JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Calling Jehovah 'Daddy'

A few people lately have been referring to Jehovah as Daddy. I don't know why but it bothers me. I feel it's disrespectful in a way that it makes him sound simple and small as opposed to Father which, to me, sounds regal and trustworthy. Am I wrong to feel this way?

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I am not sure where to find it (I did a quick search) but I remember long ago we were instructed not to be "casual" or use "nicknames" to refer to Jehovah or Jesus.

Calling them "Big J" and "Little J" would fall into that category - as might "Daddy"

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

A few people lately have been referring to Jehovah as Daddy. I don't know why but it bothers me. I feel it's disrespectful in a way that it makes him sound simple and small as opposed to Father which, to me, sounds regal and trustworthy. Am I wrong to feel this way?

Your feelings are not wrong. The words used in the original languages convey both respect and familiarity. Could you think of an expression that would convey the same thing to you?

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

10 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

A few people lately have been referring to Jehovah as Daddy

:eek:

Oh my, that feels so wrong!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 minute ago, Tortuga said:

:eek:

Oh my, that feels so wrong!

Yeah it kinda knocks him off his lofty throne a bit doesn't it? Takes the dignity out of his role. Have to ponder more on this.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

12 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I am not sure where to find it (I did a quick search) but I remember long ago we were instructed not to be "casual" or use "nicknames" to refer to Jehovah or Jesus.

I think you may refer to one of these articles:

*** w14 12/1 p. 5 Do You Communicate With God? ***
We can speak to Jehovah by means of prayer. Prayer to God, however, is not the same as a casual conversation we might have with a peer. We have to recognize that when we pray, we are addressing our Creator, the Most High of the universe. This should move us to pray with a deep sense of respect and reverence.

*** w99 1/15 p. 16 par. 5 Lift Up Loyal Hands in Prayer ***
Well, if we were speaking to a human king, we would do so respectfully and with dignity. Should not our prayers be even more dignified and respectful, since we are praying to Jehovah, the “King of eternity”? (Revelation 15:3) So when praying we would avoid such statements as, “Good morning, Jehovah,” “We send you our love,” or, “Have a nice day.” The Scriptures show that God’s only-begotten Son, Jesus Christ, never addressed his heavenly Father in that way.

1 hour ago, carlos said:

The Scriptures show that God’s only-begotten Son, Jesus Christ, never addressed his heavenly Father in that way.

Yes!

When we read how Jesus prayed, either giving instructions (Mt 6:9) or in private, intimate prayer (Mt 22:41,42) he NEVER used "Daddy".

Hi Sister Cheryl,

Yes I agree with you. It doesn't sound right to me either. Maybe the motive is not bad in the sense that some are trying to find a way of getting closer to our "Father". However, referring to Jehovah as Daddy seems to be placing Jehovah among humans dads. So it lowers Jehovah in my eyes. It is possible someone started doing this because of learning how Jesus said "Abba" when praying to His Father. They may have thought that a modern day version of Abba is "Daddy". But the problem is that while Abba does have a meaning of intimacy/closeness and children have used this term for their fathers, the full meaning has the idea of deep respect and showing dignity and even submissiveness. "Daddy" is just a cute way for a child to address his/her father, but is not comparable to "Abba". Plus, Jesus and first century Christians who used "Abba" did so in prayer, but I don't think they referred to Jehovah casually as "Abba" in everyday conversations.

*** w09 4/1 p. 13 Did You Know? ***
The Aramaic word ʼab·baʼʹ can mean either “the father” or “O Father.” 

*** it-1 p. 13 Abba ***
Rather than as just a translation from Aramaic into Greek, some see in the use of both ʼAb·baʼʹ and “Father” together, first, the trust, confidence, and submissiveness of a child, followed by a mature appreciation of the filial relationship and its responsibilities.

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

1 hour ago, carlos said:

So when praying we would avoid such statements as, “Good morning, Jehovah,” “We send you our love,” or, “Have a nice day.” The Scriptures show that God’s only-begotten Son, Jesus Christ, never addressed his heavenly Father in that way.

Ok, so, I can understand not using two of these examples,  it doesn't sound very respectful at all. To me it would be like meeting a powerful earthly ruler( King, President, Dictator, Queen) and saying 'hey bruh, what up?' and going for a fist bump or high five. ..

What is wrong with saying 'We send you our love'?

We do love and respect our Heavenly Father and we do show that love by our 'sacrifice of the lips', (is that the right quote? ) why would it be wrong to say it out loud?

(excuse me if I am a tad dense today,:wall:  half way through a head cold and full of Nyquil :nuke:)

(Romans 8:15) For you did not receive a spirit of slavery causing fear again, but you received a spirit of adoption as sons, by which spirit we cry out: “Abba, Father!”

An exact translation of the word really isn't relevant here, because those who are authorized to express this sentiment do not use any translation or transliteration, they feel what the spirit directs them to feel. Putting it into words isn't strictly necessary, because it's a mutually understood sentiment between the anointed one and Jehovah, and it is rarely necessary to discuss it with others.

In modern English, I think a closer but still imperfect word might be "dad". It conveys respect, yet it's also a term that any of us would be deeply offended by if someone outside the family used it to refer to our own father.

1 hour ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Maybe the motive is not bad in the sense that some are trying to find a way of getting closer to our "Father".

You do not have to use terms like "Dad" or "Daddy" to get close (or even sound close) to Jehovah (see this post)

I am sure none of us have ever been as close to Jehovah as Jesus - and he NEVER used terms like that (and neither did Robert)

Edited by Qapla

56 minutes ago, Qapla said:

You do not have to use terms like "Dad" or "Daddy" to get close (or even sound close) to Jehovah (see this post)

I am sure none of us have ever been as close to Jehovah as Jesus - and he NEVER used terms like that (and neither did Robert)

Abba?

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

14 minutes ago, Dove said:

Abba?

As was brought out in an earlier post ....Abba is not properly translated as "Dad", Daddy", "Pops", Old Man", "Whitey" or any other casual term.

I did write that but I didn't post it. Instead I stopped before so and did some research. I didn't know it went anyway....it did used to be thought of as an endearing term but no more....

My, people are so quick to jump..

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

13 hours ago, lovejoypeace said:

But it makes me wonder, are the anointed as sons of God, given permission to. Calling Jehovah by terms of endearment, like Abba, maybe not on Earth, but when called to heaven I wonder?

In Romans 8:15, quoted by Stavro above, Paul is not talking in the future tense, but in present: "you received a spirit of adoption as sons, by which spirit we cry out: “Abba, Father!”".

The anointed don't need to wait until they are glorified in heaven to become children of Jehovah and call him Abba. They are adopted as children at the very moment they are anointed. On the other hand, those of us who have the earthly hope will have to wait until we are perfect in the new world to become Jehovah's children. :)

Unfortunately it's an elders wife. So that could lead some to copy that behavior, as another person did. Using the term over and over in a forum that disturbs me more.

Maybe I should just let alone, let Jehovah deal with it.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34