JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hurricane Irma could be the next weather disaster

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2403 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I find it surprising that, being the biggest storm ever recorded in the Atlantic, Irma hasn't caused such a big number of victims. Of course even one single person killed is a tragedy. But compare the 58 victims with the almost 2000 killed by Katrina.

Maybe that  depends on a combination of factors. A smaller hurricane in a densely populated area is much more likely to cause victims than a terrible hurricane in the middle of the desert. But it may also mean that the way authorities and people handle the situation is the key factor.

Edited by carlos

Survival is dependent upon getting the mandatory evacuation warnings out in a timely fashion,

people heeding those warnings, and having enough transportation and fuel to get those complying with

the mandatory evacuation safely out of harm's way.

When it comes to the above, Katrina's victims were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse off than Irma's victims.

Many who perished in Katrina simply had no way out.

My hubby thinks the race factor had a lot to do with it.  

Sadly, he may be right.:(

We need Jehovah's New World, where there will truly be 'liberty and justice' for ALL.^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

We got a generator going today and were able to take cool showers in our own house. Also could run the lights and freezer for a while but we probably lost the food in the refrigerator 

Still no word on when power may be restored 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

22 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Survival is dependent upon getting the mandatory evacuation warnings out in a timely fashion,

people heeding those warnings, and having enough transportation and fuel to get those complying with

the mandatory evacuation safely out of harm's way.

When it comes to the above, Katrina's victims were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse off than Irma's victims.

Many who perished in Katrina simply had no way out.

My hubby thinks the race factor had a lot to do with it.  

Sadly, he may be right.:(

We need Jehovah's New World, where there will truly be 'liberty and justice' for ALL.^_^

You must know better than me, but I find it hard to believe that people were left to die because of their race. The role of the authorities during those crisis is not easy at all. If they don't evacuate and the situation is worse than they expected, there will be victims and the people will be irate. If they evacuate and then the situation is not as bad as they expected, there will be looting and people will be irate anyway. Some might even die during the evacuation, remember hurricane Rita in 2015. In the end it's a fifty/fifty decision with as many possibilities of going wrong as of going well.

But yes, we need the New World at once! :)

Edited by carlos

NASA photos show before and after Irma pics:

http://earthsky.org/earth/virgin-islands-before-after-hurricane-irma-satellite-images

virgin-islands-befoe-after-irma-2017.jpg

From lush green to barren brown. :(

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

5 hours ago, carlos said:

You must know better than me, but I find it hard to believe that people were left to die because of their race. The role of the authorities during those crisis is not easy at all. If they don't evacuate and the situation is worse than they expected, there will be victims and the people will be irate. If they evacuate and then the situation is not as bad as they expected, there will be looting and people will be irate anyway. Some might even die during the evacuation, remember hurricane Rita in 2015. In the end it's a fifty/fifty decision with as many possibilities of going wrong as of going well.

But yes, we need the New World at once! :)

I recall many neighborhoods in New Orleans were below sea level and the levees broke, so flooding was up to the attics. These were poor neighborhoods that were predominately black.  Many couldn't leave, no money for gasoline, or other means for transportation.  Also, rescue response was very slow, those in charge were frozen at the helm - so intense heat, with no water for three or more days was a factor, no doubt.  A few years back, I attended the International Convention at the Superdome, which seemed a likely place of refuge during the hurricane, but turned out a nightmare, people were murdered.

Die Evil World.

I hope it comes back on for you too. 

It amazes me at times, how we (all of us as in humankind) take things for granted at times. We don't seem to notice things until they're gone. I'm not saying you personally, but I notice that when, for instance, my hot water is cold. It's true that my building is right on top of things when that happens, but I know I take such things for granted at times, as in don't give it a second thought until it's gone. 

Ok I'm gonna stop here before I give you non stop words on count your blessings, lol. Hoo boy! :zipmouth:

Edited by Luezette

Here in Manatee County made a few return visits this morning and then checked on a couple of the friends. Some still without power-as of this morning about 14% and the weather is pretty sticky. We've been encouraged to make our homes available for the friends that are without power still.

Here we go again...

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/tropical-storm-hurricane-maria-lesser-antilles

We're not completely recovered from Irma, power is not stable at this time (this morning, power went down and came late in the afternoon) and we go for another round again.

@Mods: Maybe we'll need a thread for Trop Storm (Probably Hurricane) Maria.

A few minutes ago I heard (radio), that NYC may feel hurricane Jose starting this Tuesday. 

Could it be that the Big Apple is getting jealous of you low lying/below sea level folks, and want to join in the NOT fun?  Typical NYC, never satisfied, always complaining, we want this, we want that.