JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW.ORG: 1090 languages and growing!

New update on Shortcut script. It will now build a list and match the WOL and JWB info with jw.org.

This was lots of work! The foreign language Unicode characters on WOL created a lot of issues, and had to be stripped out and replaced, so the script could do the job efficiently. There were 2 languages on WOL that have accent marks that don’t match jw.org, so they have to be corrected to match. There are also 15 languages that have non-Latin or non-Unicode numerals in the WOL Publications year ranges, so they have to be translated appropriately so you can read them in the normal Basic Latin digits. These digits were sometimes surrounded by full-width parentheses (Unicode), so they had to be accounted for. Lots of fun and learning, however. 😃

See sample: JW Languages List.html

Shortcut: JW Website Languages v2.shortcut

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

New update on Shortcut script. It will now build a list and match the WOL and JWB info with jw.org.

This was lots of work! The foreign language Unicode characters on WOL created a lot of issues, and had to be stripped out and replaced, so the script could do the job efficiently. There were 2 languages on WOL that have accent marks that don’t match jw.org, so they have to be corrected to match. There are also 15 languages that have non-Latin or non-Unicode numerals in the WOL Publications year ranges, so they have to be translated appropriately so you can read them in the normal Basic Latin digits. These digits were sometimes surrounded by full-width parentheses (Unicode), so they had to be accounted for. Lots of fun and learning, however. 

Were you speaking English? 'Cause I was confused.... But that is probably me!

(Great Job. Too bad I don't have an iPhone)

Older {waiting for wiser}

982 Languages is incredible.

Without looking at the dropdown list, how many languages can you name? If you could name 50, that would be amazing. I don't think I could name more than say 10-15. Quite a feat. Oh, it always amazes me, to see how Jehovah is directing his organization and the things that are being accomplished.

Does it not build your faith in our amazing creator, Loving Heavenly Father and Friend Jehovah?

Edited by Gary910

Grammatical correction

30 minutes ago, Gary910 said:

982 Languages is incredible.

Without looking at the dropdown list, how many languages can you name? If you could name 50, that would be amazing. I don't think I could name more than say 10-15. Quite a feat. Oh, it always amazes me, to see how Jehovah is directing his organization and the things that are being accomplished.

Does it not build your faith in our amazing creator, Loving Heavenly Father and Friend Jehovah?

You might enjoy these language knowledge tests then...

https://www.sporcle.com/games/the_underground/maps_too_small_for_klingon

https://www.sporcle.com/games/MathijsP/langeurope

The second one is harder. I could only get 32/39 right, and couldn't remember the rest.

5 hours ago, Bjern said:

I could only get 32/39 right, and couldn't remember the rest.

Well, you did quite well, Ben.  I only got 29/39.  Some were quite obsure, but there you go, learn something new every day!

It told me: If your score were weather, it would be fifty degrees and partly cloudy. 🤣

3 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Well, you did quite well, Ben.  I only got 29/39.  Some were quite obsure, but there you go, learn something new every day!

It told me: If your score were weather, it would be fifty degrees and partly cloudy. 🤣

It gives you a weather score too? I didn't see that, lol...Though 50 degrees and cloudy sounds very humid. 😅

This was lots of work! The foreign language Unicode characters on WOL created a lot of issues, and had to be stripped out and replaced, so the script could do the job efficiently. There were 2 languages on WOL that have accent marks that don’t match jw.org, so they have to be corrected to match. There are also 15 languages that have non-Latin or non-Unicode numerals in the WOL Publications year ranges, so they have to be translated appropriately so you can read them in the normal Basic Latin digits. These digits were sometimes surrounded by full-width parentheses (Unicode), so they had to be accounted for. Lots of fun and learning, however. 

This is amazing work.

Can the script also add the date of when that language first appeared?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

On 10/14/2018 at 5:57 AM, digital_dreamer said:

This was lots of work! The foreign language Unicode characters on WOL created a lot of issues, and had to be stripped out and replaced, so the script could do the job efficiently. There were 2 languages on WOL that have accent marks that don’t match jw.org, so they have to be corrected to match. There are also 15 languages that have non-Latin or non-Unicode numerals in the WOL Publications year ranges, so they have to be translated appropriately so you can read them in the normal Basic Latin digits. These digits were sometimes surrounded by full-width parentheses (Unicode), so they had to be accounted for. Lots of fun and learning, however. 😃

Shortcuts crashes when trying to create the list. After showing Please Wait ... for about 2 seconds in the notification.

(iOS 12.0.1, IPad Pro 9.7)

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

5 hours ago, JPWRana said:

This is amazing work.

Can the script also add the date of when that language first appeared?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

None of that info is embedded into the website, so I’m not able to extract it. Plus, I haven’t kept track of when they were introduced.

Now, if someone has that info already tabulated or recorded somewhere, I could incorporate that data as part of the chart.

4 hours ago, ChrisC said:

Shortcuts crashes when trying to create the list. After showing Please Wait ... for about 2 seconds in the notification.

(iOS 12.0.1, IPad Pro 9.7)

Yeah, the brothers just made some changes to the WOL site that affects how the script parses the languages. How dare they! 😜

Fixed update here: JW Website Languages v2.shortcut

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

• 3 weeks later...

JW.ORG: 984   S:96

WOL:       583   S:76

JWB:       269   S:38

Shortcut is updated to v2.1: JW Website Languages v2.1.shortcut

The addition of the Central African Republic Sign Language, which is 38 characters long, created problems with the text padding/alignment routine, as I only accounted for a maximum of 32 characters. Previously, the Chinese Cantonese (Simplified) language was the longest at 31 characters.

Now, the script is more flexible, as it looks for the longest language name and adjusts the column width based on that, with a maximum width of 50 characters. The widths of other columns (WOL and JWB) are also dynamically adjusted and aligned based on their character counts as well.

New update: JW Website Languages v2.2.shortcut

Fixed bug where it didn’t notice there was only a single new language announcement on WOL. The brothers are thorough and clever enough to display “New language available” when there is one language to announce, instead of “New languages available.” Script only looked for “New languages available.”

Sample for those unable to use shortcut: JW Languages List.html

Edited by digital_dreamer

18 minutes ago, Sepie93 said:

985 languages.

Newest one: Chedungun (Coast)

Just 15 to go for a 1000emoji16.png

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk

"Chedungun"  the language of the Indigenous Mapuche people in Chile, an endangered language.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

On 11/4/2018 at 3:45 AM, digital_dreamer said:

New update: JW Website Languages v2.2.shortcut

Fixed bug where it didn’t notice there was only a single new language announcement on WOL. The brothers are thorough and clever enough to display “New language available” when there is one language to announce, instead of “New languages available.” Script only looked for “New languages available.”

Sample for those unable to use shortcut: JW Languages List.html

Getting this on v.2.2

25384DBE-8017-4E9B-8F28-326E40A6A7A9.jpeg.dbf9c637c45a2605c3cb767fd7bfe866.jpeg

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Next let's try to categorize all 1000 languages into language families

English and Non-English....

Done!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

56 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Here's the Indo-European ones. Which ones have I missed?

IMG_0054.thumb.JPG.f58a2d6322dc4fcc053a448259523733.JPG

I believe Persian is an Indo-European language

I'd love to see a list of indigenous languages (native American, Hawaiian, other tribal languages).  It's "Indigenous Language" Month and I have some calls that are interested in these

Edited by Hope

On 11/7/2018 at 5:21 PM, ChrisC said:

Getting this on v.2.2

25384DBE-8017-4E9B-8F28-326E40A6A7A9.jpeg.dbf9c637c45a2605c3cb767fd7bfe866.jpeg

Yes. This is an interesting development that I did not expect to occur, but set up the script to trap it anyway, just in case. What’s occurring now is that the Serbian language has been released for WOL and JWB, while not having a presence on jw.org! Very unusual situation.

The following Serbian dialects, including sign language are part of jw.org:

Serbian (Cyrillic)
Serbian (Roman)
Serbian Sign Language

But, “plain” Serbian is now available on WOL: Serbian: Публикације на српском језику (1979-2018) and JWB.

Just not on jw.org.

I’d like to include the new release in the list, but it’s going to take a bit more work, as I used the jw.org Languages as the reference to search from.

Just a FYI: I take each language from jw.org and check to see if it’s also present on WOL and/or JWB. When I find a match, I remove that language from the WOL and/or JWB list. At the end of the entire search, if any languages are left on the WOL or JWB list, that means they weren’t on jw.org. Didn’t really expect that to ever happen, but it’s always good to have those checks in there.

Edited by digital_dreamer

• Dages changed the title to JW.ORG: 1090 languages and growing!