JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Tropical Storm Maria...potential disaster

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2297 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Watching Weather Channel. Looks like T S Maria could hit islands already hit by Irma. 

Specifically watching Monserrat as we have an elder and his wife (Pioneers) who go there every year (around December-March) and have some very encouraging reports when they come back. 

Right now watching and they are saying it could soon turn to a hurricane. Right now by Barbados. :(

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

Report from Puerto Rico... again...

Meetings have been suspended for the rest of the week. Ours is on Saturday, pending the condition of roads and the outcome. We are expecting Cat 5 winds (155mph+) for more than 6 straight hours... and rain... a lot of rain...

More to report soon... We're praying here for all our brotherhood and specially for our brothers in the Antilles.

http://view.e.bbcmail.co.uk/?qs=6e22cba9154730c58057a795ffcfca3dd0b7a37d7afc2ad63143e0d639ef669a20c94433018087805fec361bf79bf8a572a8b9ae2d14bc3b2039653e5846c90d

The Caribbean island of Dominica has been hit by winds of up to 160mph (260 km/h), with Hurricane Maria looking set to cause further devastation in the region. Maria has been upgraded to a category 5 hurricane - the highest rating.

The island of Martinique has declared a maximum-level alert, while Guadeloupe has ordered evacuations. Hurricane warnings are also in place for Puerto Rico, the British Virgin Islands and the US Virgin Islands. 

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

21 hours ago, richietj77 said:

Report from Puerto Rico... again...

Any updates?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Any updates?

At this time power and Internet are still up in my area. Hurricane now near St. Croix with winds up to 175 mph. It is expected to arrive here in 8 hours with winds of 160 mph aprox. We of 're now under winds of 40-50 mph. Still no words from our brothers on Dominica/Guadeloupe, but photos that are surfacing paint a major disaster for both islands.

We are still praying to Jehovah for everyone of them. And now also for our brothers in Mexico. And for our entire brotherhood around the world.

Edited by richietj77

Fast Facts—Puerto Rico

• 3,680,772—Population
  • 25,579—Ministers who teach the Bible
  • 323—Congregations
  • 1 to 144—Ratio of Jehovah’s Witnesses to population
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

One of the things they pointed out on The Weather Channel is that, unlike Texas and here in Florida, they cannot drive convoys of power truck to Puerto Rico - they have to get there by plane or boat .... adding to the response time before any work can even start.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 minute ago, Qapla said:

One of the things they pointed out on The Weather Channel is that, unlike Texas and here in Florida, they cannot drive convoys of power truck to Puerto Rico - they have to get there by plane or boat .... adding to the response time before any work can even start.

Yes I remember hearing that. Wow! 

Plus no drinking water. ,

i cant imagine what all these hurricane victims are going thru. 

They also mentioned that the Hurrican Hunters airport may be damaged as well. 

Not ot looking forward to what news we may learn tomorrow. 

Fast Facts—Dominica

• 73,000—Population
  • 437—Ministers who teach the Bible
  • 10—Congregations
  • 1 to 167—Ratio of Jehovah’s Witnesses to population

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/dominica-grapples-total-destruction-after-hurricane-maria-n802931

:(

Edited by Tortuga

5 hours ago, Loopy said:

Yes I remember hearing that. Wow! 

Plus no drinking water. ,

i cant imagine what all these hurricane victims are going thru. 

They also mentioned that the Hurrican Hunters airport may be damaged as well. 

Not ot looking forward to what news we may learn tomorrow. 

I heard on the news this morning that New York and other surrounding states in the northeast

are gearing up and heading out to Puerto Rico. 

http://abc7ny.com/weather/nypd-fdny-members-sent-to-caribbean-to-help-with-hurricane-maria-recovery/2435322/

Members of NYPD, FDNY sent to Caribbean to help with Hurricane Maria recovery

Eyewitness News
Wednesday, September 20, 2017 05:26PM
NEW YORK (WABC) --

New York City is lending a helping hand to the victims of Hurricane Maria.

Mayor Bill de Blasio is sending 27 members of the NYPD and FDNY to Puerto Rico

and the Caribbean region to assist in the recovery efforts.

They include medics and disaster relief professionals.
The members make up the city's Urban Search and Rescue team,

who will likely end up in Puerto Rico depending on the damage.

They plan to gather at a Brooklyn warehouse Wednesday,

pack up their equipment and head out to Stewart Air Force Base.

There are 28 FEMA Urban Search and Rescue teams strategically located

throughout the United States, which can be deployed within six hours of activation.

This Atlantic hurricane season, New York Task Force One has deployed

to assist in the relief efforts following Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma.

Edited by CyreJay

Just saw where people were being evacuated in Puerto Rico because of fear of a dam failure. This is in northeast Puerto Rico. 

Than someone said the BBC News has reported that it did fail.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41368478

Edited by Loopy

6 hours ago, Loopy said:

Just saw where people were being evacuated in Puerto Rico because of fear of a dam failure. This is in northeast Puerto Rico. 

Than someone said the BBC News has reported that it did fail.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41368478

Where are the dam engineers that built the dam thing? :lol: Just asking.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-23/thousands-evacuated-as-puerto-rican-dam-starts-to-fail/8977856

An engineer inspecting the dam initially reported a "contained breach", but officials quickly realised it was a crack that could be the first sign of a total failure.

"There's no clue as to how long or how this can evolve," said Anthony Reynes, a meteorologist with the US National Weather Service.

"We really don't know how long it would take for this failure to become a full break of the dam."

The video clip shows the situation isn't looking good.  Poor people having this on top of two Hurricanes.