JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Discussion Forum

I live in Santa Rosa and the fires are insane. Where I live the fires were coming down the mountain literally 100 feet from our apartment complex, pretty sure we lost everything but we got out with our lives. The friends were quick to call and make sure we're all alright. 

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/7506978-181/fires-break-out-across-sonoma

Edited by EverlastingLifeInView

How very horrific, sister..We have been watching on the news! You and the friends there will be in our prayers. We recently fled our mobile home because of hurricane Irma here in Florida..We know the feeling, but we had several days to prepare.  Our home was spared with minor damage, so I can't imagine your situation. We are older and infirm..but whatever trials Jehovah allows, he will help us endure. We all will most likely lose all material assets eventually. I think what makes a difference is heeding Jehovah's reminders to simplify our lives to have fewer distractions in our main focus..reaching those favorably disposed to the Bible's message! We witnessed informally while at our motel..had some good experiences using our "pocket letters" that we always carry with us. :lol:

1 hour ago, EverlastingLifeInView said:

I live in Santa Rosa and the fires are insane. Where I live the fires were coming down the mountain literally 100 feet from our apartment complex, pretty sure we lost everything but we got out with our lives. The friends were quick to call and make sure we're all alright. 

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/7506978-181/fires-break-out-across-sonoma

I didn't know you were so close to the fires. I woke up at 2:30 this morning and smelled smoke.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-napa-fires-20171009-story.html

1 hour ago, SUNRAY said:

How very horrific, sister..We have been watching on the news! You and the friends there will be in our prayers. We recently fled our mobile home because of hurricane Irma here in Florida..We know the feeling, but we had several days to prepare.  Our home was spared with minor damage, so I can't imagine your situation. We are older and infirm..but whatever trials Jehovah allows, he will help us endure. We all will most likely lose all material assets eventually. I think what makes a difference is heeding Jehovah's reminders to simplify our lives to have fewer distractions in our main focus..reaching those favorably disposed to the Bible's message! We witnessed informally while at our motel..had some good experiences using our "pocket letters" that we always carry with us. :lol:

Yes everything in this system is temporary! We realise that even more now. If our home has burned down we have decided to simplify even more, work less, focus on the kingdom even more so, that is what matters, that is what's real. 

Edited by EverlastingLifeInView

Hi Sister Kelsey,

Thank you for informing us about what has happened to you and also for the updates in your area. Myself and I know everyone here feels very very bad for what happened to you and your husband. :(

I will make sure today to ask our Father to help you both to overcome this and to help you both with your wonderful goals that you mentioned.

A trial can often reveal a person's true spirituality, and your posts reveal to me that you have an outstanding attitude and spirituality to be able to immediately be focused on what you and your husband want to do for the future in simplifying your life to serve Him more fully despite just having suffered a tragedy! You could have easily been swallowed up by grief and despair, but you obviously are stronger spiritually than you may have realized! :superman:

Thank you also for being such a good example as many of us are also going to have trials and even severe trials in the future, some of us may lose our homes or receive direct persecution, but to endure for Jehovah with a shining hope like you have is my goal! :sunshine: 

What you stated here was beautiful:

"If our home has burned down we have decided to simplify even more, work less, focus on the kingdom even more so, that is what matters, that is what's real."

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

2 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Hi Richard,

You said you could smell the smoke! Are the fires near your home also? 

I hope not. :(

The Atlas fire in Napa is about 25 miles upwind from us. Some friends in our congregation live in a rural area between me and the fire, they have been advised to evacuate. :(

1 minute ago, Tortuga said:

The Atlas fire in Napa is about 25 miles upwind from us. Some friends in our congregation live in a rural area between me and the fire, they have been advised to evacuate. :(

Upwind is better than downwind, right?

3 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Hi Sister Kelsey,

Thank you for informing us about what has happened to you and also for the updates in your area. Myself and I know everyone here feels very very bad for what happened to you and your husband. :(

I will make sure today to ask our Father to help you both to overcome this and to help you both with your wonderful goals that you mentioned.

A trial can often reveal a person's true spirituality, and your posts reveal to me that you have an outstanding attitude and spirituality to be able to immediately be focused on what you and your husband want to do for the future in simplifying your life to serve Him more fully despite just having suffered a tragedy! You could have easily been swallowed up by grief and despair, but you obviously are stronger spiritually than you may have realized! :superman:

Thank you also for being such a good example as many of us are also going to have trials and even severe trials in the future, some of us may lose our homes or receive direct persecution, but to endure for Jehovah with a shining hope like you have is my goal! :sunshine: 

What you stated here was beautiful:

Brother Neil, you brought happy tears to my eyes. That encouraged me so. Looking forward to watching the broadcast tonight. 

8 hours ago, Tortuga said:

My SIL has a niece in Santa Rosa that told her a KH was destroyed.  That has NOT been confirmed yet.

My cousin in Santa Rosa also confirmed a KH was destroyed in the fire. :(

10 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

My cousin in Santa Rosa also confirmed a KH was destroyed in the fire. :(

I know which one, it was right behind our apartment complex. And it's been confirmed, our apartment complex burned down, not even sticks, all ash and rubble. The devastation in Larkfield, Mark West, and Fountain Grove is astounding.

3 minutes ago, EverlastingLifeInView said:

I know which one, it was right behind our apartment complex. And it's been confirmed, our apartment complex burned down, not even sticks, all ash and rubble. The devastation in Larkfield, Mark West, and Fountain Grove is astounding.

Dear sister, I am sorry to hear about your home, yet your positive attitude is something to be admired in this terrible situation. My family and I recently experienced Irma and were displaced for only a couple of weeks. It is surely Jehovah that gives us strength to endure events like these. Thanks to the brotherhood we felt constantly cared for. My prayers are with you and all other brothers and sisters being affected. May Jehovah continue to comfort you and your husband.

19 minutes ago, alohapaulette said:

I was thinking what could possibly be worse than all those floods.  This is worse.

Bennett valley just had an earthquake and so did San Jose where we are right now. Makes me think of the AM, it could be harder for us before the GT

I'm so sorry to hear about these devastating fires. Sending virtual cuddles! Please know you are all in our thoughts and prayers. These disasters don't seem to be slowing down at all, I truly feel the urgency in this time of the end. Please take care, friends.