JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New Feature of the Midweek Meeting

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2386 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Beginning in January 2018, the midweek meeting will include study notes and media from the online study edition of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures (nwtsty), even if the study edition is not yet available in your language. No doubt this information will enrich your meeting preparation. More important, may it draw you ever closer to our loving Father, Jehovah!

december workbook

Beginning in January 2018, the midweek meeting will include study notes and media from the online study edition of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures (nwtsty), even if the study edition is not yet available in your language. No doubt this information will enrich your meeting preparation. More important, may it draw you ever closer to our loving Father, Jehovah!
december workbook

Download your JWPUB files from here:

https://www.jw.org/download/?issue=201712&output=html&pub=mwb&fileformat=JWPUB%2CMOBI%2CPDF%2CRTF%2CTXT%2CBRL%2CBES&alllangs=0&langwritten=E&txtCMSLang=E&isBible=0

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I cannot wait to use the study bible!!! But I am a little confused by this, I use the Bible in English, but currently I can only find Appendix A-C and then Matthew, Mark and Luke in Audio form. Should there be more avaliable online by now, or are they waiting to release it in print first?  

22 minutes ago, moosic said:

I cannot wait to use the study bible!!! But I am a little confused by this, I use the Bible in English, but currently I can only find Appendix A-C and then Matthew, Mark and Luke in Audio form. Should there be more avaliable online by now, or are they waiting to release it in print first?  

The study notes and multimedia material included in the study edition are only available online and in our applications, and thus far only Matthew, Mark and Luke have been released. There aren't any plans for a printed release of nwtsty.

11 minutes ago, ArthurW said:

The study notes and multimedia material included in the study edition are only available online and in our applications, and thus far only Matthew, Mark and Luke have been released. There aren't any plans for a printed release of nwtsty.

That makes sense too. My guess is that the study edition will be added to the jw library app after the Annual Meeting this year. Possible announcement?

Edited by Peace be with you

I think there was an annoucement in JW Broadcasting, during the interview Geoff Jackson had with the three brothers in MEPS Programming about the inclusion of nwtsty in JW Library as one of the future improvements of the app.

UPDATE: I checked the segment in the May 2017 episode. Actually it's not there. But anyway, I do remember hearing it announced on a video. Can't recall which precisely.

Edited by ArthurW

update

These portions will be translated in our workbook (French). Nice !

It was the original idea with the workbook that the material not yet available in a particular language would be published there so we could all enjoy the same spiritual meal.

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Preparing this means a lot of work and study, so it is released in bits. Can we expect the study notes to the good news according to John to be released with the JW Library version?

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

10 hours ago, ArthurW said:

I think there was an annoucement in JW Broadcasting, during the interview Geoff Jackson had with the three brothers in MEPS Programming about the inclusion of nwtsty in JW Library as one of the future improvements of the app.

UPDATE: I checked the segment in the May 2017 episode. Actually it's not there. But anyway, I do remember hearing it announced on a video. Can't recall which precisely.

The study bible was definitely discussed in the broadcast (pretty sure it was May) as that's where I first heard about it, and wanted to know more, only for this announcement a few weeks after watching the broadcast (I'm a little behind...!) 

I expect that soon we will have announced that the entire Christian Greek Scriptures will be available soon in the study edition of the New World Translation. If not, I expect the remaining books of the Christian Greek Scriptures will be released progressively throughout the coming year, in accord with our weekly Bible reading schedule so that by the end of 2018, we will have the entire Christian Greek Scriptures in the study Bible.

I expect that soon we will have announced that the entire Christian Greek Scriptures will be available soon in the study edition of the New World Translation. If not, I expect the remaining books of the Christian Greek Scriptures will be released progressively throughout the coming year, in accord with our weekly Bible reading schedule so that by the end of 2018, we will have the entire Christian Greek Scriptures in the study Bible.

I am not sure that is possible. You don't want to stress this type of research. After all, images and videos need be produced. 3D animation sometimes takes a long time to prepare. Facts found and checked. And then a final approval by the GB. After that, translation packages are prepared, and after the RTO teams have done their job, it can be released.

Johan

The study bible was definitely discussed in the broadcast (pretty sure it was May) as that's where I first heard about it, and wanted to know more, only for this announcement a few weeks after watching the broadcast (I'm a little behind...!) 

The first time it was discussed was at the release of the 2013 revision, but a lot of people didn't get what it really was.

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 hours ago, Thesauron said:

I am not sure that is possible. You don't want to stress this type of research. After all, images and videos need be produced. 3D animation sometimes takes a long time to prepare. Facts found and checked. And then a final approval by the GB. After that, translation packages are prepared, and after the RTO teams have done their job, it can be released.

I understand you don't want to rush the research that goes into producing the study Bible, but really, what point would this new feature of our midweek meeting serve if the study notes did not match with the weekly Bible reading? 

I suspect that the brothers are further along with the study Bible than we may realise. Not to sound ungrateful, but in two whole years we have had only three Bible books released in the study Bible. To suddenly announce that study notes and media will accompany the weekly Bible reading for next year in many languages indicates to me that significant advancement has been made in the original English study Bible and in translation of its content into other languages. Perhaps they have held off releasing more Bible books until a time when the material would have more relevance. Since we will be starting the Christian Greek Scriptures in our weekly Bible reading next year, it will prompt the brothers to make more use of this helpful tool.

When you think of it, too, there would probably be less images and videos required for the books of the Christian Greek Scriptures which are comprised of letters to the congregations, as these dont really contain narratives of Bible accounts requiring geographical settings/background historical information, which would necessitate obtaining as many images and creating videos. I imagine that the books requiring the most effort would be the Gospels, the book of Acts, and the book of Revelation.

It seems to me that the study edition of the bible is like the insight and the bible bounded together. It's an enhanced edition even. If I recall, brother Heard was assigned to updating the insight book (and lots of articles are already updated in the latest print) so I imagine that most research to the study edition ran concurrently to the insights research. Lots of information are already present there,  like geographic,  locations photos, meaning of certain words, etc... 

I understand you don't want to rush the research that goes into producing the study Bible, but really, what point would this new feature of our midweek meeting serve if the study notes did not match with the weekly Bible reading? 

I suspect that the brothers are further along with the study Bible than we may realise. Not to sound ungrateful, but in two whole years we have had only three Bible books released in the study Bible. To suddenly announce that study notes and media will accompany the weekly Bible reading for next year in many languages indicates to me that significant advancement has been made in the original English study Bible and in translation of its content into other languages. Perhaps they have held off releasing more Bible books until a time when the material would have more relevance. Since we will be starting the Christian Greek Scriptures in our weekly Bible reading next year, it will prompt the brothers to make more use of this helpful tool.

When you think of it, too, there would probably be less images and videos required for the books of the Christian Greek Scriptures which are comprised of letters to the congregations, as these dont really contain narratives of Bible accounts requiring geographical settings/background historical information, which would necessitate obtaining as many images and creating videos. I imagine that the books requiring the most effort would be the Gospels, the book of Acts, and the book of Revelation.

You might be right. Up until not at all very long ago, translations were not planned. But now we are casting the net wider than the GB ever did with the Reference Bible. The good thing with an online study bible is also that the text is not set in stone. Things can easily be added with further study.

Johan
It seems to me that the study edition of the bible is like the insight and the bible bounded together. It's an enhanced edition even. If I recall, brother Heard was assigned to updating the insight book (and lots of articles are already updated in the latest print) so I imagine that most research to the study edition ran concurrently to the insights research. Lots of information are already present there,  like geographic,  locations photos, meaning of certain words, etc... 

Yes, but it need to be based on the nwt.

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 12/09/2017 at 7:14 AM, jayrtom said:

I thought ‘brother Herd will be updating the Insight volumes’ was said in jest after brother herd ‘grumbled’ about how much reading he was given. At an annual meeting? When he also ‘grumbled’ about having his picture taken all the time?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

8 hours ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

I thought ‘brother Herd will be updating the Insight volumes’ was said in jest after brother herd ‘grumbled’ about how much reading he was given. At an annual meeting? When he also ‘grumbled’ about having his picture taken all the time?

You're right ;)

But the fact is that it doesn't matter if it would be brother Heard with that gigantic task... But the reference to it was to the fact that the SI was being updated... As it is indeed! :)

IMG_20170915_104149.thumb.png.f6d65097899ef6c22159ab014c75ff35.png

Edited by jayrtom