JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW.ORG: 1090 languages and growing!

• 2 weeks later...

How many signanguage congregations as are there in the world.

That's amazing progress with sign languages, as apparently there are about 137 sign languages in total, so we are already most of the way to translating for all of them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, JPWRana said:

How many signanguage congregations as are there in the world.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how to find that out, brother.

Edited by Bjern

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember where I read it but based on what I read.  If our organization only produced publications in 100 languages and in 100 languages in particular, certain ones.  They could reach at least 80% of the world's population.

I'm not sure if this is all by a first language or it includes some people that can understand more than one language.  In any case if this is the case, that makes publications in 900 languages even more amazing and it shows how loving and considerate they are.

Edited by JW2017

13 hours ago, 1MKnight said:

Wait... Did I miss something? xD

You sure did. . . . . 

Constructed languages:
According to another source, there may be over 300 constructed languages in total.
Eperanto is by far the most successful of all constructed languages, having close to two million speakers around the world, and now even has a small population of native speakers (children taught Esperanto as one of their first languages by their parents). It is said to be one of the easiest spoken languages to learn, and along with Latin and Koine Greek, is even taught in some Universities (as well as in one primary school in Brazil). The complete Bible has been translated into Esperanto.

Klingon (from Star Trek) is an actual constructed language that has up to 30 speakers. Apparently parts of the Bible have been translated into Klingon too. @Qapla “

16 hours ago, humbleebee said:

Klingon??? Seriously???

wow - live long and prosper!  I am flabbergasted to learn that!  😮

I remember when the Awake mentioned the Klingon language.

*** g95 12/8 p. 8 A Look at Today’s Science Fiction ***
According to Time magazine, Star Trek fans on five continents have devoted themselves to learning the fictitious language Klingon, which was featured in Star Trek TV shows and movies. Such extreme behavior does not harmonize with the Bible’s counsel at 1 Peter 1:13: “Keep your senses completely [“keep balanced,” footnote].”

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

57 minutes ago, humbleebee said:

You sure did. . . . . 

Constructed languages:
According to another source, there may be over 300 constructed languages in total.
Eperanto is by far the most successful of all constructed languages, having close to two million speakers around the world, and now even has a small population of native speakers (children taught Esperanto as one of their first languages by their parents). It is said to be one of the easiest spoken languages to learn, and along with Latin and Koine Greek, is even taught in some Universities (as well as in one primary school in Brazil). The complete Bible has been translated into Esperanto.

Klingon (from Star Trek) is an actual constructed language that has up to 30 speakers. Apparently parts of the Bible have been translated into Klingon too. @Qapla “

Ahh, gotcha. My impression was that one of the JW site languages was Klingon, but I knew that wasn't the case xD

On the topic of Esperanto, I can imagine a slight possibility that they would make some publication(s) into Esperanto. As you said, it does have native speakers, and a Duo Lingo course :) 

10 hours ago, 1MKnight said:

Ahh, gotcha. My impression was that one of the JW site languages was Klingon, but I knew that wasn't the case xD

On the topic of Esperanto, I can imagine a slight possibility that they would make some publication(s) into Esperanto. As you said, it does have native speakers, and a Duo Lingo course :) 

I don't think there would be a need for an Esperanto translation, as all native speakers are native of at least two languages, so native speaking Esperantists would be just as comfortable reading in and listening to their other native language(s) ~ and there really isn't that many who can really be called "native" Esperantists, as the majority of Esperantists learnt it as an additional language. On the plus side however, Esperanto would be comparatively very easy to translate for.

An interesting fact about Esperanto: Esperantists were among the many victims of the holocaust during Nazi occupied Europe, as it was considered a suspicious language.

On 5/11/2018 at 5:36 AM, humbleebee said:

It is said to be one of the easiest spoken languages to learn, and along with Latin and Koine Greek

I missed this when reading through the first time. Koine Greek is easy to learn??? I've honestly, many times thought about studying it, but it always sounded daunting. (Also was never sure if it would be a good use of time) But it is interesting to know that it's comparatively easy.

(What's funny is that literally 5 min ago I was holding my Kingdom Interlinear going through the alphabet trying to figure out how to transliterate my name xD haha)

17 hours ago, 1MKnight said:

I missed this when reading through the first time. Koine Greek is easy to learn??? I've honestly, many times thought about studying it, but it always sounded daunting. (Also was never sure if it would be a good use of time) But it is interesting to know that it's comparatively easy.

As far as I know ancient languages are very hard to learn. Every language is getting simpler and simpler. Ancient English was much more complicated than modern one.

I was studing Latin. I wouldn't say it was easy( except spelling but maybe it's because we don't know how they really pronounced words).

On 5/13/2018 at 1:59 AM, 1MKnight said:

(What's funny is that literally 5 min ago I was holding my Kingdom Interlinear going through the alphabet trying to figure out how to transliterate my name xD haha)

Sorry brother, I may not have posted it clear enough in the OP, but I actually meant that Esperanto, Latin and Koine Greek are all taught in some Universities, and not that they are each also easy to learn. As sister Victoria pointed out, ancient languages are often very hard to learn. Specifically Esperanto alone is especially easy to learn.

Here is the full sentence regarding that from the OP:

On 7/11/2017 at 8:36 AM, Bjern said:

It is said to be one of the easiest spoken languages to learn, and along with Latin and Koine Greek, is even taught in some Universities (as well as in one primary school in Brazil).

On 5/12/2018 at 5:15 PM, humblebumblebee said:

Languages spoken in Sierra Leone: Kono and Limba (West-Central)

content: Listen to God brochure.

On 5/12/2018 at 5:20 PM, Guri said:

Another 50 and will be 1000! :) 

This is such an awesome achievement! Jehovah truly is speeding up the work...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Dages changed the title to JW.ORG: 1090 languages and growing!