .... Dr Who has not been the same since Tom Baker stopped being the Doctor

Edited by Qapla

1 minute ago, Qapla said:

I'm not concerned at all - I do not watch the show .... Dr Who has not been the same since Tom Baker stopped being the Doctor

I’ve never seen the show, so I just go on what’s written here.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

53 minutes ago, Qapla said:

But the difference in the Bond series and Dr Who is that, while M and Q have been people of both sexes, they were never "the same person". It was clearly indicated that each new M or Q was a different person.

My had canon is that James Bond is also a "title" or position, the same as M or Q.  Each Bond we've seen has been the next person promoted to that position.

Yes, that would seem to be the case. He was a "00" just like "004" - who was killed and the number reassigned.

I've stayed out of this thread thus far because I'm a fan, and the thread seems to be mainly about people explaining why they don't want to watch any more. But I'm going to put my two cents in here.

I don't count a female Doctor as a sex change allegory, any more than I do the previous Thirteen as an example of Plastic Surgery or Identity Theft. Every Doctor has had different features, different hobbies, catchphrases, wardrobe, reactions... It is a different person who takes over from the one before. That's Canon. It's been said point blank in the show: A whole new person with the same name and mission.

Yes, the topic of same sex relationships has come up, but I count that as UK television, more than not. The show depicts characters from the 51st century being pansexual. It also depicts the Church as a private army, lead by a female pope and worshipping a Mainframe. I'm not offended by these factors any more than I am at Chronicles of Narnia depicting Christ as a Lion, or Shrek having a romance between a dragon and a donkey. I can tell which parts to not take seriously.

Doctor Who is unique in the world of sci-fi and superheroes; and the reason why is summed up by the show's current Director/Producer:

7cb425aeff1826ef9bcdcfb602cfb223.jpg

So if the first female Doctor shows up and flirts with everyone, while sneering at their stupidity at the same time, it won't bother me; for the simple reason that this is how it's always been. The Doctor has had exactly three love interests in fifty years. There hasn't been a single sex scene, and the hero has carried a gun twice in ten seasons, without ever shooting anyone. Saucy lines played for laughs is still preferable than most things on TV.

Edited by Thomas Walker

I'm a Doctor Who addict, and have been since I started watching the John Pertwee years when it was airing on PBS here in the states. It was 1983 and I was in the 3rd grade.

I am certainly disappointed with the Doctor regenerating into a female, as it has no valid basis in anything. It seems to me that the canon has been altered to make a statement advocated by the LGBTQ+ agenda, namely, to use a kids show to teach that if you're a boy who wants to be a girl, or vice versa, that's okay. It's borderline offensive just thinking about it.

However, I'm not going to stop watching it. Maybe I'm wrong, and perhaps some of the best episodes of Doctor Who are yet ahead.

I'm quite happy to see Moffatt step down. I feel that he has personally nearly ruined the show, and Chris Chibnall has his work cut out for him to try and save it. 

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

I'm a little leary about the show now that it has become overly tainted with not-so-subtle political/social propaganda.

Most media has now. Movies.. games.. I remember a time where...it was all free of current politics and social agendas.. perhaps they have "inspired certain themes" in media, but usually would be in accordance to "important", "grand" or "universal" subjects shall we say? (Example, life and death, war, meaning of life, morality), the big issues. But now media is nothing but petty social agendas, and really awful ones, fads and pandering to certain groups who are quite frankly insane half the time.

Star Wars for example has a lot of extreme feminist propaganda now, all the new main characters are female (which I'm actually good with, it's a fresh take and I thought it was cool), whilst downplaying male charcters to be all either; useless, fools, failures or evil. And the new female heroes have no decent backstory or character progression, they are just "better than men" just "because", breaking the former lore and continuity of the franchise, and then calling all fans that have an issue with it "misogynists", when in reality, all through the years there have been well loved female characters and leads in all these franchises. Agendas combined with money grabbing is taking over and poisoning art more and more as time goes on.

Edited by EccentricM