JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Discussion Forum

4 hours ago, Chris7 said:

If you insist, then it better be theocratic chocolate....with 1000 varieties.♥️

8D1B381C-DB5F-40CE-BF77-475686FF2C82.jpeg

LOL! Looks delicious. I was messing with brother Glenn. He’s always talking about how much he loves chocolate.

15 hours ago, Patrick Starfish said:

974 languages 

Amazing!  At this rate we’ll reach 1000 before the next memorial on Friday, April 19, 2019. Imagine if we could be inviting people in 1000 different languages. What a shout of praise to Jehovah!

4 minutes ago, Chris7 said:

Amazing!  At this rate we’ll reach 1000 before the next memorial on Friday, April 19, 2019. Imagine if we could be inviting people in 1000 different languages. What a shout of praise to Jehovah!

Yes, it would be great indeed. But what is this 19 and 19 there? I mean: 

April 19, 2019.

I'm only kidding :) 

On 9/28/2018 at 8:15 AM, Chris7 said:

Thanks Ben, so thats 23 more to reach 1000 😁

My apologies, (thank's Sebastian) that's 22 more to reach 1000,  can we add 7 for October, 7 for November and 8 for December = 1000 this calendar year. 

Edited by Chris7

I wonder.. if we manage to cover every single language in the world spoken... or at least to the degree that all people on earth can access the truth (as many peoples are bi-lingual)...

Matthew 24:14 - "..... then the end will come"

There 7,099 distinct languages spoken around the world according to the 2017 Ethnologue language database.

https://www.linguisticsociety.org/content/how-many-languages-are-there-world

Some of these will be languages that are rare, and are considered secondary-languages in these socities as it were (example, Gaelic) and such individuals perhaps can speak other languages too (typically a main language in each part of the world, for example, most if not all Gaelic speakers also speak English), in that the languages we cover in this short time frame of the last days will be enough to reach them all.

Edited by EccentricM

45 minutes ago, EccentricM said:

I wonder.. if we manage to cover every single language in the world spoken... or at least to the degree that all people on earth can access the truth (as many peoples are bi-lingual)...

https://www.linguisticsociety.org/content/how-many-languages-are-there-world

Some of these will be languages that are rare, and are considered secondary-languages in these socities as it were (example, Gaelic) and such individuals perhaps can speak other languages too (typically a main language in each part of the world, for example, most if not all Gaelic speakers also speak English), in that the languages we cover in this short time frame of the last days will be enough to reach them all.

We may be still a long way off from reaching the full seven thousand, however I do think you have a very good point that we likely still cover nearly everyone already, counting learnt languages, and perhaps similar dialects as well (try reading JW.org in Liberian English, for instance). There's also the fact that many languages are dying off, with just a handful or only one speaker left, which means that by the time we get even close to reaching the seven thousand mark (assuming we ever get that far in this system), lots of languages will have already vanished completely with no more speakers left. Bear in mind as well that the seven thousand includes constructed languages that are not theocratically important (e.g. Klingon).

4 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Didn't Paul say we were already done?

“. . .hope of that good news that you heard and that was preached in all creation under heaven.. . .” Colossians 1:23

:lol1:

Our understanding is that Jehovah has already determined His day in advance, so it's possible He may orchestrate our activity to match His timeline, or He may not. We don't know. All we know is that He told us to keep working until He tells us to stop. It will be very interesting to look back and see how close we were to covering every language when He stops the work.. 

Edited by Tortuga

Anyone with an iPad running iOS 12 interested in a Shortcut script I’ve written to display the languages on all 3 JW websites?

I spent the last couple days writing this and hope it’s bug-proof. Let me know.

JW Website Languages.shortcut

JW-languages.jpg.1c44f97f58d433267bd7503e24212a9e.jpg

ipad-frame.jpg.21e814dbae93402452f6286c9a726957.jpg

Edited by digital_dreamer

581 languages on WOL with the new one being Romany (Bulgaria).

JWB was bumped up, too.

Yeah, I don’t find many of the provided scripts very useful at all. Very basic.

And, now with the news that the websites are to be consolidated and refined, this script will fail at some point and need rework.

This consolidation and simplification is great news. I find a number of the friends get the online sites confused, even with the app. I may mention that the monthly broadcast is out on JWB and they say, “No it isn’t. I looked.” But, they are referring to the app.

Can’t wait for all the updates!

On 10/11/2018 at 7:42 PM, Sheep said:

...and here we are three hours later...

Now it's 982!

At this rate we'll be over a thousand by late tonight.

Only 18 to go to reach a 1000.    

Looks likely to reach that number before we see the AGM broadcast, if im wrong “a thousand apologies”😂