JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Recommend me a Book

Hello!
Recently I got interested in starting a Book, but I don't know what Book I should read. As a Jehovah's Witness, it's hard enough to find an appropriate and a good book I guess.
I was thinking the book:  The girl on the train, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate or not. I searched for reviews for the movie and I am not really sure about it.
Do you have any good recommendations? (Recommend me any type of book, but appropriate of course and good).

12 hours ago, Kristian said:

Recently I got interested in starting a Book, but I don't know what Book I should read. As a Jehovah's Witness, it's hard enough to find an appropriate and a good book I guess.
I was thinking the book:  The girl on the train, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate or not. I searched for reviews for the movie and I am not really sure about it.
Do you have any good recommendations? (Recommend me any type of book, but appropriate of course and good).

Kristian, I read "The girl on the train" and didn't like it at all. The main character is an alcoholic girl and I found her disgusting. I could never identify with her because of the strange way she thought and reacted. The mystery is quite foreseeable. And unpleasant.

If you want to try something different, I recommend you "Critical Times" by E.K. Jonathan. It's about a police investigation that unveils political corruption and a lot more. What happens afterwards is a complete surprise. :)

http://criticaltimesnovel.blogspot.com/

I love classic literary fiction. I find that it tends to be much more wholesome. Of course there are exceptions to that, so it's good to always be cautious. That would include authors such as Jane Austen, Emily and Charlotte Brontë, Jules Verne, Charles Dickens.. to name a few of the most popular ones.

1 hour ago, Monica4 said:

I love classic literary fiction. I find that it tends to be much more wholesome. Of course there are exceptions to that, so it's good to always be cautious. That would include authors such as Jane Austen, Emily and Charlotte Brontë, Jules Verne, Charles Dickens.. to name a few of the most popular ones.

Have you read Wilkie Collins? I read "The Woman in White" and "The Moonstone" when I was a teenager and loved both. I loved the extremely well-mannered dialogues. I wonder if people at the time really spoke that way or that's just an idealization. And the apparently unsolvable mysteries finally solved. The love-story in "The Woman in White" was rather silly, but it was necessary as a setting for the mystery.

This isn't fictional entertainment, but if you'd like more insight into the our struggle for freedom to preach publicly and from house to house in the U.S., I highly recommend this book. It goes along with what we're studying currently in the 'God's Kingdom' book.

Armed With the Constitution

"In 1995, Merlin Owen Newton wrote Armed With the Constitution, a book that documents the role of Jehovah’s Witnesses in clarifying the application of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. At the time, Mrs. Newton was associate professor of history and political science at Huntingdon College in Montgomery, Alabama. Her thoroughly researched and well-documented book reviews two Alabama court cases that were carried all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court."

"One of these Supreme Court cases involved Grace Marsh, whose first-person story appears in the accompanying article. The other case, Jones v. City of Opelika, dealt with the right to disseminate religious beliefs through distribution of literature. Rosco and Thelma Jones, a black married couple, were full-time ministers of Jehovah’s Witnesses."

"In preparing her book, Professor Newton used contemporary periodicals and legal journals, Witnesses’ memoirs and letters, interviews with and material published by the Witnesses themselves, and scholarly studies of Witness activities. The fascinating details and personal reflections provided by the defendants, attorneys, and judges in Armed With the Constitution have brought a piece of Jehovah’s Witnesses’ legal history to life." ---g98 4/22

Edited by minister159

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

On 7/31/2017 at 1:01 AM, carlos said:

Have you read Wilkie Collins? I read "The Woman in White" and "The Moonstone" when I was a teenager and loved both. I loved the extremely well-mannered dialogues. I wonder if people at the time really spoke that way or that's just an idealization. And the apparently unsolvable mysteries finally solved. The love-story in "The Woman in White" was rather silly, but it was necessary as a setting for the mystery.

I haven't read it but it's now added to my queue lol. I'll look into them thank you

• 5 months later...

I made my wife sick because I kept telling her about these surprising things that I read! Not stories as we think of them. The author is Malcom Gladwell and he has written several books that present facts and viewpoints that challange "conventional wisdom" about a number of things. I've read "The Tipping Point", "Blink" and "Outliers". His presentations are counterintuitive. I think I liked Blink best.

Please give Clive Cussler a chance, he is an author I have loved for many years. He's a marine archeologist and writes fiction based on his discoveries. He also has a non-fiction book about his archeological digs. And to his credit he has a movie titled Sahara, with  Matthew McConaughey , I've seen this movie many times and still love it.

Like Carlos said, I also love E.K. Johnathan as well, I have several of his novels. 

JA Jance is another I like.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34