JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Charlottesville, Virginia....

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2424 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

First I hope it'sappropriate to put this here. If not, well you know...

The situation in Charlottesville, Virginia is terrible to put it mildly.

Yet one thing stands out in my mind about it and that is this shows that all of us, including Charlottesville, Virginia inhabitants, is that we're all made in Jehovah's image.

Now wait, before y'all go "what's Luezette talking about?" please let me explain.

We're made in God's image in the sense that we have his attributes of love, justice, power, and wisdom right? Right.

Sooo, the fact that both sides in Charlottesville, Virginia are clashing shows they too want peace, justice, and love. Oh yes, they're definitely going about it the wrong way, yet wanting  it still shows they're made in Jehovah's image of justice. No, even if they go about it the right way (waiting on Jehovah), won't make it come quicker, but they'll be peaceable with each other in the meantime. 

Of course the fact that both sides are practically killing each other shows who their god really is, therefore who's really the cause.

Anyway, the friends down there got their work cut out for them. I imagine many Bible studies will be started once the smoke clears.

Edited by Luezette

I had to Google this to even know what you were talking about - I had not heard anything about this. Next time, you may want to give a little explanation in your initial post as to what is being talked about instead of just assuming the rest of us know what is being discussed.

Yes, they are going about it the wrong way. I would guess that the friends in that area have had to readjust their methods of preaching the Good News for the time being.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Oops! You're right, I should have included an explanation. :wall:

And as far as the friends having to readjust their preaching, well you're right again, because going about it the way they're accustomed might be a little dangerous what with the citizens actions, especially with the man deliberately driving into the crowd. (Opps! Yes, a man deliberately drove into the crowd, killed a woman. He was arrested). 

But preach they must so they will. 

Yes, the kingdom is the only hope. 

Edited by Luezette

10 hours ago, Luezette said:

First I hope it'sappropriate to put this here.

Just be sure to share a link to the news item so we can all be up to speed on what is being discussed. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/13/us/charlottesville-virginia-overview.amp.html

Charlottesville white nationalist rally: What we know

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/13/us/charlottesville-white-nationalist-rally-car-crash/index.html

19 hours ago, Luezette said:

First I hope it'sappropriate to put this here. If not, well you know...

The situation in Charlottesville, Virginia is terrible to put it mildly.

Yes...this is a hot topic in the metro area...been watching since yesterday and the talk shows are heated up!!!

I find it crazy how the white supremacist who plowed into the crowd ended up killing a white woman as well as injuring other white people. It's bad that anybody died or got injured but I find that ironic.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

While these groups are indeed racist, their primary motivation is to exterminate all who promote "liberalism" and "communism", regardless of their race.

I will not quote or link to hate-speech here, but most of the public reactions from hate groups regarding this murder is nothing but praise for killing a "liberal". She might have been white, but these people viewed her as a traitor to her race.

5 hours ago, Stavro said:

While these groups are indeed racist, their primary motivation is to exterminate all who promote "liberalism" and "communism", regardless of their race.

I will not quote or link to hate-speech here, but most of the public reactions from hate groups regarding this murder is nothing but praise for killing a "liberal". She might have been white, but these people viewed her as a traitor to her race.

True. I thought about that too. I wonder how they at least feel about the two white officers who died in the helicopter crash trying to respond to the incident. 

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

7 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

True. I thought about that too. I wonder how they at least feel about the two white officers who died in the helicopter crash trying to respond to the incident. 

Unless the police officer were white racist, they probably don't care. Life is cheap for these groups and the only people who are worthy of life, in their opinion, are the people who share their point of view. Even at that they view lives sacrificed to promote their view as honorable and equal to sacrificing ones life for any just cause. 

How do haters learn to hate? This song was quoted in the WT years ago as an example.

People learn from their father, " You are from your father the Devil, and you wish to do the desires of your father."

Lyrics "You've got to be carefully taught" By OscarHammerstein

You've got to be taught to hate and fear
You've got to be taught from year to year
It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made
And people whose skin is a
diff'rent shade

You've got to be taught before it's too late
Before you are six or seven or eight
To hate all the people your relatives hate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAZ8yOFFbAc

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

33 minutes ago, Old said:

How do haters learn to hate? This song was quoted in the WT years ago as an example.

People learn from their father, " You are from your father the Devil, and you wish to do the desires of your father."

*** w55 1/1 p. 17 par. 2 ‘Consider One Another, Trusting in Jehovah’ ***
2 A great change must take place in one’s thinking when he becomes a Christian. There must be a making over of the mind. To quit the old way of thinking is necessary. A new form of instruction must be put on. That is why Paul wrote: “Quit being fashioned after this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and complete will of God.” (Rom. 12:2, NW) Every one of us has been born in the wicked, delinquent, fearful old world and we have been trained in the old world’s way to think selfishly, as human leaders want their followers or subjects to think. From childhood we have been taught to hate other nations, peoples and races and to fear them and suspect them, thus building up barriers between certain persons and ourselves. This wrong thought was very sharply expressed in one of the popular stage successes (“South Pacific”). In that play, a young army man, distressed because he had fallen in love with a young girl of another race and nationality, sings about ‘your being taught to hate and fear; that you have got to be taught from year to year, having it drummed into your dear little ear—carefully taught to be afraid of people whose eyes are ugly made and whose skin is a different shade; carefully taught before it’s too late, before you’re six or seven or eight, to hate all the people your relatives hate.’ And that is true of the old world. Talk aplenty there is about brotherly love and the brotherhood of man and world brotherhood; but those who have been carefully taught according to this old world’s untheocratic theories prefer segregation, class distinction, the caste system. How necessary it is, then, for a reasonable person to make his mind over, to quit thinking like the old world and, instead, take instruction from Almighty God! God’s Book, the Bible, teaches us to love as he loves. Love casts out fear. “He that does not love has not come to know God, because God is love.” “There is no fear in love, but perfect love throws fear outside, because fear exercises a restraint. Indeed, he that is under fear has not been made perfect in love. As for us, we love, because he first loved us.” (1 John 4:8, 18, 19, NW) When one lives by the accurate knowledge he receives from Jehovah’s Word, how different his life becomes! But with these new ideas, these newly found truths from God’s Word, Jehovah’s witnesses must go forward to teach others so that all who eventually choose to become part of the New World society will think as Jehovah thinks and grow to maturity.

You're absolutely right Shawn, and that WA you quoted is definitely correct (but of course). 

I grew up in a very mixed race family, my mother being Sioux and Cherokee, my father being Caucasian and African-American  (his father was Caucasian). That marriage didn't last, so I also grew up with two Caucasian step-fathers with, of course, mixed siblings. 

Such a decision made my mother the butt of closed door ridicule (as if we didn't hear it), and strange looks which spilled onto we children. We were raised with the true belief that it doesn’t matter who you're with as long as they treat you right. And this was during the confusing 50s, and the turbulent 60s. 

Such is why I am the way I am today as far as race is concerned. I don't care! Blood is blood, and if yours is red you're fine with me!

Of course, when I began studying Jehovah's viewpoint I was more convinced of the blood being red thing. Yes, living in a predominantly black and Latino community I catch it at times. But oh well. That's their opinion(s), not fact, so life goes on. And it'll go on forever too once Jehovah ends things, and ushers in a brand new world of color/race blinded people! 

Edited by Luezette

• 2 weeks later...

What happened over in Charlottesville was big news over here in UK. Especially the part where people want to see statues of persons once regarded as heroes in the country, taken down.

We have had similar issues here. Students in Universities here want most of the Country's historic statues taken down in various cities and institutions because the values they claim those people of history believed are no longer politically correct. However, they are coming up against other groups who claim that stuff should stay in place, so people can learn from history - the good and the bad, otherwise it's like hiding/revising history as if it never happened the way it did.

We stand back and watch today's society 'no longer open to agreement' or compromise and knock each other and monuments to pieces.

People are now claiming that if someone does not agree with their point of view, they are a 'victim' of the different point of view or if you don't believe what they do you are vicimizing them. It started with anyone disagreeing with someone's sexual preferences, gender preferences and now it's widening so you can't say anything against anyone.

People are getting so intolerant in politics as well in USA and over here. Many politicians here have had threats of violence and one representative was murdered before the last election.

Intolerance is really escalating now, helped along with the Internet where people can insult, threaten and take offence at others anonymously.Trolling - as this is called - is a regular pastime for many people now.

More areas, as whole communities, are putting up signs, not just on their  house doors, against callers of any sort, sellers and religious, but at the entrances of the villages and towns. I can see how eventually our Ministry could stop when the people are stopping themselves wanting to hear any other point of view other than their own any more.

Edited by retroHelen