JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WT artwork in Public Domain

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2410 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hey Everyone!

It's not every day we learn something new. Today is that day.

I just learned how to find a cache of our artwork.

OK, ok, I won't keep you in suspense . .

Start at Google Images.

Type in subject, such as - Tigers.

Follow Tigers with a space.

Then type - site:jw.org

BAM!  Up comes our artwork!

It doesn't stop there.  Tap on an image and the search engine takes you to the article where the artwork appears!

Now, please tell me I'm not the only one who just learned this.

They are copyrighted as are all our publications.

The images show up because they are on the web. This does not mean they are public domain. They may only be used within the same guidelines as any of our publications. 

Do you notice the warning of a possible copyright notice? Select any illustration and you will see a warning on the lower right-hand corner.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

The way this works is by means of so called SEO (Search engine optimisation) and search engine crawler bots (e.g. Google, bing, yahoo etc).
Our brother put extraordinary efforts to make our site more SEO optimised. The way its done is by means of hidden text tags for each picture that describes the content of the picture. (this is how we find the correct description of each publication including the pictures for the weekly WT study).
Then comes Google crawler bot. That piece of software literally crawls the Internet, every page, every picture, every single letter and makes them available to the search engine, that thing that finds what you input into the search bar at Google.com. The better SEO optimised your site is, the higher your site will be i and the search result.
There is an exception to this crawler, it won't index Web site and its content if there is a robots.txt file in the folder containing the site.
However, all this does not mean that the picture is in the public domain and is free for commercial use. It is just an aggregated result from all the result that appear on a certain Web site and they still fall under the copyright from the owner. Those copyrights can be found on the owners website in the copyright section.

There are many advanced techniques to search on Google, which will get you almost anything you want. Just do a quick Google search on "advanced search techniques on Google"... Oh the amusement... You search Google to learn how to search on Google :)

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

On 8/20/2017 at 7:11 PM, Doug said:

Hey Everyone!

It's not every day we learn something new. Today is that day.

I just learned how to find a cache of our artwork.

OK, ok, I won't keep you in suspense . .

Start at Google Images.

Type in subject, such as - Tigers.

Follow Tigers with a space.

Then type - site:jw.org

BAM!  Up comes our artwork!

It doesn't stop there.  Tap on an image and the search engine takes you to the article where the artwork appears!

Now, please tell me I'm not the only one who just learned this.

Just because an image can be found on Google does not mean it's in the public domain.  

The instructions you posted above are how you can use Google to search a website.  

But this is a good lesson on how to use google to search.