JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Football (Soccer)

Well, I didn´t exactly know where to put this topic - we have "books", "movies", "music", etc., but no "sports". So I´ll try it here - please feel free to move the topic if there´s a more appropriate place for it.

Yeeeees, I know, some of you might look like this, when it comes to discussions about football:

:sick: :sick: :sick:

or at least like this:

:o

But for me as a big football fan (soccer - not American football), it´s nice to chat about it now and then, and I hope to find more "football-maniacs" like me in this forum:P

And of course it´s totally different to talk about such a topic with brothers and sisters than with people in the world who are poisoned by that terrible spirit of competition and fanaticism :no:

So - where are you???? :poke:

Edited by coonie77

Chrissy :wave:

'Sporting events. Sometimes sporting events are able to achieve certain goals with regard to nationalism. We see the national anthem being played at many of these events. It reminds me many years ago when I was in a different country, a friend of mine asked me to record a certain sporting event. I wasn't particularly interested in the event, but because he made this request, I recorded it. And, of course, I wanted to make sure that I got the last ten minutes of it. I thought our friendship may be strained if i didn't get the actual last part of the game. When I watched it, it was absolutely exciting, nail-biting finish. Well, after the brother gave me back the videotape, I thought maybe some of the brothers would be interested in this sporting event may want to have it rather than just wipe the tape. So I offered it to several, and each one of them said to me: "No thanks. If we had won, perhaps it would be different." Now, what was the problem? As I said to them, "Were you watching the game or were you taking sides?" An interesting concept, because here two different nations involved. So we have to be careful that even sporting events, don't stir  up within us certain nationalistic feelings, and perhaps we could take sides with regard to certain events.' - Geoffrey Jackson https://tv.jw.org/#en/mediaitems/VODPgmEvtMorningWorship/pub-jwb_201702_6_VIDEO

g_E_201203_lg.jpg

:) sis Christina 

I don't know any football games that I follow sometimes it ended up being 0-0 :)  

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

4 hours ago, coonie77 said:

So - where are you???? :poke:

Let's start by the most recent events.. Did you watch any of the Champion's League matches in the last two weeks? Who's your favorite?

I'm a big fan of Juventus :D
I was disappointed by the defeat from Barcelona... but few key players were missing on that match, so i'm hoping for better result on the rematch, which is to be played at Juventus Stadium.

This weeks win against Olympiakos was soothing :P 

5 hours ago, And_Ray said:

Let's start by the most recent events.. Did you watch any of the Champion's League matches in the last two weeks? Who's your favorite?

I'm a big fan of Juventus :D
I was disappointed by the defeat from Barcelona... but few key players were missing on that match, so i'm hoping for better result on the rematch, which is to be played at Juventus Stadium.

This weeks win against Olympiakos was soothing :P 

Dear Andrej, oh-oh, I am a Barcelona fan :D so, guess which match I watched last week? :laugh:

Well, after last year's final I didn't exactly know what to expect, but Barça had no problems with Juve this time.  

So much the worse was the match against sporting Lissabon :nope:

The victory was very lucky, they didn't play well at all. Barcelona still had problems to find their perfect squad. 

What's your forecast for the match Juventus vs. Sporting Lissabon?

18 hours ago, Adelin said:

I liked Barcelona when Guardiola was the coach... 

It is a pleasure to watch an El Clasico anytime :)

Yes, the period of Guardiola was very special :yes:

I am at Camp Nou at least 2 times a year, and I remember those matches with great pleasure...

Hi Sister Christina,

Thanks for starting this topic. I love soccer and my favorite team since the days before Messi is Barcelona. :)

Around 2005 I went to a Spanish Congregation for a year here in the U.S. to improve my Spanish in order to serve in a foreign field and that is when I started watching soccer for the first time with the Spanish friends. But back In the 1980s and 90s, soccer was hardly played here, some schools didn't even have soccer programs. The big sports were American Football, Basketball and baseball. So I wasn't raised playing soccer but these other sports, but how I wish I was. So I am grateful to the Spanish brothers and sisters for sparking my interest in soccer.

:backflip:

And I think it was Ronaldhino with his great abilities who first sparked my interest in Barcelona and then I started liking many of their other players, especially Iniesta and Macherano. And then when Messi came on the scene, Barcelona became my favorite team in any sport. 

So your last post says you go to Camp Nou 2x a year, wow, do you go for a particular game like El Clasico? 

Are you a bigger Bundesliga follower or La Liga?

We don't get many Bundesliga matches in the U.S., but when there are some big games with Bayern Munich, ESPN sometimes will televise these matches. Well thanks again for bringing up soccer here ion JWtalk, a fun topic :)

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

On ‎02‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 8:57 PM, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Hi Sister Christina,

Thanks for starting this topic. I love soccer and my favorite team since the days before Messi is Barcelona. :)

Around 2005 I went to a Spanish Congregation for a year here in the U.S. to improve my Spanish in order to serve in a foreign field and that is when I started watching soccer for the first time with the Spanish friends. But back In the 1980s and 90s, soccer was hardly played here, some schools didn't even have soccer programs. The big sports were American Football, Basketball and baseball. So I wasn't raised playing soccer but these other sports, but how I wish I was. So I am grateful to the Spanish brothers and sisters for sparking my interest in soccer.

:backflip:

And I think it was Ronaldhino with his great abilities who first sparked my interest in Barcelona and then I started liking many of their other players, especially Iniesta and Macherano. And then when Messi came on the scene, Barcelona became my favorite team in any sport. 

So your last post says you go to Camp Nou 2x a year, wow, do you go for a particular game like El Clasico? 

Are you a bigger Bundesliga follower or La Liga?

We don't get many Bundesliga matches in the U.S., but when there are some big games with Bayern Munich, ESPN sometimes will televise these matches. Well thanks again for bringing up soccer here ion JWtalk, a fun topic :)

Wow, nice to meet another Barca-Fan, Neil :ecstatic:

For as long as I can remember, I have always loved soccer (here in Germany, it´s the "number one" of all sports).  As a kid and teenager, I used to play quite well myself. The coach at our school noticed that and wanted my parents to register me in a club. Although my parents were not baptized at that time, they saw the danger and refused. (Retrospective I´m very thankful for that desicion, but at that time I was really sad).

I always used to watch matches on TV, not only the big events like the Worldcup, but also the weekly Bundesliga, the Premier League (and in the 90s also Italy´s Serie A). 

Later I fell in love with the city of Barcelona - including FC Barcelona :wub:.

Ronaldhino really was an exceptional talent (and a really cheerful guy)! My all-time-favourite Barca player is Iniesta (once he used to share this "title" with Xavi :)). 

I am lucky that my husband also is very fond of soccer (ooooooh, yes! There are men who don´t like it!!) - and we share our fondness for the great FC Barcelona :upsidedown:

So we travel to our adopted home as often as possible. The next trip - although we went there already in January & March - is actually planed in some weeks.

But unfortunately, due to the latest riots in Catalonia, we´re thinking about canceling the trip for the first time :depressed:

Back to our main topic: We have watched many Matches at Camp Nou (unfortunately not the Clasico - no "normal" person can afford it). 

And for the rest of the season, when we happen NOT to be in Barcelona, we watch the matches of La Liga on our Spanish Pay-TV-Receiver "Movistar" :popcorn:

20150929_184752.jpg