JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What's in your go-bag?

Water, water, and more water!  But seriously you can go weeks without eating and still survive, but a few days without water, and you literally just keel right over--dead. This is why the 3 by 3 rule for human survival is, you can live up to:

• 3 minutes without air
  • 3 days without water
  • 3 weeks without food

try to push past just one of these rules, and...  we'll await your resurrection.

I do in fact have a list of things to grab if I needed to quickly abandon my apartment (certain things, like medication, I cannot "pack up" ahead of time into a bag).  It includes grabbing my medication, my IDs (health, birth certificate), some physical cash*,  powdered Soylent, and throwing my cat into his cage with some of his food so we can make a quick escape.

*we are nearly completely a cashless society in Canada, so I don't even own a wallet. But I have a stash of coin for the laundry machines, which I would want to grab, since debit cards go from being the defacto standard of payment to becoming essentially worthless if the point-of-sale terminals have no internet connection. Just because it's never happened, doesn't mean it won't!

But to be honest, a more likely scenario would be losing power in the winter (no heating for a few days, under bad wintery storm, could certainly come with a risk of death). So I've focused more on how I would survive by myself here alone at home if the whole city was without power for an extended period of time.  (If I couldn't rely on grocery stores, or the pipes froze, etc.)  That's where the powdered Soylent comes in handy (seriously that stuff's amazing).  But even more important is the water.  So now in the winter I keep my fridge basically just full of jugs of drinkable water.  It's still tap water, but since I refrigerate my water anyway, I just bought several more jugs at the dollar store and keep every one of them full, since that is likely the biggest cause of death in any type of disaster common to my area, I believe.

Oh well then there's also these two big nuclear plants;  one a half hour to my east, the lake directly south, and another nuclear plant to my west!  One brother in my congregation even works at one.  But we are not on the ocean coast and earthquakes are extremely rare.  If something caused them to meltdown (which has never happened here), I'm probably toast anyway.  But the govt has already mailed out iodine pills to us which we are to take under certain conditions which they would announce to us if the time should come.  It sure does make you feel safe to receive one of these little boxes in the mail:

339EF6AA00000578-3563754-image-a-118_1461853095444.jpg

4 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I'm thinking of adding a 3L box of wine or a bottle of whisky :D

Now, you're talking.  What about a Hibachi pot/grill? Its very small like four inches high and  three inches wide. Pocket size, almost.  Its a portable barbecue. Cheap.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/town-51355-hibachi-set-with-cast-iron-grill-and-fuel-holder/885HG355.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx-2mu9fs1gIVFZd-Ch0cyAwtEAYYBSABEgI5g_D_BwE

Hope there will be something left of Napa.

Edited by alohapaulette

On 10/3/2017 at 8:36 AM, GrumpysWife said:

This is a good list to get started. 

Emergency_Preparedness_Kit_Items.pdf

What i struggle with is how are we supposed to carry all this stuff? I mean we may not be able to escape via car or even be at home when a disaster strikes. With small children as well i dont know how we would carry it all. At the moment everything is in a large suitcase which is obviously not practical. Any tips? 

33 minutes ago, shans81 said:

What i struggle with is how are we supposed to carry all this stuff? I mean we may not be able to escape via car or even be at home when a disaster strikes. With small children as well i dont know how we would carry it all. At the moment everything is in a large suitcase which is obviously not practical. Any tips? 

I have a 20 inch duffle bag in each vehicle with a lot of the basic stuff. In the garage I have two small carry on luggage with some of the larger stuff. I have crates with extra food and water. 

The total kit is designed for if we are stuck at home without power and water. The smaller parts of the kit are designed for if we have to leave. The go bags stay in the vehicles in case we have to leave in a hurry.

Plan your kit for three scenarios 

1. You are stuck in your house for several days without power and water.

2. You have one hour to evacuate. 

3. You have one minute to evacuate. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 hours ago, shans81 said:

I have a wheeled bag, a shopping cart, and a bag to carry on the back.

Yes, there are pictures of the friends carrying their bags on their backs but I think that's for illustrative purposes only. I really don't think and believe the slave is using such pictures to say we must transport our bags that way. How could it be when knowing some have bad backs, etc (worse than mine for instance)? 

Just use a sound mind when transporting if the need arises. 

A lot of people have evacuated their homes during the current fires in California, the news is constantly interviewing people that are worried about their homes.

I don't know if it will help or not but if they have a security camera in their home, they might be able to see  if their house is ok as long as they have power at the house.

If I was miles away from my home, It would really reduce my stress level if I could check the house from there...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 hours ago, Luezette said:

I have a wheeled bag, a shopping cart, and a bag to carry on the back.

Yes, there are pictures of the friends carrying their bags on their backs but I think that's for illustrative purposes only. I really don't think and believe the slave is using such pictures to say we must transport our bags that way. How could it be when knowing some have bad backs, etc (worse than mine for instance)? 

Just use a sound mind when transporting if the need arises. 

What i meant about having it all in one bag is not good if we get separated in an emergency but each persons things will not fit into a backpack either 

Edited by shans81

• 4 months later...
I began preparing my emergency equipment when the Slave began to suggest doing so.  In addition to many things, I have included in my go bag, and emergency storage.   If anyone notices something I am missing let me know.  Last weekend we drove out our emergency evacuation, and found our original idea wasn't going to work so we found a better way.  We also changed our meeting place.  We originally planned to meet at the Kingdom Hall if we were separated, but found that there were too many trees and power lines and possible hazards during emergency evacuation.  We changed the route to take if we drove because of possible flooding, and arranged for second and third meeting places.  We also discussed who the friends were that lived closest to us in case we needed to go there.
foods
Bible
canned chicken,
tuna,
2400 calorie nutrition brick,
bottled water
eating utensils, collapsable cups paper plate
Emergency Equipment
important papers
extra zip loc bags, and trash bags
extra cell phone with fully charged battery 
windup flashlight that has solar, battery, and a radio
CB Radio, with extra batteries
cotton soaked in vaseline, (for easy fire starting and long burning)
lighter
Baby wipes
soap, deodorant, shampoo and conditioner, tooth brushes, tooth paste
extra pair of eyeglasses,
set of clothing
work gloves
extra led flashlights
Blue Tarp
rope
multi tooled thingy with can opener, pliers etc.
mummy Sleeping bags for cold temps
camping stove, additional propane tanks for cooking
plastic sheeting, duck tape
inverter fully charged for emergency power

First Aid Kit
gauze, bandaids, antiseptic ointment,
medications
medical tape

In addition to the go bag I have emergency food stored in a plastic bucket at the bottom of a closet,
Emergency Food Stored
canned fruit
canned chicken
peanut butter
pasta
oat meal
sugar, tea, canned powered milk
power super food, and powered proteins
rice
candy,
maria cookies
eating utensils, plates, cups,
salt, pepper, onion powder
bottled water

Nice list. We have a cargo fan dedicated to all our first aid supplies. We even got a walki-talki and 2 plastic box 100 gallons for water.

DH is looking at the Kodak generator, solar panel with car charger and 110. Does a lot. I guess we will be waiting for a sale, around the last week end in November.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro