JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hurricane Irma could be the next weather disaster

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2410 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Now that the forecast track changed (east vs west), I have a cousin who lives in Tampa and her husband & three children. Haven't heard from her since yesterday, I think she may have changed plans from staying to moving to shelter/other brother's home. Hope and pray they're ok. In any case, they were ready to follow the elders instructions.

Down here, some if us are without power and water, but that didn't stop us from organizing a big recollection of food, water, and supplies for our brothers in the islands (Barbuda, St. Thomas, St. Marteen, Antigua, etc). We filled the Assembly Hall dining room and brothers keep coming and coming with all kinds of help. Truly and simply, Jehovah's people showing love in action!

Edited by richietj77

We are in a holding pattern. We won't know what impact Irma will have on us for another 24 hours or so .....

Water collected, food stuffs secured, batteries on the ready and go-bags packed.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

At the latest update, Irma is still 456 miles (straight line) from us and we are already getting rainbands, Looks like we are in for a couple of wet days.

4 minutes ago, Qapla said:

At the latest update, Irma is still 456 miles (straight line) from us and we are already getting rainbands, Looks like we are in for a couple of wet days.

Keep in touch if you can...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 hours ago, Qapla said:

Our meeting was cancelled for Sunday - but then, that is the time when Irma may be closest to us.

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

As long as we still have power, I will be online

And you are "right in the path of Irma," as it states in your displayed location. Have there been any evacuation orders from the authorities? We are praying for a good outcome for you and all our brothers and sisters close by.

My friends, if the authorities tell you to evacuate, do so! Please!!! 

I know this is from soneone living in NYC, so what do I really know right? And you would be correct if you feel that way. 

Yet, I love you all so this is why Im beseeching you: leave if they tell you to! 

Edited by Luezette

My cousin is in St Petersburg and its too late now. i messaged his sister who is in Barrie and she told me that. They are expecting a 15 foot wall of storm surge in Tampa so I pray eveything is ok! They also said the west coast of Florida will have to be rebuilt. East coast refirbished. This will be dangerous. 

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

That may have updates from the Keys .... but they are not as up to date for my home - I get a more immediate update by looking out the window.

That said - we have been watching quite a bit of The Weather Channel

Edited by Qapla

17 hours ago, Tortuga said:

The son of a brother in our area lives in Miami and he drove to Sarasota to avoid the storm and then went back to Miami when the storm changed direction. :eek:

And...ones that headed to Tampa - only to find that Irma is heading toward Tampa

and now have to find another route due to Irma shifting west.

Here on the Gulfcoast in Manatee County. Tropical storm conditions expected to start here in about 5 or 6 hours with hurricane conditions starting about 12 hours after that. In about 24 to 30 hours it will be all over ! Mandatory evacuation for mobile homes and all in Zone A(flood prone areas). One of our major hospitals Manatee Memorial is in zone A and has been evacuated with patients transferred to other hospitals. My wife has been quite ill and was in a hospital until Friday when she was transferred to a rehab facility. When visiting her yesterday the facility received about 30 patients that were evacuated from a Punta Gorda facility. But she is safe and secure. Some of our brothers have left the area and state but most like me are still here. 

We had a letter read today re: the hurricanes effect in the French territories  - no deaths as yet reported but in one of the Islands (I think St Martin) with 700 brothers they have only been able to account for 200 due to the breakdown in communication.  We were told to not send anything direct  but use the 24:14 box for donations. The brothers asked us to pray for those effected.

I'm praying hard for the 500 and of course for all the others being hit hard, especially Florida.  

Edited by sunshine

So far this morning we have had a few rainbands, some heavy, but not much wind yet. Of course, Irma is still over 300 miles away.

My the end of Monday it should be past us.

We are not looking to being out of power because where we live we are in a "low priority" area and they do not rush over to restore our power.

So far we only have a little wind, partly sunny. We don't expect too much of the storm to effect us. Power outage, but that happens to us frequently. 

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

32 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Oh...my...reality looks even worse than the predicted image. :wacko:

59b5863c00232_Realitylooksevenworsethanprediction.jpg.gif.3964c7be40278f12f3b9a87caf520f81.gif

Florida is under all that...somewhere. :(

I'm sure that those of us in Florida are watching the weather reports very carefully! Actually, we have been engaging in a special kind of ministry...Pocket letters for motel employees! We are in Daytona Beach..had to evacuate from our mobile home to a 4 story new motel right next to the assembly hall..Last night Don and I decided to walk outside to enjoy the breezy fresh air. We saw a security guard in the parking lot and spoke with him for a half our..He had toured the ass. hall and rold us he is from Brazil, and his father was a zealous witness. He grew up attending meetings! We gave  him our green pocket letter.."Who really Controls the World?". He used Jeho ah's name and kept saying that we are a worldwide organization and very respected!..We told him about Russia and showed him our website on my phone..he wants to read about their banning our Bible!! This was outside just before 9 pm. Before we leave (if our MH survives this) there are 2 brochures and a couple of mags. we want to give him!! Then this morning I placed 4 pocket letters (along with 4 organic peanut butter cups) with housekeeping staff..had a chat with girl from Jamaica who wants to find our "church" because she is just visiting USA.  She wants to give her life to God! Got perso al info. to turn over to a sis from her island that has the same name as her middle name..Ann Marie!

20170904_135937-1-1-1.jpg

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif