JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Discussion Forum

During the rainy afternoons I would like to watch  Dr.Who as I saw some deals in our local JB-HI store (buy 2 get 1 free DVD's)

I am bit puzzled where to start? older ones 1960' or stick with modern episodes? etc.

Which doctor is your favorite? Any recommendations?

Personally, I am "old school" - I would go with the older ones since Tom Baker (Dr. #4) is my favorite Doctor.

My daughters vote for Dr. #10 and/or #11 (David Tennant and Matt Smith)

I'm not watching it anymore, since the current companion was announced to be gay.  They'd promoted it way too much already, but now it was just getting silly. I'd say for anything during Matt Smith's time, the amount of immorality propaganda gradually started to outweigh the amount of script quality!

Regarding the original question though, I think the David Tennant episodes were the best, then the Tom Baker ones.  Before Tom Baker, the episodes were very slow paced, although Jon Pertwee's series with The Master (starting with Terror of the Autons) was good.  I particularly like Tom Baker's series 'The Key to Time', especially, 'The Pirate Planet', in which he several times distracts a guard by throwing a bag of jelly babies past him and then takes his flying car, the second time saying to his friend, "I must stop doing this, it's like shooting fish in a barrel!"

If you like Doctor Who, you may like to read, "The Feeling's Unmutual" by Will Hadcroft, an autobiography by a witness who also talks a lot about liking Doctor Who as a child.  I found it quite relatable to read paragraphs that mentioned excitement over that year's district convention and the year's series of Doctor Who in successive sentences.

9 hours ago, Ferb said:

I'm not watching it anymore, since the current companion was announced to be gay.  They'd promoted it way too much already, but now it was just getting silly. I'd say for anything during Matt Smith's time, the amount of immorality propaganda gradually started to outweigh the amount of script quality!

Thanks David for heads up! 

Very sad indeed when immorality propaganda spoils script quality. 

Satan is pushing hard ..hey?

18 hours ago, Ferb said:

I'm not watching it anymore, since the current companion was announced to be gay. 

For what it's worth, that Companion's just had her exit from the series.

The 'new' episodes aren't a different series, they're a reboot. The original series is still there in the chronology, it's just not needed for newcomers. That was the whole point.

Doctor Who can do things that no other series can do. Some scenes are borderline previews of the New World. This one in particular:

I am so heartbroken with this show!! Someone I know sent me a link to an article about Doctor Who in which the actress that plays Missy in the Capaldi seasons let slip that the new regeneration would be a woman (old news) that would be attracted to other women. As Ferb mentioned, the show's immoral propaganda was starting to get ridiculous, but now it'll be a very integral component of the main character if the report about the new regeneration is true. I really like this show a lot. It'll be sad to let it go.

This being said, I do enjoy the first 9 seasons of the show. Haven't seen the 10th season.

5 hours ago, Qapla said:

The first 9 seasons ..... hmmmmm ..... that would be William Hartnell through not sure - maybe Tom Baker?????

Oh! I meant of the reboot series in 05. Sorry lol veeery long show. From Eccleston up until Capaldi season 9 I have liked them. With some exceptions of course.

My last season I watched was David Tennant. Used to watch as a family, but we never ended up getting into the habit of watching any series since. I started with Christopher Eccleston. A brother I know borrowed us his collection to watch all the old series. (He is a massive fan, his wedding even had a life size Tardis :D).

I enjoy Matt Smith, whilst I have not watched the series, only parts, I enjoy him because it's quite literally like watching myself on t.v :lol:. I personally identity 'very' much with the 11th Doctor, not only in persona, but even in fashion sense. 

On Sunday, July 30, 2017 at 7:25 PM, Monica4 said:

I am so heartbroken with this show!! Someone I know sent me a link to an article about Doctor Who in which the actress that plays Missy in the Capaldi seasons let slip that the new regeneration would be a woman (old news) that would be attracted to other women. As Ferb mentioned, the show's immoral propaganda was starting to get ridiculous, but now it'll be a very integral component of the main character if the report about the new regeneration is true. I really like this show a lot. It'll be sad to let it go.

This being said, I do enjoy the first 9 seasons of the show. Haven't seen the 10th season.

And now they've done the same for the main character. 

Used to love the show, but it's such a shame the BBC are promoting... dare I say on this forum: sex change. 

On 8/3/2017 at 8:51 AM, Old said:

I quit watching Doctor Who just shortly after the Daleks showed up.

Did it get better after that?  :)

Yep...! They made it into Star Wars  :lol1:(with small transformations and micro adjustments..LOL)

R2d2.jpg

Dalek.jpg