JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Countdown to the USA Eclipse on August 21st

We will get to see the Eclipse, 

IF it isn't overcast, that is.:wacko:

USA Total Eclipse of the Sun

prediction_strip.png.d1064e2792c350bae6b138c2524b4d04.png

Anybody, besides Sister Cheryl and Brother Jerry, in the path of totality?^_^

Anybody intend to travel to the path of totality?

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Athens is not too far from me but I will not be traveling to see this magnificent viewing.  For now (this side of Armageddon) I will be content to view away from the crowds. It still amazes me that Jehovah made the sun and though 93 million miles away we still can't look at it without protection. Sometimes I become overwhelmed just thinking about it. I really really look forward to the future eclipses viewing with perfect eyes! Hey I wonder if we would need viewing protection then.    

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

Alas, the forecast for landfall doesn't look too promising.

From "News Lincoln County":

"Eclipse Viewing… The countdown for Monday’s Great American Solar Eclipse continues. With just five days left, forecasters are refining their predictions. Right now, it looks like it’ll be partly to mostly overcast here on the Central Coast during the eclipse itself, from about 9:00am-11: 30am, depending on how fast any morning low clouds burn off. The real wildcard of course is fog, often developing or dissipating quickly especially at prime viewing locations like the beaches and headlands. National Weather Service eclipse website is here."

I remember the 1979 eclipse which was an overcast day. It was still very interesting. Birds started singing their twilight song, street lights went on, got very dark and reversed the procedure and got daylight again. I was not in a totality area at the time.

We have guests coming some 350 miles to view it.

Nobody took me up on my offer of the other guest room, guess I should have included room service. :(

If we get light fog or light overcast the view will be okay. When no neighbors were looking I tried out my eclipse glasses. (Note to self, do not walk while wearing eclipse glasses,) forgot there was a shrub in front of me. No broken bones but shrub looks crushed. :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

11 hours ago, Old said:

Alas, the forecast for landfall doesn't look too promising.

From "News Lincoln County":

"Eclipse Viewing… The countdown for Monday’s Great American Solar Eclipse continues. With just five days left, forecasters are refining their predictions. Right now, it looks like it’ll be partly to mostly overcast here on the Central Coast during the eclipse itself, from about 9:00am-11: 30am, depending on how fast any morning low clouds burn off. The real wildcard of course is fog, often developing or dissipating quickly especially at prime viewing locations like the beaches and headlands. National Weather Service eclipse website is here."

I remember the 1979 eclipse which was an overcast day. It was still very interesting. Birds started singing their twilight song, street lights went on, got very dark and reversed the procedure and got daylight again. I was not in a totality area at the time.

We have guests coming some 350 miles to view it.

Nobody took me up on my offer of the other guest room, guess I should have included room service. :(

If we get light fog or light overcast the view will be okay. When no neighbors were looking I tried out my eclipse glasses. (Note to self, do not walk while wearing eclipse glasses,) forgot there was a shrub in front of me. No broken bones but shrub looks crushed. :)

In 1984 I lived at 33.2782° N, 86.3550° W.  There was a solar eclipse on May 30 of that year.  I thought of it as a total solar eclipse but it was actually an annular solar eclipse.  The moon was farther from the Earth at that time due to its elliptical orbit.  The disc of the moon almost completely covered the disc of the sun, but not quite.  This path of the solar eclipse was from New Orleans through Mississippi, central Alabama, north central Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina.  The 2017 solar eclipse is supposed to be a total eclipse and the path will cross the entire United States.

In 1984 I used a coat hanger to hold a piece of paper with a pin hole through it.  I had a second-floor deck on the back of my house.  I mounted the coat hanger on the back deck. (Fancy way of saying I stuck the straight end of the coat hanger in the wooden deck railing) and set up a mirror to reflect the image through a sliding glass door on my daughter's  bedroom wall.  I also borrowed two pieces of welding glass from work.  ( They allowed us to borrow items from the warehouse if we signed for them.  I was working nights and went home to view the eclipse that day.  The reflection on my daughter's wall was viewable but the view through the two pieces of welding glass was better.  I used two pieces because I had found out what was required for safety and those two added up to exactly what was needed.

I now live at 33.8943° N, 83.9557° W.  We will get about 98% eclipse from our area.  I considered going to a location that would give me a 100% view but decided long ago that the traffic would be awful.  I can once again watch the eclipse from my back deck.  This time using a mirror to reflect the eclipse on a bedroom wall is not an option.  I do not have access to welding glass as I did before and I did not purchase the required glasses for viewing.  I will probably build a box that I can use for a viewer, with a pinhole on one side and a viewing port on the other side.  (That is a simplified description of the viewing box.)

In 1984 it was a clear sky for the eclipse in the area where I live.  The weather forecast looks promising for this year.

Edited by Witness1970

added last line

8 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Thanks for that, Ross. I'm still not good with posting pictures and files...:huh:

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

21 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

We will get to see the Eclipse, 

IF it isn't overcast, that is.:wacko:

USA Total Eclipse of the Sun

prediction_strip.png.d1064e2792c350bae6b138c2524b4d04.png

Anybody, besides Sister Cheryl and Brother Jerry, in the path of totality?^_^

Anybody intend to travel to the path of totality?

I tried to talk my husband into taking the day off, the path of totality is only 248 miles away from us.  I started looking for glasses so I could view the eclipse two weeks ago and no one in my area has any, I'm so sad and disappointed!  I plan on turning my back toward the eclipse and putting my phone camera on "forward facing" and then zooming in on it and watching it that way.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

11 minutes ago, Qapla said:

You do not need the whole helmet - just the "lense" 

Are they expensive? Actually I think a harbor Freight store just opened up in my town a month or so ago.Is there another name for the welding lense? I'm doing a search on their website for replacement welding lense's and nothing comes up - only full-on helmets.

Edited by shali

Google "Eclipse viewing box". Many examples of viewing the eclipse with out eclipse glasses.

Here is just one such page http://www.instructables.com/id/Cardboard-Box-Eclipse-Viewer/

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I may just glance up at it every now and then, it's something we've all done through the years - we all glance on the sun every now and then (not stare) and we all still have our sight.

17 hours ago, shali said:

I may just glance up at it every now and then, it's something we've all done through the years - we all glance on the sun every now and then (not stare) and we all still have our sight.

Not a good idea, read the story:

http://kxan.com/2017/08/18/oregon-man-shares-warning-after-damaging-his-eyes-in-1962-eclipse/

7 hours ago, Old said:

f2ac2cf957e7733889b847315a7e99bc--science-comics-science-puns.jpg

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

HiEven if it is overcast, I can still experience our version of the eclipse.^_^

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16019892/solar-eclipse-2017-interactive-map

Just punch in your zip code to see what YOU

will see.:D

Or, you can punch in other zip codes to see what THEY will see.:lol:

Or you can watch online:

http://earthsky.org/human-world/how-to-watch-eclipse-online-aug-21-2017?

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I'm glad someone told me a couple of days ago that you can't look at this type of eclipse because I was planning on looking at it with my naked eyes. I had no idea. I thought about buying some eclipse glasses but Walmart was sold out and I wasn't going to go out of my way to buy any, especially expensive ones. I'll just look at pictures of it online.

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

On 8/16/2017 at 6:41 PM, NSSewer said:

I really really look forward to the future eclipses viewing with perfect eyes! Hey I wonder if we would need viewing protection then.    

It may not be because our eyes are imperfect. If Jehovah puts the water canopy back in the new world, we may be able to look at these types of eclipses even with imperfect eyes. 

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

16 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

It may not be because our eyes are imperfect. If Jehovah puts the water canopy back in the new world, we may be able to look at these types of eclipses even with imperfect eyes. 

What water canopy? :confused:

16 minutes ago, Old said:

What water canopy? :confused:

It is mentioned at Genesis 1:6,7. It was a "heavenly ocean" that may have protected the earth from too much of the suns rays. Interestingly, people started living shorter lives after the flood, when this water canopy burst. It's possible that we live shorter lives now because the sun is literally killing us and the air is not as rich in oxygen as it was before the flood when there might have been more atmospheric pressure due to the water canopy. 

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2011205#h=14

Edited by Brother Jack

Forecast all week was for clouds and rain tomorrow,

and I had pretty much resigned myself to the idea of watching it on TV or my computer.

But the latest forecast is calling for a sunny day!!! Yaye!!!!!!

I just may get to use my $2.78 eclipse glasses after all. :Dglasses.jpg.0cb4401a47173b1231d9230f316f8c35.jpg

Forecast all week was for clouds and rain tomorrow,
and I had pretty much resigned myself to the idea of watching it on TV or my computer.

But the latest forecast is calling for a sunny day!!! Yaye!!!!!!
I just may get to use my $2.78 eclipse glasses after all. default_biggrin.pngglasses.jpg.0cb4401a47173b1231d9230f316f8c35.jpg
Do they have the ISO stamp on it it a series of about 6 #'s?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk