JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Chicken wing prices flying high

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2424 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Don't get me wrong .... I actually like wings.

That said, what really gets me is the way they are sold. A chicken wing has three parts. But, when they sell them, they cut the tip off and discard it. Then, they cut the other two parts at the joins and call each one a "wing".

I don't mind them getting rid of the tip - the only thing the tip is any good for is making broths. The rest, they have you pay for "12 wings" when they are actually only serving you  "6 wings"

As a side point, one of the "National Chains" for wings is "Wing Zone". My oldest daughter had, for an elementary school teacher, the wife of one of the co-founders of Wing Zone.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

9 hours ago, bobby said:

Brother Bobby, thanks very much for the link, that is an interesting article.  

We all appreciate the love that you have for us, that you are willing to share this with us...

Thank you. ..:grouphug:

9 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

I can get a 6 pack of chicken wings for $3.05 at Aldi's.  If you wait till after lunch there are none left. 

I didn't know you had Aldi's in America. We have them here too, and they're one of my wife's favorites. :)

20 hours ago, Qapla said:

Don't get me wrong .... I actually like wings.

That said, what really gets me is the way they are sold. A chicken wing has three parts. But, when they sell them, they cut the tip off and discard it. Then, they cut the other two parts at the joins and call each one a "wing".

I don't mind them getting rid of the tip - the only thing the tip is any good for is making broths. The rest, they have you pay for "12 wings" when they are actually only serving you  "6 wings"

As a side point, one of the "National Chains" for wings is "Wing Zone". My oldest daughter had, for an elementary school teacher, the wife of one of the co-founders of Wing Zone.

Yes! I've noticed that mc donalds have chicken wings and you get 1/2 of what I consider a chicken wing when asking for one! (1/3 going by what you said). I don't get that either. Here in NZ private shops still sell chicken wings with both pieces still attached it's only American based Franchises that sell them the other way.

Another example of us being ripped off again. The younger generation don't probably even realise how a chicken wing is formed on a chicken. A girl in the supermarket some time ago asked me if what I had in my trolley was lettuce or a cabbage when weighing my produce. 

Matt from Australian Masterchef, cooks his wings in the oven in coke. Apparently it's really lovely the way he does it ... doesn't sound that healthy though ay?

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

9 hours ago, carlos said:

I didn't know you had Aldi's in America. We have them here too, and they're one of my wife's favorites. :)

Yes, Br. Carlos, they started to pop up in the US over a period of time.  They are so popular now, that they recently built one not more then 15 minutes from my home.   I like going there and purchasing fruits and veggies, the prices are better then WalMarts and some things are fresher.  I love getting my "Chicken Wings" there because a package of them only cost $3.05 or less.  Some may have 6 to 8 wings in them, the packages that have more, cost more  like around $3.30.  Beats the regular stores around me because chickens wings sold in their freezers can run from  $10.00 up to $17.00 a package.  That is way to expensive for my budget.   I like my wings barbered dipped in  blue cheese sauce, roasted with garlic in the oven, and or fried.  Mostly I like baked chicken, less grease.  Tell your wife that I love Aldi's and they have some pretty good products.