JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New Iphone Release

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2337 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Oh yes. I have an iPhone 6, working perfectly. I'm jumping up and down to shell out a grand for a fancy new gadget! (Sorry for the sarcasm, but I hate this throw away society.) 

A phone is a phone is a phone! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I will only buy the new iphone if my iPhone 6 quits on me. iPhones are too expensive to be buying just because a new one comes out. I'd rather get my monies worth before buying a new one :)

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/technology/apple-iphone-event.html?mcubz=0

It looks like they have both - the iPhone 8 AND the iPhone X

https://www.apple.com/iphone/

• iPhone X is priced at $999, the most expensive ever for a new iPhone model. It will ship on Nov. 3. (Pro tip: The X is pronounced 10, and not “ex.”)

• The phone has a newer screen technology known as OLED, a type of display that can be made thinner, lighter and brighter with better color accuracy and contrast than its predecessor, LCD.

• The screen on the X has a so-called edge-to-edge display that takes up the entire face by eliminating the borders around the screen. Apple also eliminated the physical home button that has been a signature feature of the iPhone for a decade.

• iPhone 8 is also here, as well as its bigger sibling, the iPhone 8 Plus. The models include a glass body and a faster chip.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I don't like how they got rid of the physical home button. That's gonna take some getting used to. Hopefully the screen is bigger since they did this.

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

That visual thing. Phone recognition. My car is keyless. It took a bit to get used of it, but, I did. Wonderfully, no more lost keys. As long as these fancy do-dads work as they are supposed to! 

That visual thing. Phone recognition. My car is keyless. It took a bit to get used of it, but, I did. Wonderfully, no more lost keys. As long as these fancy do-dads work as they are supposed to! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Absolutely have to agree with the above statements of "don't buy unless you need to."  But, one might reason, if I have a bit of extra money, no harm done, right?

Well, consider where our phones come from: they start with armed militias gathering conflict minerals using child slaves, after which they go to Foxconn in China, where nets are installed due to the high number of employees killing themselves.

And then consumers do things like this in order to try out these new technological advances as soon as possible!

Makes me think of Paul's words to the Corinthians, "From now on, let those... making use of the world as those not using it to the full; for the scene of this world is changing."

This isn't to say 'don't buy it!' but rather, why buy?  If we need to ask ourselves "do I need it?" then the answer is usually no, even as we think of all the reasons to. (humans have that tendency to try and justify their desires when the inclination is wrong!)

If your phone breaks, maybe buy a new one. Otherwise...

• The phone has a newer screen technology known as OLED, a type of display that can be made thinner, lighter and brighter with better color accuracy and contrast than its predecessor, LCD.

• The screen on the X has a so-called edge-to-edge display that takes up the entire face by eliminating the borders around the screen.

• iPhone 8 is also here, as well as its bigger sibling, the iPhone 8 Plus. 

These features are what Samsung with their Galaxy S6 and their Note 6, both of which were 2 models ago, so I don't know what Apple is so excited about.

In answer to the OP .. never have and never will. :D

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Been on iPhones for many years now, currently have iPhone 6plus and love it! its great for the ministry I have been showing the society videos to householders on it since I got it when it was first released December 2014 and it is fantastic! never ever let me down really good operating system etc etc. Not ready to change just yet I seem to have about a three year cycle with my phones but this phone is still current and great so maybe end of next year perhaps so 4 years use will make it good value in my eyes . Iphone X looks like a great product as do the 8/8plus, Apple often come in for criticism over higher prices but real quality never came at a low price in any item does it?

Personally I love the Apple operating system and its products I have a MacBook pro since 2013 still working fantastic I use it daily and the battery is still excellent had a MacBook Pro before that for 4 years (gave it to my daughter and its still working well but could now use a new battery) and ipad pro 2 is a recent purchase with the iPencil which I find brilliant for study and also ministry.

Nothing wrong with android systems they both do a good job its just a case of personal preference.

Its just horses for courses.

Ps most of my family are iPhones and iPads also

I'm very happy to see most people here have said they upgrade once every 3 years or so. That seems sensible. (tip: if you really want to make it last longer and save money too, after 2 years, you can have the battery swapped out by an apple authorized dealer for like $100 and get another 2 good years out of it)

The main problem with apple stuff these days (and I switched to Mac 15 years ago) is that they tend to use software as a way to cause their previous generation products to become obsolete faster than they'd need to. It's like the gillette razors where they give you free handles but charge lots for ink. It's very carefully planned. That's why I switched from macOS to Linux last month after much consideration.

Still have my iPhone for now.

• The screen on the X has a so-called edge-to-edge display that takes up the entire face by eliminating the borders around the screen.

• iPhone 8 is also here, as well as its bigger sibling, the iPhone 8 Plus. 

These features are what Samsung with their Galaxy S6 and their Note 6, both of which were 2 models ago, so I don't know what Apple is so excited about.

In answer to the OP .. never have and never will. default_biggrin.png

The major difference, where Samsung and other android device developers usually fall short, is that Apple makes all these functions work well together.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

40 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

The major difference, where Samsung and other android device developers usually fall short, is that Apple makes all these functions work well together.

Johan

Nowadays it's not that anymore.

Things I don't like on this iphone X:

- The face recognition works if you look directly to the phone. That doesn't compare to the fingerprint sensor I have on my Honor 9: It's on top of the table, I touch it wit one of my fingers and it turns on instantly. If it had to be with facial recognition you'd need to pick up the phone and loo at it (or otherwise do a strange figure looking into it on the table, AFTER pressing a button (because it isn't always on like the fingerprint sensor). The reason that Apple got rid of the fingerprint sensor is because they tried to put it embedded under the screen but failed to do that (like others failed except the company "vivo") and didn't have the time to put it on the back

- The cut-out on top of the screen makes an huggly aspect (in my opinion)

- I don't like a complete screen because you want to have something to put your hand or fingers on and it is bad for the usability, specially when typing on the keyboard

-To heavy

- The bump on the back because of the cameras

- Too expensive for what it brings... In comparison there are better phones, more beautiful and way cheaper... But that's me :)

Some gags about it:

FB_IMG_1505314344183.jpg.1cfbab3539ab998a073b18e354d066c5.jpg

FB_IMG_1505314351952.jpg

FB_IMG_1505314358123.jpg

FB_IMG_1505314371498.jpg

Nowadays it's not that anymore.

Things I don't like on this iphone X:

- The face recognition works if you look directly to the phone. That doesn't compare to the fingerprint sensor I have on my Honor 9: It's on top of the table, I touch it wit one of my fingers and it turns on instantly. If it had to be with facial recognition you'd need to pick up the phone and loo at it (or otherwise do a strange figure looking into it on the table, AFTER pressing a button (because it isn't always on like the fingerprint sensor). The reason that Apple got rid of the fingerprint sensor is because they tried to put it embedded under the screen but failed to do that (like others failed except the company "vivo") and didn't have the time to put it on the back

- The cut-out on top of the screen makes an huggly aspect (in my opinion)

- I don't like a complete screen because you want to have something to put your hand or fingers on and it is bad for the usability, specially when typing on the keyboard

-To heavy

- The bump on the back because of the cameras

- Too expensive for what it brings... In comparison there are better phones, more beautiful and way cheaper... But that's me

Some gags about it:
FB_IMG_1505314344183.jpg.1cfbab3539ab998a073b18e354d066c5.jpg

FB_IMG_1505314351952.jpg.c0bc66752bef89e03e709e4ce1350563.jpg
FB_IMG_1505314358123.thumb.jpg.693c4bed751f24ae8f9beb4c4a8b7991.jpg
FB_IMG_1505314371498.thumb.jpg.1dee665c07cad2f10310018c2bb59563.jpg

Some would say it's still very much true. A matter of taste, to some extent. But the biggest problem with android devices compared to iOS based devices, is android itself.

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

That animated poop emoji about sums it up for me. If that’s a highlight of augmented reality then it’s doomed!

The 8 plus looks good but I wish they had trimmed the size a bit. My 6s plus is a little big in the case I need.

The prices here are horrendous since the Brexit thing.

The improved slo-mo looks fun.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

That animated poop emoji about sums it up for me. If that’s a highlight of augmented reality then it’s doomed!
The 8 plus looks good but I wish they had trimmed the size a bit. My 6s plus is a little big in the case I need.
The prices here are horrendous since the Brexit thing.
The improved slo-mo looks fun.

Well, it's not a highlight of augmented reality. Even the presenter himself joked about it. It's there because people want it. But the facial recognition capabilities are more than that. The animojis, or whatever they call them, just show what you can do with a machine that can read your facial muscle movements like that. Augmented reality is something else entirely, though, but a part of iOS as well.

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

4 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Some would say it's still very much true. A matter of taste, to some extent. But the biggest problem with android devices compared to iOS based devices, is android itself.

Johan

2 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Well, it's not a highlight of augmented reality. Even the presenter himself joked about it. It's there because people want it. But the facial recognition capabilities are more than that. The animojis, or whatever they call them, just show what you can do with a machine that can read your facial muscle movements like that. Augmented reality is something else entirely, though, but a part of iOS as well.

Johan

Do you work for Apple?  If not, you should,  as you seem to be a great advocate for the product. :)

Personally? Give me a Samsung any day.  I wouldn't use an ianything.  They are technological followers these days, not leaders and way overpriced.  The only reason they are so popular is due to great advertising initially from Steve Jobs, and the 'i' thing. So much easier to say 'i' this and 'i' that. :lol:

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.