JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Special Convention 2018

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2248 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

19 hours ago, Old said:

It appears there might be some private room arrangement, though of limited number.

I know it's a strange question, but bear with me.

The letter said those with "many years in full-time service" could apply for the private room arrangement in brothers' homes.

I know it depends from country to country, but what would you say "many years" would mean in your area?

For example, in my country I don't think there are locals with 30 years of full time service (due to a previous communist regime, ban etc). So here it may mean less than that.

What about your area? Thanks for replying. :)

Edited by blueyellow

shortened the quote

I can report that publishers from all congregations in Ontario, and all Russian congregations in Canada, are eligible to apply to the Lviv, Ukraine convention, according to the letter we had read tonight.

(this is not to say that congregations in other canadian provinces aren't also being invited, just that our letter specifically mentioned Ontario, so that's all I can confirm at this point)

Edited by Brandon

We were invited yesterday to apply for the special convention in Tbilisi, Georgia. I couldn't help thinking of @Guri

I don't think many friends will apply, since the program will be in Georgian, Russian and English, and not many friends in Spain speak English (not to mention Russian or Georgian). I guess that's intentional, the letter said only a very limited number of publishers will be invited.

Edited by carlos

We were invited yesterday to apply for the special convention in Tbilisi, Georgia. I couldn't help thinking of @Guri

I don't think many friends will apply, since the program will be in Georgian, Russian and English, and not many friends in Spain speak English (not to mention Russian or Georgian). I guess that's intentional, the letter said only a very limited number of publishers will be invited.

It's a shame, though, that you won't be going for fear you won't understand the program. You'll get the full program at your own convention. This is solely to encourage the brothers and sisters attending and make them see the rare unity we have.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 hours ago, carlos said:

Carlos, 

You know perfect English so no excuses :) You will enjoy if you go to Georgia. 

My grandma went to one in mexico years ago and didn't understand a word but loved it all the same!  Somehow it's almost more fun when you can't verbally communicate because then you have to communicate by gesture; and she got lots of hugs and small gifts/tokens of appreciation from the local brothers and sisters that she got the message!

Same letter this evening here in The Netherlands.
Not all congregations are invited though. Last year we had a special convention here.
All the congregations which did not have a share in the Special Convention of last year, are now invited to go to Oslo, Norway.

What an amazing provision!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Thesauron said:

It's a shame, though, that you won't be going for fear you won't understand the program. You'll get the full program at your own convention. This is solely to encourage the brothers and sisters attending and make them see the rare unity we have.

5 hours ago, Guri said:

You know perfect English so no excuses :) You will enjoy if you go to Georgia. 

Oh, I wasn't speaking for myself. I meant the Spanish brothers in general. My spoken English is not very good but enough to benefit from the program. But my family doesn't qualify as delegates for other reasons. :)

Guri, even if we can't attend the special convention in Tbilisi I'd love to visit Georgia on another occasion. I'm curious since I read the yearbook. :)

Just now, carlos said:

Oh, I wasn't speaking for myself. I meant the Spanish brothers in general. My spoken English is not very good but enough to benefit from the program. But my family doesn't qualify as delegates for other reasons. :)

Guri, even if we can't attend the special convention in Tbilisi I'd love to visit Georgia on another occasion. I'm curious since I read the yearbook. :)

Carlos, 

Thank you. I took it as a complimemt. :)

I  went to Georgia this summer, had a short visit there. Did not want to leave. Georgia is a beaitiful place, especially  for holoday.

Please let me know if you go. :) 

On 13.09.2017 at 9:18 PM, blueyellow said:

I know it's a strange question, but bear with me.

The letter said those with "many years in full-time service" could apply for the private room arrangement in brothers' homes.

I know it depends from country to country, but what would you say "many years" would mean in your area?

For example, in my country I don't think there are locals with 30 years of full time service (due to a previous communist regime, ban etc). So here it may mean less than that.

What about your area? Thanks for replying. :)

It seems nobody wants to speculate.

I asked the elders, I'll see if 20 qualifies as "many years" in my country. 

I don't think so, as there are locals with 25 years and many missionaries.

I'll tell you what they said when I know.

1 hour ago, Adelin said:

Why are we encouraged to be at least 2 persons? Aren't there rooms for one person only? Why would it be more expensive for one? 

Because all rooms are double occupancy. No single occupancy rooms are listed. A single party can book a room but they will pay a double occupancy rate.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 hours ago, Old said:

Because all rooms are double occupancy. No single occupancy rooms are listed. A single party can book a room but they will pay a double occupancy rate.

Heh.. one of the many drags about being single and wanting to travel. It's so much more expensive  <_<

• 1 month later...

I have not heard about my application to Oslo,  but I am not expecting to hear until early January.

Perhaps if large numbers of applications have been received, the host city may try to run more convention dates to accommodate the delegates. But we will have to wait and see, and keep a waiting attitude. (Micah 7:7)

1 John 4:1 "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."

On 20.11.2017 at 10:09 PM, Adelin said:

Does anybody know when the selection will end? I wasn't notified yet and I think about making other plans in case I'm not invited.

It depends on your interest. 

If you're not selected in the first round, there's a chance you may get selected when others decide not to come.

For the 2014 convention in Greece we were notified of the selection in December.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)