JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Samsung Galaxy 8

I was looking around at different things on the Internet last night while I was halfway watching TV. A commercial came on the TV for the Galaxy 8 cell phone so I looked it up - just curious as to what it cost and whatnot.

I went to the Samsung site and discovered that they offer the Galaxy 8 and 8+ "factory unlocked" from Samsung. They say that, since it is factory unlocked, it does not include much of the "bloatware" apps that the carriers like to install that you can't uninstall (without altering the phone).

They offer it on a two year payment deal.

I don't know if they have done this on any of their other phones but I found it interesting that a manufacturer of phones would offer them "factory unlocked" in the US.

My oldest daughter has the Galaxy 7 Edge and my wife have the Galaxy 7 - does anyone have the Galaxy 8?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

While the bloatware can be disabled (turned off), which will sometimes also delete the "updates", those apps are still using memory since the app itself is still loaded on the phone. It would be nice if you could delete the "factory" apps like you do ones you put on yourself WITHOUT having to root the phone.

On 8/12/2017 at 7:36 AM, Intercore said:

Although you can't uninstall it but you can disable it.

There are several ways to remove bloatware. Not for the faint of heart or someone under contract with a carrier locked phone.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

1 minute ago, pnutts said:

There are several ways to remove bloatware. Not for the faint of heart or someone under contract with a carrier locked phone.

That's kinda the point ... There is no real reason it should be so difficult to do. You should be able to simply delete the apps you don't want

Plus, all phones should come unlocked

That may be, pnutts, but I live in the US - a bit too far from the Canada border to pop over and pick up a unlocked phone.

6 hours ago, Qapla said:

That's kinda the point ... There is no real reason it should be so difficult to do. You should be able to simply delete the apps you don't want

Plus, all phones should come unlocked

Yeah, practically the first thing I did with my new tablet (3yrs ago) was try to de junk it. I don't like having all that bloatware on my tablet or phone.  Even if they were the best at what they attempt  (they're not ), I still object to paying for something and being told how to use it. 

(that statement sounds funny,  I know what I mean but it didn't come out of my fingers correctly )

1 hour ago, tekmantwo said:

(that statement sounds funny,  I know what I mean but it didn't come out of my fingers correctly )

I think I get what you are saying ....

• When I buy drinking glasses, I don't expect them to already be half-full 
  • When I get a new car, I don't expect the trunk to be full of someone else's stuff - especially to be told I can't take thier stuff out
  • When I pay for a meal in a restaurant, I don't expect to get things I didn't order and don't want to eat on the plate while they serve me a smaller portion of what I did want.

The thing is, they advertise their tablet/phone with xx amount of memory but already have a significant portion of that memory used by apps/software you can't remove - so, in reality, the device does not really have the memory available to the end user they claim it has. The physical memory may exist on the device, but it is not useable by the end user.

5 hours ago, Qapla said:

I think I get what you are saying ....

• When I buy drinking glasses, I don't expect them to already be half-full 
  • When I get a new car, I don't expect the trunk to be full of someone else's stuff - especially to be told I can't take thier stuff out
  • When I pay for a meal in a restaurant, I don't expect to get things I didn't order and don't want to eat on the plate while they serve me a smaller portion of what I did want.

The thing is, they advertise their tablet/phone with xx amount of memory but already have a significant portion of that memory used by apps/software you can't remove - so, in reality, the device does not really have the memory available to the end user they claim it has. The physical memory may exist on the device, but it is not useable by the end user.

^

^

^

Yeah, like that>>>>>>>

18 hours ago, Qapla said:

That may be, pnutts, but I live in the US - a bit too far from the Canada border to pop over and pick up a unlocked phone.

I thought some companies would give you the unlock info for free in the US. I thought one may have been Verizon. Ask and find out.

If your phone is out of contract ( not talking about talk/text/data plan ) but one where  buy out of phone is $0 then many can be unlocked &/or rooted then newer OS such as nougat with few apps put on.

I did this to my Samsung S4 model i337M. Running Nougat with micro gapps. My wife's A5   model A500W Canada we have to wait until Dec 1/17 - haven't found a Cdn unlocker program yet for A5.

I have a Samsung S4 that was originally on ATT and is now on Cricket (currently owned by ATT) that is locked. I have not found a free way to unlock it

I am right at the memory threshold and would like to delete the factory apps I don't need/want. However, I do NOT want to have to root the phone to accomplish this - don't want to chance bricking it, especially since I already pushing the memory limits.

Edited by Qapla

50 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I have a Samsung S4

Which model of S4? There are 2 main branches that unlock program and root programs have to be for that series of model.

Try these links and investigate for your model.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sitesearch.php?q=samsung i337m

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I can't root this phone. The USB port on the bottom of the phone does not work properly, so I cannot connect it to a PC for DATA connection

I had to add the "wireless charger" addon to the phone to be able to continue to keep it charged.

Seems the USB problem is "common" for these phones :(

Unlocking a phone is simply so it will work on another providers network.

Removal of bloatware is independent of this not all bloatware can be disabled.

Giving Root access to a phone allows you to do more to your phone. This may invalidate your warranty and comes with a risk you may make your phone unusable.

I have an unlocked Verizon Galaxy S5, with an AT&T sim card. Phone works well, but all the Verizon bloat hangs on. It is far in excess of old AT&T bloat.

When I unlock the screen I get a full-screen red Verizon notice. I have to click off, then I get a "No Verizon SIM card found", once I pass that I have access to a very good/serviceable phone with a long battery life. For $129, new in the box it is a good buy. I am amazed that it fits in my pocket with all that bloat.

Edited by Old

Duh

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, RichardPNZ said:

Unlocking a phone is simply so it will work on another providers network.

Removal of bloatware is independent of this not all bloatware can be disabled.

Giving Root access to a phone allows you to do more to your phone. This may invalidate your warranty and comes with a risk you may make your phone unusable.

This is true .... but that is why I want a phone to be unlocked - so I can choose the carrier. And, a phone that comes unlocked directly from Samsing should not have carrier bloatware on it.

The point is, it should not be necessary to root a phone to be able to do these things - they should come that way