JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

LDC Disaster Relief

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1975 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I'm interested in information and experiences from anyone that has participated in any LDC Disaster Relief project.

I'd like to learn about lodging, transportation, meals, skills, organization, schedule, etc. Anything that someone volunteering for the first time would need to know.

Here is a nice video about Disaster Relief

https://tv.jw.org/#en/mediaitems/VODActivitiesReliefWork/pub-jwbrd_201505_3_VIDEO

...No jokes please, I'd like to keep this topic informative.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

6 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I'd like to learn about lodging, transportation, meals, skills, organization, schedule, etc. Anything that someone volunteering for the first time would need to know.

These are variables that can change according to the disaster - there are no "normal" procedures when it comes to a disaster so, each one is handled according to the current needs and conditions.

Take Harvey, for example. If the flooding and damage is as widespread as is feared, there will be no place for lodging, travel may be restricted, so that will have an impact on transportation, etc. 

One thing that does not change with the LDC arrangement for disaster relief: If you do not have an active DC-50 on file with the LDC, you will not be invited to participate. If you are invited, you will get your assignment based on what is needed and your stated/evaluated skills. You are asked NOT to go to any disaster area without being invited and assigned.

Another thing that may apply to a large-scale disaster like Harvey, you may also be required to have a current tetanus shot.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

One thing that does not change with the LDC arrangement for disaster relief: If you do not have an active DC-50 on file with the LDC, you will not be invited to participate. If you are invited, you will get your assignment based on what is needed and your stated/evaluated skills. You are asked NOT to go to any disaster area without being invited and assigned.

The DC-50 also needs to show that you are willing and able to help with Disaster Relief, according to the BA Help file, if you didn't mark "Disaster Relief" on the DC-50, then you need to submitted another DC-50 to your Service Committee.  

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 minutes ago, Margaret said:

Reminder : LDC applications are only good for 3 years and must be renewed

Correct. The DC-50 expiration date is available on your BA profile.

That is why I keep mine current ....

I just had a call this week from Volunteer Service about an upcoming major remodel about 150 miles from where I live.

I assume that if the LDC Disaster Relief needs help from outside of the disaster area they use BA to invite volunteers close to the disaster area first and then keep enlarging the invitation range until they get enough volunteers with the right skills, so someone in California may not receive an invitation, however I haven't found any information to confirm if that is the correct process,

I'm also assuming the BA invitation would include a date range and the volunteer selects the dates they are available, just like a construction project.

In October we will be studying about the Ministry of Relief at the CBS. The KR has some nice encouragement for anyone thinking about helping with Disaster Relief.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102014262

10 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I assume that if the LDC Disaster Relief needs help from outside of the disaster area they use BA to invite volunteers close to the disaster area first and then keep enlarging the invitation range until they get enough volunteers with the right skills, so someone in California may not receive an invitation, however I haven't found any information to confirm if that is the correct process,

I'm also assuming the BA invitation would include a date range and the volunteer selects the dates they are available, just like a construction project.

Brother Richard...what does BA stand for?:confused:

10 minutes ago, nanceebgd46 said:

Brother Richard...what does BA stand for?:confused:

Builders Assistant.  It is the software program that LDC uses to track the projects and volunteers.  Project invitations are sent to volunteers through the Builders Assistant program.

It is correct that BA is used to send the invitation in the way you explained with the exception of certain fields that may require specific training or certification. In these cases, those individuals are invited regardless of their proximity to the work 

Our congregation secretary said that I needed to submit a new DC-50 if I wanted to add Disaster Relief so I did that Sunday. He said he isn't able to make the changes on-line so it has to be processed by the LDC, I don't know how long that process takes. Anyway, the ball is rolling and it's in Jehovah's hands. 

:thumbsup:

There are skills designated for Disaster Relief that are not regularly covered in the LDC skills for building. Some of these cover remediation and communications - there has been a need for ones with HAM Radio equipment and license

Edited by Qapla

49 minutes ago, Qapla said:

:thumbsup:

There are skills designated for Disaster Relief that are not regularly covered in the LDC skills for building. Some of these cover remediation and communications - there has been a need for ones with HAM Radio equipment and license

I hope they need a middle aged couch potato because that is the only skill that I have...

Well, that didn't take long.

I signed my revised DC50 on Sunday night and my BA profile was updated by LDC today. I am now listed as being available for Disaster Relief. 

4 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Well, that didn't take long.

I signed my revised DC50 on Sunday night and my BA profile was updated by LDC today. I am now listed as being available for Disaster Relief. 

Congratulations :)

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

Does anyone know if any airlines are offering discounts to Disaster Relief volunteers?

If I get invited to help with Disaster Relief I'd love to take advantage of any travel discounts.. 

11 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Does anyone know if any airlines are offering discounts to Disaster Relief volunteers?

If I get invited to help with Disaster Relief I'd love to take advantage of any travel discounts.. 

It appears there may be some effort on the part of airlines.

You might try here  http://www.flyforgood.com/airfare/

Google airline disaster relief

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 minutes ago, Old said:

Thanks, I had Googled it last night but I also don't mind asking for help..:)

11 minutes ago, Old said:

Thanks,  their FAQ says they will require proof that I'm working for a nonprofit organization. That's good to know ahead of time. If I get an invite from LDC I'll need to see if that is sufficient proof.

BTW: If anyone is planning to help out with Disaster Relief in 2018, you may need a passport for domestic flights.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequently-asked-questions#realid

Well, I guess I will not have to worry about that. For one, Florida is one of the states that are requiring the new Real ID when you renew - and I have to renew this year.

But, more than that, if I can't drive there or ride a train or bus, I won't be going.

I've decided to watch all of the "Relief Work" videos for our Family Worship tomorrow. It's about 71 minutes altogether.

https://tv.jw.org/#en/categories/VODOurActivities

21 hours ago, Old said:

Thank you for the suggestion. I emailed flyforgood.com and received this reply.

Hello Richard, 

We do not have domestic contracted fares. We can help with your ticket but our fares would be the same as you may be seeing already and we have a $30 ticketing service fee. 

Please advise your travel details if you would like a quote.

Thank you