JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hi fi demo

I know some are aware of my interest in hifi and music, so I'd like to tell you about a demo I went to with my wife last week.

We went to Oxford, to the Holywell Hall, in the faculty of music at the university, where a local hifi store had arranged a free concert of hifi and music.

First up was a very nice hifi system of Aurender music server, dCs Vivaldi digital processing, T+A amplifiers, Chord cables and Sonus Faber Amati Tradition speakers.  Altogether about £150,000 worth!

The music:  Elgar Cello Concerto - Jacqueline Du Pré.  Miles Davis A Kind of Blue.

Superb sound, excellent staging, a little light on bass surprisingly and WAAAY out of my financial reach!

All change and....

Chord Electronics Blu MkII cd player and DAVE dac, Chord Pre-amp, Chord power monoblocs, Chord cables and Wilson Audio Sasha speakers.  Again over £100,000.

The music:  David Bowie. Blackstar.

Now, I do not like this album at all, and even this expensive hifi did not change my opinion.  But the sound was really very good.

All change and...

Pro-Ject Signature 10 turntable, Signature arm and Ortofon Wildfeld cartridge.  Unison Reseach step up amp and phono amp, Audio Research Ref6 preamp and ATC SCM100 active speakers with built in amplifiers.  Well out of my reach too!

The music:  The Beatles Sgt Pepper, latest Giles Martin remix from the original tape and mixing notes.

This sytem was unbelievably good.  Sgt Pepper has never sounded so great. The latest remix in itself is wonderful and the system really did it justice.

After each demonstration there was a prize draw while systems were dismantled and setup.  Three prizes each time ranging from a hifi shelf worth £100 to a mid range prize and big prize worth almost £1000!

I won a middle prize in the send draw!  Amazing - I never win anything normally.

A portable music player, the Astell & Kern AKJr.  Plays high resolution flac, wav etc and has 65gb memory!  It still had the price on it - £349.

https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/content/shop/features.asp?mcg=CG110000&mpos=0&scg=CG210240&spos=2&tcg=&tpos=0&gcode=SC10990

so all-in-all a great day out!

Edited by bohemian

All right. Sometimes it happens. And it did, to you. Now, you get to enjoy it! 

(Me, a drawing was made at a tribal meeting. I walked away with a beautifully framed, large map of our tribal aboriginal land. Villages and all. It looks nice on the wall in our local health clinic) 

Yoir gift, way nice! Enjoy!!! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!